Talk

Advanced search

What do I reply to this/is there an innocent explanation?

(244 Posts)
Fanfeck Sun 25-Sep-16 14:46:08

I want to keep this brief
I was texting a friend I've known for 4ish years through DD, a friend I have been there for through the breakdown of her marriage/health problems etc and visa versa. I only say this to explain it's definitely a friendship of sorts as opposed to just meeting for the kids.

In one of my messages I said "that's great, looking forward to it. Could really do with a chat"

I then got a screenshot back of my message with the caption "bet it isn't going to be half as interesting as it sounds"

Neither of us have replied and she's gone offline. I'm so embarrassed and I so want her to explain it away.

PinkyOfPie Sun 25-Sep-16 14:47:45

She's slagging you off to someone else. Sorry flowers

BlameItOnTheBogey Sun 25-Sep-16 14:48:16

That sucks OP. No there isn't an innocent explanation although she will probably try to find one. I'd step away from this friendship for a while.

PinkyOfPie Sun 25-Sep-16 14:48:50

I would reply saying "if I bore you I'd rather you told me rather than someone else". She either hasn't noticed or is thinking how she can squirm out of it

StealthPolarBear Sun 25-Sep-16 14:49:03

She's the one who should be embarrassed.

takesnoprisoners Sun 25-Sep-16 14:49:07

Sorry OP. Your friend is being a bitch.

SheldonsSpot Sun 25-Sep-16 14:49:10

What a weird message.

My first thought is she has been talking to someone else about you, and sent it to them.

I'd reply "what do you mean".

Coconutty Sun 25-Sep-16 14:49:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Optimist3 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:49:50

That's grim?

Just reply with a ???

WooWooChooChoo Sun 25-Sep-16 14:50:45

I agree with Pinky. In which case she sounds very childish. Try not to let her bother you. It's better to know what she is really like.

Optimist3 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:51:53

Reply with ???

Then depending on what she says next follow it with 'don't think I can make it after all'

SolomanDaisy Sun 25-Sep-16 14:51:55

It sounds like not only is she slagging you off to someone else she is potentially repeating everything you say. I like coconutty's response.

Sassypants82 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:51:58

Awh.. That's really lousy of her. I'm sorry, but there's no innocent explanation there. It's obvious she meant to send it to someone else who she's been making fun of you to. Having said that, it doesn't mean that she's not fond of you or that you'll need to end your friendship, necessarily, if you feel that it's something you can get over? Sounds like she'd been trying to look big to whoever the message was meant for. In reality, she looks a fool, mean, unkind & sly. She is obviously mortified & therefore offline. She owes you a big apology. Sorry she's done this to you. flowers

Leeds2 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:52:08

If you do meet up with her, her very careful about what you say as it will very probably be repeated to others.

VimFuego101 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:52:15

I would say nothing and let her sweat. That's really rude.

Fluffyears Sun 25-Sep-16 14:52:52

Oh I like coconuttys response I'd go with that 😁

HallowedMimic Sun 25-Sep-16 14:53:55

What was the previous message?

Could she mean that she fears she may have over-egged something she was telling you about, and you won't find it nearly as interesting as it sounded?

Like when people say 'I fell at the vet's feet this morning, but it wasn't nearly as interesting as it sounds'.

StealthPolarBear Sun 25-Sep-16 14:53:56

You could always reply and say "no probably not, just about this backstabbing friend I've got "

40somethingwonderful Sun 25-Sep-16 14:54:14

Omg what is wrong with some people ☹️

Agreed she is slagging you off. How unpleasant.

Ilikegin Sun 25-Sep-16 14:54:45

Ouch! Fuck her! At least you know what shes like now and you don't need to waste anymore of your time on her!
Just ignore it and don't turn up wherever you'd planned to go. Hopefully she will still go and waste her time.
You deserve a massive apology but I fear you won't get one!

123rd Sun 25-Sep-16 14:56:44

That's horrible. And she deserves to be found out. Really sorry op but distance yourself from her.
I would say pull her up on it ... But I know I wouldn't.

JustHereForThePooStories Sun 25-Sep-16 14:56:52

She's not your friend. Delete her number and don't engage with her again.

There isn't an innocent explanation, she's been slagging you off to someone else and has probably shared previous screenshots of personal conversations.

Horrible thing to do to you.

Jellybean83 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:57:32

Obviously that message was meant for someone else.

I'd go with Coconutty's reply.

iMatter Sun 25-Sep-16 14:58:52

Don't reply. Let her sweat.

She's a bitch. Drop her.

Goingtobeawesome Sun 25-Sep-16 15:00:18

I read it as she meant it to go to you and was trying to be funny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now