Talk

Advanced search

To ask about Mac makeovers

(38 Posts)
Jizzomelette Sun 25-Sep-16 18:14:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Littlebee76 Sun 25-Sep-16 18:18:45

I haven't had one but the last time I went into the Mac store in Nottingham it was like fright night. Everyone looked ridiculously made up, my DH said they looked like men in drag!!

GalindaWithAGah Sun 25-Sep-16 18:22:31

I had one this week, although I asked for a "going out" look. I really loved the result, and the makeup artist that did it was really helpful and made sure I was confident about being able to recreate it. I'm thinking about going back to get a day-to-day look makeover smile

justilou Sun 25-Sep-16 18:23:01

It's entirely your call... with that amount of time they will probably start with a day look and then work up to drag. You can stop them when you want. First they will find a foundation colour match (half the battle done, trust me) then find a formula and concealer you like. From there you will build your "look".

Jizzomelette Sun 25-Sep-16 18:27:02

ParisienneRose Sun 25-Sep-16 18:30:54

MimiSunshine Sun 25-Sep-16 18:34:37

You'll be fine. They look so over the top made up because it's a "theatrical" brand and by that I don't mean theatre just that the high pigmentation content of their products is their USP. The staff all get told what the theme is that day / week and then create their look and go to town and why not I totally would if that was my job. although I noticed the troll doll pictures up last time and not sure WTF that's about

But in answer to your question, yes you can totally go in for a 'day time' look and usually a perfect most natural 'bare faced' but a hint of make up look uses more than full drag I did for a wedding and I looked like me but better

Champagneformyrealfriends Sun 25-Sep-16 18:38:12

MAC staff are told what look to wear - they are all qualified MUA's so you will have a great experience I'm sure!
Enjoy op.

QueenSpartacusOfTheAndals Sun 25-Sep-16 19:00:49

I'm sure it'll be fine but FWIW, I think Bobbi Brown do the best everyday/subtle makeovers. Mac are better for a night out on the town, though I'm sure they'll do whatever you ask for.

Jizzomelette Sun 25-Sep-16 19:02:15

The2Ateam Sun 25-Sep-16 19:07:25

I've had one and it was fab - definitely worth it. I had a work to wine bar look and brought the main products, like foundation, concealer, powder, blush, 2 eyeshadows, lipstick and liner! But I had none to begin with. Enjoy!

ThomasHardyPerennial Sun 25-Sep-16 19:10:17

Sounds like so much fun op! Hope you have a great time grin.

Barksdale Sun 25-Sep-16 19:24:51

MAC still test on animals so YABU.

Jizzomelette Sun 25-Sep-16 19:34:37

TheWernethWife Sun 25-Sep-16 19:41:24

I have loads of MAC lippies but I've yet to find a foundation that suits me (far too orange, make me look like an oompa loompa)

Jizzomelette Sun 25-Sep-16 19:47:18

ihatethecold Sun 25-Sep-16 19:56:32

I have olive skin and they managed to make me orange on a make over.
I also think their mascara made my eyes sting.
Some of there stuff is ok but Bobbi brown was loads better.

HeCantBeSerious Sun 25-Sep-16 20:11:59

I had one before my wedding. I asked for subtle. I ran into my boss outside who asked if I was on my way to some sort of am dram performance or drag bar. It was 2 o'clock in the afternoon. I literally scraped it all off my face and cried

Whatsername17 Sun 25-Sep-16 20:18:08

Before I had dd and my skin changed, I loved MAC. I had a session and ended up buying products bases on trying them on. I don't really like how anyone else does my face but I loved being pampered. Enjoy!

FormerlyCatherineDeB Sun 25-Sep-16 20:24:26

I had one nearly 20 years ago grin, I went with my best friend after my 30th birthday, not really my thing tbh but we almost share a birthday.

I asked for a very natural look - and got it, in fact I still use the eyeshadow shade I bought. I use so little that I make myself throw it away every few years and buy a new one.

My friend did not ask for anything and came out with tons and tons of makeup on. She looked like a porcelain doll (being polite here!).

So, a long time ago but make sure you tell them what you don't want.

The2Ateam Mon 26-Sep-16 08:38:24

In fact, you have just inspired me to treat myself to one, as I hardly any make up left!

Jaynesworld Mon 26-Sep-16 12:40:38

I had one about a year ago. I asked for a subtle and natural look and got exactly that and they matched my foundation perfectly. The only thing that I would not purchase from Mac would be their mascara it's a waste of money, you can get better ones from boots/Superdrug etc.

ElspethFlashman Mon 26-Sep-16 12:45:39

Agree the mascara isn't worth it. I mean, some of them are excellent but no better than Max Factor. They do have a great range of foundation and concealer though. And decent powders. And if you can't find a lovely daytime eyeshadow there you're doing something wrong.

I think the secret is to ask for My Face But Better, basically. The minute you express you're open to seeing what a smokey eye looks like they get a bit over excited. But I've had wedding make up done there twice and it looked fresh and perfect all night.

80sWaistcoat Mon 26-Sep-16 12:52:59

Yep, definitely be clear about what you want. I got it done and really liked it but I asked for a subtle look. It's great watching everyone else getting glammed up to the nines though!

I'm v pale too and the foundation they used was fine.

plimsolls Mon 26-Sep-16 12:54:58

I've had one and I asked for a daytime look (my face but better!) with an emphasis on them showing me all the techniques. They spent a lot of time on things to prep my skin (skincare type stuff) which was really useful.

Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now