Advanced search

Would you ask for a correction?

(7 Posts)
NotAsFatAsTheyThinkIAm Tue 20-Sep-16 11:29:58

I've just had an appointment at the hospital about my joint pain.

I'm a size 14/16 , not overly huge and I have Fibromyalgia.

Obviously as my health has deteriorated I have gained weight .

The nurse took my height and BMI and noted down my weight in kg.

I looked at my weight also and I am convinced I saw 86kg on the scale .

On my notes , it has been written down at 96kg.

Most of the appointment the consultant kept mentioning the rapid weight gain - pointing out that last year I weighed 85kg and now I'm 96kg.

I came home very upset .

However , when I've converted the kg to stones I am shocked ! I have not gained two stones in less than a year .

She's written it down wrong ! I'm actually 86kg .

The Dr has noted that my severe pain is due to my rapid weight increase !

He wasn't rude or mean but understandably this was the focus.

I'm seeing the nurse again in two weeks - would you ask for her to correct my weight on my records ?

I'm massively peeved about this but I'm not sure if my upset and self concious self is clouding my judgement and making it in to a bigger deal .

acasualobserver Tue 20-Sep-16 11:35:10

I'm seeing the nurse again in two weeks - would you ask for her to correct my weight on my records

Yes. I'd also express my concern about how valid the doctor's conclusion was given her mistake.

Ego147 Tue 20-Sep-16 11:38:08

Did you mention the fact that you thought your weight was 86kg?

At your next appointment, you'll either be 96 kg or 86kg - according to their scales.

Have you checked your weight elsewhere?

SunnySomer Tue 20-Sep-16 11:38:33

Yes! 10 kilos is a massive difference (in my case was the difference between being obese and a healthy weight), so you must absolutely point it out

user1473282350 Tue 20-Sep-16 11:39:02

I think you should raise it, and say "it's an easy mistake to make however, I feel that the doctors conclusions may have been drawn on misinformation. Would it be possible for you to contact him again and make him aware that this has occurred. I'd appreciate being copied in on the correspondence so I know how we are going to proceed"

I'd also ask if there's an official way you can ask for your medical records to be amended with your weight.

Ego147 Tue 20-Sep-16 11:48:57

I'm seeing the nurse again in two weeks - would you ask for her to correct my weight on my records

Hopefully it will be 86kg. So someone will see that there's a discrepancy between the 2 readings. Then it can be discussed and the Doctor will realise they've jumped to the wrong conclusion.

I can see that you know your weight in stones and pounds, not Kg - so now I can see why you didn't raise it with the Doctor at the time.

NotAsFatAsTheyThinkIAm Tue 20-Sep-16 13:04:37

I'll definitely mention it to the nurse when I next see her .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now