My husband's anti-depressants/can't get it up

(8 Posts)
Simba84 Fri 23-Sep-16 23:14:04

God it's depressing and we are too young for this. My husband started taking anti-depressants 2 years ago - immediately I felt things change but I have tried to stay supportive. He has gradually changed to the highest dose possible after countless visits to the doctor. He hates his job, he feels low, one of our kids causes us a lot of worry - I get it. He feels better on the meds. I have found him like a zombie on them - our child is talking to him and he is just zoned out. 6 months ago, after a chat, he decided to come off them completely - he was on a special diet and felt great and didn't feel he needed them anymore. Things were good again in the bedroom. He has been better at doing activities with the kids.

Now a few weeks ago, he tells me is feeling awful and needs to go back on them. We are back to square one. I don't want him to feel bad but this is not the life I imagined for myself.

ilovesooty Fri 23-Sep-16 23:16:37

It's a known side effect of many antidepressants unfortunately.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Fri 23-Sep-16 23:19:08

If he needs them, he has no choice. Untreated depression is lethal.

Wolfiefan Fri 23-Sep-16 23:19:16

He came off the pills suddenly? You should wean off VVVVV slowly and with medical advice.

QuiltedAloeVera Fri 23-Sep-16 23:19:49

Has he done any kind of counselling / therapy?

How does he feel about it? Would he try different meds?

gingerboy1912 Fri 23-Sep-16 23:20:46

Yes sadly it is one of the side affects I'm on sertraline and it's killed my libido completely. Doesn't mean that you can't have some sort of sex life though.

QuiltedAloeVera Fri 23-Sep-16 23:22:03

Also, could it be affected by the seasons? Light-box therapy can really help some people and with an illness as nasty as depression, I'd try anything and everything.

gingerboy1912 Fri 23-Sep-16 23:23:22

If he goes back on them sharpish he might not need to be on such a high dose as previously. But it's not advisable to wait until he is really low. I found sertraline affected my sex drive once I got over 100mg a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now