Talk

Advanced search

To feel sad that our children don't have Saturday morning programmes

(100 Posts)
DonaldStott Sat 24-Sep-16 00:35:16

Going Live was my fave. Trevor and Simon were my heroes. Swing ya pants. Pork Winchester. Ninja day off etc. Ahh. I used to wake up for these programmes. So sad there is no Saturday crazy progs anymore. I even used to watch smtv in my 20's.

Castasunder Sat 24-Sep-16 00:37:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DonaldStott Sat 24-Sep-16 00:38:27

Oh yes. No 73 was one of the originals

DonaldStott Sat 24-Sep-16 00:39:09

Why don't you was school hols tho

e1y1 Sat 24-Sep-16 00:41:02

Yes!

Used to love SMTV and CD:UK and all that.

It's most likely due to the on demand TV that we have; kids now will just jump on Netflix etc.

WanderingNotLost Sat 24-Sep-16 00:41:34

Live and Kicking and SMTV. Those were the days!

IMissGrannyW Sat 24-Sep-16 00:45:02

Are you fucking mad? On glue?

When I was a kid, kids tv was on at around 1pm for 1/2 hour and then 1/4 of an hour before the news. That was it. Apart from "Listen With Mother" on the radio.

They have entire CHANNELS now.

When DD was a baby, there was the Hoobs at 6am on Channel 4 (dd was up at 4 am, regular as clockwork), then Cbeebies from 7 - 7.
BBC tv for kids is on til 9pm these days.

You don't know you're fucking born. Stick your complaints up your ass - you are being U from me.
(anticipating a load of threads from people in their twenties twittering about how hard it is these days)

DonaldStott Sat 24-Sep-16 00:45:27

Yes. My husband has just said you tube. On demand etc. But its not the same as getting up for a 3hr programme. Knowing every cartoon and every popstar and every characters u love will all be on there. I miss it.

RJnomore1 Sat 24-Sep-16 00:47:48

I was just thinking earlier about how my kids didn't know the excitement of kids tv from 3-5.
It's either 24/7 channels or all on you tube. No delayed gratification. No waiting in excitement for next weeks episode.

Sigh.

I think it leads to poor impulse control personally.

LucyBabs Sat 24-Sep-16 00:50:13

My dd watches TMNT on Saturday mornings, I used to watch it at 3pm after school..
But yes my Saturday morning programme was alive and kicking and as I got older the big breakfast grin

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 24-Sep-16 00:58:10

I was the Tiswas & Swap Shop generation. Three whole hours of actual stuff! On the telly!
With constant choice now my dc don't get the excitement but they do discriminate more. They pick Horrible Histories smile and tat sad
Swings and roundabouts. I got told off for watching telly for the sake of it (true but I was open minded) whereas my dc pick what they watch but they're buying into algorithms.

TyneTeas Sat 24-Sep-16 01:05:25

Kids got the morning with SwapShop before male grown-ups got the afternoon with Grandstand

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 24-Sep-16 01:12:21

Kids got the morning with Swap Shop while the parents stayed in bed!

augustusglupe Sat 24-Sep-16 01:27:25

I loved Tiswas!! And Swap shop with Noel and Saturday superstore with Mike Read (the DJ not frank butcher)smile

Choccywoccyhooha Sat 24-Sep-16 01:33:40

081 811 8181

LouisvilleLlama Sat 24-Sep-16 01:45:54

SMTV and CDUK, Yu-Gi-Oh and such, I used to be the first one up watch my programmes and my mum would come down after and I'd make her a tea

Neaders Sat 24-Sep-16 02:02:43

omg yanbu!!!

remember the after school cartoon slot / newsround, home and away then neighbours!
I feel sad about so many things that our kids wont experience.
Passing coded notes in class. Now they just snap chat.
Sat morning tv, the chart show, top of the pops.. omg i could go on!! I used to bring a stool into the bathroom and sit my portable tv on it on a sat morning and watch it all from the comfort of our bath!!

Our kids will never know the fear / horror / sheer terror of phoning your love interest's house phone and their MUM answered!!! omfg there was no worse fear!!!!!

i'm glad i was an 80's kid!!

Neaders Sat 24-Sep-16 02:05:21

Choccywoccyhooha
lmao!!! i can hear the jingle now!!

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 24-Sep-16 02:10:04

Going Live used to have a competition to see who could post in a single crisp in an envelope without it breaking en route.

I used to find this thrilling entertainment.

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 24-Sep-16 02:13:56

And waiting hours to see Rick Astley's latest video.

LouisvilleLlama Sat 24-Sep-16 02:24:36

My mum let my sister request a song on the box I think it was N Sync.it was when hit me baby one more time was over the top popular, she promised to let her watch the music channel until it came on, I saw hit me baby one more time so many times over that weekend

TanteRose Sat 24-Sep-16 02:24:55

Choccy nooo, the number was
01-811-8055
Oh-1-8-double1-8-Oh-55

FoxesOnSocks Sat 24-Sep-16 02:42:54

I wasn't allowed to watch Tiswas, terribly common you see (and up it was on a commercial television channel - the horror!!). It was a weekly Challenge to see how much of it I could watch before my mum got up and caught me or my sister got up and sulked threatened to tell mum enough for me to turn over to Swap Shop.

Think I developed my life long dislike of Noel Edmunds due to this!! Also not too found of Keith Chegwin either, though I utterly adored John Craven and Maggie Philbin so maybe not!!

DramaInPyjamas Sat 24-Sep-16 02:53:42

My faves were Ghost Train and Gimme 5

AlwaysDancing1234 Sat 24-Sep-16 02:55:30

I think there is too much choice now for kids IYSWIM

I remember the days of SMTV when my whole class would watch it and talk about it on Monday in the playground!
My favourite slot was "wonky donkey" just for the stupid answers, "challenge Ant" and their Friends parody called "Chums".

Also does anyone remember Dick and Dom in da Bungalow where they'd cover kids in muck and play the boooogies game.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now