In not wanting to tell Boots my decision for declining DD's flu vaccine?

(43 Posts)
Quills Thu 15-Sep-16 17:11:42

DD (Year 3) came home with a letter and consent form today, all branded with the Boots logo, asking my consent for her to have the seasonal flu vaccine at school.

DH and I don't want her to have it at school, for reasons we're comfortable with, and made the same decision last year, when all we had to do was not take her to the pharmacy to get the vaccine.

However, this year I have to fill in the medical history form, and then, and I quote If you decide not to provide consent, please return the consent form detailing your decision.

Why the hell should I tell Boots our private reasoning? Surely a simple yes or no should suffice. AIBU in finding this rather intrusive?

WhatamessIgotinto Thu 15-Sep-16 17:13:56

It may be for research purposes, but no, you don't have to tell them and YANBU.

Brandonstarkflakes Thu 15-Sep-16 17:14:18

The same question was on the NHS one that we got from our school this year, and i did think it was an odd question (DS is having it this year for various reasons even though we have never done jt before).

You don't have to answer it though do you, so whats the problem? Presumably people who are comfortable answering will, and those who aren't won't?

MissKatieVictoria Thu 15-Sep-16 17:14:19

Not at all unreasonable.
She is your child, and it is your decision til she is an adult herself, to make these decisions.
I refused my MMR booster and didn't have to give a reason, and i have never even heard of annual flu shots being a thing

Farmmummy Thu 15-Sep-16 17:14:37

I would (and have in other intrusive situations) write I/ we decline consent for my/our own considered reasons signed:xxxxxx
No one has challenged it yet

Brandonstarkflakes Thu 15-Sep-16 17:14:56

And yes, its just for research purposes.

Niloufes Thu 15-Sep-16 17:16:14

If it just says "detailing your decision" then all you need to do is say you've decided not to get your DD vaccinated, no need to say why. The detail is the decision yes or no. There are no reasons requested on the form.

Niloufes Thu 15-Sep-16 17:19:14

Also I should add that the school will need to have a record of no consent given as well as consent given, hence the reason to return the form even if you aren't getting the vaccine. The school needs to know that the child hasn't just lost the form etc.

DavidWainwrightsFeet Thu 15-Sep-16 17:20:33

I think it's worth them asking because sometimes people decline for reasons which are ill-informed or not applicable - maybe they want to refuse because their child has a severe needle phobia or they are very worried about mercury, or their child has an egg allergy. Clearly if the vaccine is an egg-free, mercury-free nasal spray then it's in everyone's interest to get the reasoning out in the open.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 15-Sep-16 17:20:53

It's just asking you to return the form even if you don't consent.

DavidWainwrightsFeet Thu 15-Sep-16 17:27:51

Although I would defend the request for your reason, I also would read "detailing your decision" as meaning Yes or No - unless the form says "If No please state reaso".

Sirzy Thu 15-Sep-16 17:30:04

Ds can't have the one given in school, I just explain why and make it clear that he will get it at the GP.

Just leave that box blank if your not happy.

noblegiraffe Thu 15-Sep-16 17:40:03

I guess they might want to know so they can better target their parent information leaflet for next year.

Dontyoulovecalpol Thu 15-Sep-16 17:45:04

You don't seriously think you need to tell them, surely?

Milanisabadman Thu 15-Sep-16 17:45:24

Had the same thing today. Our reason was: "We don't want her to have it". The end.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 15-Sep-16 17:47:38

"No dd will not have the flu jab in school"

Easy peasy!

thoughtsaslongascigarettes Thu 15-Sep-16 18:20:55

Why can't she have it in school?

HighwayDragon1 Thu 15-Sep-16 18:22:27

I'd go with the mum "because I said so that's why" line

idontlikealdi Thu 15-Sep-16 18:24:11

They haven't asked you to say why they are just asking for your decision.

ateapotandacake Thu 15-Sep-16 18:25:19

If you don't want her to have it I think you should say- it's no skin off your nose is it and it might prevent other people making the same decision as you if boots can find some way to educate people from your answer?

sentia Thu 15-Sep-16 18:28:59

I agree with PPs saying it helps them communicate better if they know why people decline. It helps overall vaccination programme success if better data about reasons for uptake rates can be gathered.

OutDamnedWind Thu 15-Sep-16 18:32:24

Is it not just a turn of phrase? I'd read that as 'return the slip letting us know your decision'.

whirlwinds Thu 15-Sep-16 19:05:04

Just say a brief reason and send it in. In our case we use the gp for flu vaccine and never missed one.

honkinghaddock Thu 15-Sep-16 19:07:00

They are just saying 'please send the form back'.

John4703 Thu 15-Sep-16 19:13:51

I wonder why anyone would want to let their child have flu. Surely a quick vaccine is better than days in bed feeling really ill.
Far easier to get it at school than anywhere else. I'll need to go and get mine from my GP soon which means going to the surgery and that takes more time than getting it in school used to do. mind you my GP is really good looking and I've not seen her since my flu jag last year so why am I complaining?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now