Talk

Advanced search

To think this anime character with OCD is a good thing?

(23 Posts)
GipsyDanger Sat 24-Sep-16 20:51:47

One of dh and I favorite anime is soul eater. We are re watching and it is very clear to me that they are portraying one of the characters, Death "the kid", as having OCD over symmetry. On the one hand, I think that it's good that they portray how debilitating his condition can be (but to silly extremes) and how he over comes his compulsions. But on the other hand, is it making a mockery of what a lot of people really struggle with on a day to day basis, being as OCD is banded about by people who have no idea how difficult it is to live with, and admittedly it is mostly used as 'comic relief' in the show.

I don't have OCD, but I think it might be a comfort to a child/tween who does, to see a "hero" who thinks and acts the same way as them. I honestly don't know. What do you think

http://aminoapps.com/page/anime/2041213/phycology-of-anime-1-5-ocd-death-the-kid

https://youtu.be/A72frcTrWf8

GipsyDanger Sat 24-Sep-16 21:01:00

And I think I've probably picked the worst video as an example......

CheshireChat Sat 24-Sep-16 21:15:10

It's been a while since I've watched Soul Eater but I think it's a bit too over the top to be relatable IYKWIM. Does it only affect him during the comedy arcs or does it actually impede him saving the day at some point?

I'm now trying to think of other characters that might do a better job but failing... Just Welcome to the NHK for hikikomoris I suppose.

GipsyDanger Sat 24-Sep-16 21:18:22

Both, at points it literally stops him in his tracks, but he will always 'save the day' in the end.

CheshireChat Sat 24-Sep-16 21:23:04

That actually makes things better as I said it's been ages since I've seen it.

This makes me want to start watching it again.

CheshireChat Sat 24-Sep-16 21:23:58

Also, I wonder if there's anyone else on MN that watches anime grin.

Cagliostro Sat 24-Sep-16 21:25:02

I haven't watched soul eater but I'm going to try and watch it now (when we've finished AoT, Nabari and Moribito grin), thank you for posting.

I don't have a diagnosis of OCD, I have autism though with very strong OC tendencies so it's something I feel strongly about.

GipsyDanger Sat 24-Sep-16 21:28:29

Titan is awesome. I highly recommend soul eater

LadyDeadpool Sat 24-Sep-16 21:29:21

Ahhh I love Soul Eater! I actually have OCD and Death the kid doesn't offend me at all I laugh at him and it makes it easier to laugh off my own habits, it makes it all a little more relatable. I should really watch some more of it but I got distracted by Black Butler!

There is actually an anime series my DH is watching that focuses on a different MH issue each episode which is really good but I can't remember the name of it!

GipsyDanger Sat 24-Sep-16 21:31:24

lol I am breathing a sigh of relief here, I rewatched the video and it's got Blair in it... i was like, they're gonna kill me blush

Cagliostro Sat 24-Sep-16 21:34:30

I've also enjoyed Claymore and Angel Beats (cried a lot at the latter) want to watch more of Blue Exorcist and Durarara as well.

But my anime buddy, DSD, just moved away to uni <cries>

Lady I'd be very interested to hear more about that series, I have a feeling DSD has mentioned it but can't think of the name

Iambubbles86 Sat 24-Sep-16 21:35:10

I've had an ocd diagnosis for 6 years, its reasonably mild so I'm told as my compulsions arnt that time consuming (involve repeating a phrase and touching my forehead) which is something I can do whilst functioning in normal life too (unlike someone whose compulsions are say washing their hands or something similar), however on a bad day I can do it 200+ times. I'm 100% convinced that if I Dont the bad thought I've had will come true, mainly centred around my kids being ill or losing them. I can't risk attempting to stop because if I do, then this will come to pass. There is absolute certainty there, (and please Dont make fun of me or try to convince me it won't, because if family friends, professionals and medication can't then you certainly can't).

Whilst I appreciate what your saying In that its showing people that ocd exists it doesn't even touch the surface of how debilitating and exhausting it it so be like this all the time, to be so scared that of u drop the ball for even a second the world will end and its all your fault. It does seem to me to be making fun of me and others like me (the show, not you, I honestly believe that you are not making fun of us)

GipsyDanger Sat 24-Sep-16 21:38:51

lam I totally get where you are coming from. I couldn't find a good video which highlights Kid better.

CheshireChat Sat 24-Sep-16 21:43:02

This thread makes me want to create an anime thread on MN.

I wonder how much does the fact the Japanese aren't at all open about any sort of mental illness or difficulty affect their portrayal? It's definitely easier to accept if it's treated as a joke.

LadyDeadpool Sat 24-Sep-16 22:01:24

I had to go get DH to bring it up on Crunchy Roll - It's called "Comical Psychosomatic Medicine" he says its actually really good at explaining it all in a way that makes it seem less serious.

cagliostro are you a Lupin fan by any chance? grin

I would rather people took a light hearted view of MH disorders than be afraid of the people who suffer them as I've found a lot do with BPD for instance. Honestly Iam I suffer with a stupid amount of MH issues and am registered disabled because of them but Soul Eater isn't making fun of them more normalising them and saying "hey it happens" I'm really shit at explaining this as I'm a little tipsy but honestly its not offensive at all.

CheshireChat Sat 24-Sep-16 22:47:03

Has anyone watched Stein's Gate, I always wondered if the main character may have Aspergers/ be autistic.

Cagliostro Sat 24-Sep-16 23:48:30

I am indeed Lady grin grin (that's the first comment I've had on this name actually!)

I was on an anime thread for a while under an old name but it was very quiet - I would LOVE for there to be an ongoing one...

Cagliostro Sat 24-Sep-16 23:51:22

And thank you re: the series name. You've reminded me I need to try crunchyroll on this phone to see if it works better as well.

Re mental health I feel similarly about Big Bang theory I know some people think it's poking fun, but actually I started watching it just as I realised I had Aspergers and it was perfect for me as it enabled me to see the funny side of my struggles and not feel like I had to hide who I am.

Iambubbles86 Sat 24-Sep-16 23:52:27

Lady in all honesty I've never watched the show so am maybe basing my opinions off it of the 30 seconds I've watched plus am feeling a bit tender due to some recent experiences of colleagues joking about how "ocd" they are because they like to use the one type of pen or have their files colour coded. I know I'm a bit over sensitive, I just hate who I am and how my brain makes me act, I hate the way my husband looks at me, like he's scared for me and completely helpless, when I'm having a bad day and he can see me secretly trying to do my rituals without being caught by anyone, and how much it hurts him to see how no matter what he does he can't help me, nobody can sad

Lockheart Sat 24-Sep-16 23:53:39

Soul Eater isn't one I've watched, but I agree RE Steins Gate!

The only character I can think of off the top of my head would be Levi from Attack on Titan - he's got a real thing about cleanliness. But I'm not sure I'd class it as OCD?

Iambubbles86 Sat 24-Sep-16 23:56:41

Castio now u mention big bang which is a series I am familiar with, I realise that actually it probably is me projecting as I'm sure I have aspergers too, but I'm not ashamed of that part of me, unlike the ocd part, so maybe that comes into play too. I think I am projecting, as I can see the humour in big bang and appreciate that. Perhaps I need to focus on the plus sides to my ocd as I do on my suspected aspergers (incidentally I score a 40 on AQ but have yet to get an official diagnosis)

Lumpylumperson Sat 24-Sep-16 23:59:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GipsyDanger Sun 25-Sep-16 12:02:19

I think that's what they call 'fan service' boob grabbing and commenting on size is prevalent in anime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now