Advanced search

AIBU to be offended by my GP

(53 Posts)
Chocolatefiend99 Sun 18-Sep-16 13:26:29

I went to my GP on Friday just gone. I lost 2 of my senses 2 years ago following a head injury so I asked him to refer me to a specialist. he said to me why have you never been to see me about this before now. I pointed out that I went to him a few days after it happened (2 years ago) and he said I was in shock. so I went away.

6 months ago I went back to see if there is anything that could be done as I was still without my senses. my GP said he believed it was permanent but could refer me to a specialist. as he was pretty adamant the damage was permanent I didn't request an appointment with a specialist.

so after being made to feel suitably guilty by two colleagues for not following up on Friday I went back to my GP to ask to be referred so I know for certain if the damage is permanent or not. I had a 25minute wait for the GP which I was ok with as I wasn't at work however it would have been nice for the receptionist to acknowledge there would be a wait. the GP wasn't even in the building.

so on Friday my GP said I had not told him of the loss of two sense previously which I did both times. he also accused me of being drunk when the accident happened which I most certainly wasn't. his words were you was drunk wasn't you. I then find out that the hospital who treated me after my accident recorded the incident as fainting. when I was in fact unconcious for 2 hours, with a head fracture, nose bleed and sickness.

I was offended that the GP accused me of being drunk, I felt like I was being judged. I am also shocked that the hospital didn't do any tests on me when I was admitted. I had a fracture to the head which resulted in an injury to my brain.

I'm not going to submit a complaint as nothing will come of it I guess I would like to know if I am right to feel annoyed about the service I received.

OurBlanche Sun 18-Sep-16 13:44:54

No! Do complain. You need to be sure that anything and everything that could possibly help is considered and, vitally, that your medical records are corrected.. NOW!

Find your nearest PALS and ask them for help.

Sootica Sun 18-Sep-16 13:50:47

Did he refer you?
I would factually put in writing to your GP what actually happened in your accident and record your concern that he had no record on your notes of your report of loss of senses in your 2 previous visits.
Also rather than asking if you had been drinking in a neutral way that the phrasing was "you were drunk weren't you" making an entirely unreasonable assumption

Chocolatefiend99 Sun 18-Sep-16 13:52:03

thanks for the link. whilst I was there Friday he added more notes to my record about what happened when I ended up in hospital. he also expressed his annoyance that the hospital hadn't recorded what happened accurately or in any great detail. I just don't know why he didn't refer to my record the first or second time I went to see him.

Chocolatefiend99 Sun 18-Sep-16 13:55:59

yes he has referred me. my friend works on nhs call lines so I knew they can't ask questions like that or be judgmental in any way. my GP is known for his inappropriate comments. my GP wasn't with me when it happened so he could never have known if I was drunk. only I know

ImperialBlether Sun 18-Sep-16 13:57:35

Do you have a history of problem drinking that the doctor knows about?

thenightsky Sun 18-Sep-16 13:57:41

Definitely complain! You've been treated shockingly badly shock

Trifleorbust Sun 18-Sep-16 14:04:33

Sounds like a very weird conversation. I would complain.

Chocolatefiend99 Sun 18-Sep-16 14:10:13

my family all go to the same GP who we've had since birth. he has made many strange remarks over the years. he is not known for his professionalism. I was telling him that a witness said I had stopped breathing, he said well you're breathing now. dismissing what I said. he is eccentric and was even in the local paper for breaching the peace.

I wish I had been more forceful at my first visit. at least I will know if there are any other underlying issues caused by my head injury

Olddear Sun 18-Sep-16 14:10:35

Where did he get the idea you drunk? Had you been drinking at the time off the accident but not drunk as such? If so, perhaps the discharge letter from the hospital mentioned you smelt of alcohol.....

Chocolatefiend99 Sun 18-Sep-16 14:12:32

no there are no issues with drink that the doctors knows about. I very rarely drink. I would say I am closer to tee total than a drinker. I only had 4 drinks when it happened. though I hadn't eaten all day. plus I offended the guy I was with at the time so I think passing out was a combination of al them things

AmeliaJack Sun 18-Sep-16 14:12:49

Change GP

Chocolatefiend99 Sun 18-Sep-16 14:13:33

I told him I'd had 4 drinks. it wasn't the reason for me passing out but he seemed to think I was drunk and that was the reason. I was far from drunk.

Chocolatefiend99 Sun 18-Sep-16 14:15:08

the accident happened in a bar, the ambulance came and got me from the bar so the hospital would have known I was drinking

Italiangreyhound Sun 18-Sep-16 14:15:48

He sounds like a loon. I would definitely complain! But I would also focus on getting the best care and support now, from the hospital and from a GP (if you feel it is right and possible to change GP, then do).

Good luck, thanks

Italiangreyhound Sun 18-Sep-16 14:17:39

Whether you were drinking of not this is immaterial to the long term affects of what happened in terms of sorting out happened to you! It may or may not have contributed in some way but as drinking alcohol is a perfectly legal activity (assuming you are 18+) then I can't see what bearing it should have on your medical care.

Chocolatefiend99 Sun 18-Sep-16 14:18:27

thanks Italian. I probably should say the senses I have lost aren't the more crucial senses like sight and hearing so may fall could have been much worse. I have lost my taste and smell so it isn't life changing just really annoying and frustrating

Chocolatefiend99 Sun 18-Sep-16 14:20:13

unfortunately I am a good few years past being 18 so was drinking legally.

PossumCreek Sun 18-Sep-16 14:45:45

I think you should definitely complain and change your GP.

Also, if you need advice and support regarding loss of smell and taste there is lots of info here


Chocolatefiend99 Sun 18-Sep-16 14:53:12

thanks possum for the link. I did lots of research when it happened and have kind of just now just resigned myself to it. i will have a read of that website. there is a other doctors surgery next to my house I may look to register there instead

GreatFuckability Sun 18-Sep-16 14:59:36

my question would be why you are still with a gp who you think is unprofessional and makes inappropriate comments.

JellyBelli Sun 18-Sep-16 15:01:05

Change your GP and complain about him.

Chocolatefiend99 Sun 18-Sep-16 15:11:17

In all honesty I hadn't even considered the option of changing GPs until it has been mentioned by PPs. there is also a resigned acceptance that's just the way he is. I very rarely go to the doctors. this is the first issue I've had which meant I needed to go to the GP

Chocolatefiend99 Sun 18-Sep-16 15:11:54

sorry should have said first issue in a while

grannytomine Sun 18-Sep-16 16:00:50

no there are no issues with drink that the doctors knows about. I very rarely drink. I would say I am closer to tee total than a drinker. I only had 4 drinks when it happened. though I hadn't eaten all day. plus I offended the guy I was with at the time so I think passing out was a combination of al them things

I'm tee total, I haven't had 4 drinks in my life let alone one night! Having said that he doesn't sound like he is listening to you. Is there another doctor you could see at the surgery?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now