Talk

Advanced search

To think my drive is not a public turning circle

(114 Posts)
Quicksharp Thu 15-Sep-16 10:16:18

We live on a quiet road but it seems our driveway has become public property.
Whilst I acknowledge that you can't avoid delivery vans taking liberties and turning round where they can (& it seems our drive is the best place on the whole of our street for this activity), our new neighbours across the street have now started using our drive to reverse back onto in order to turn out of their own drive (& appear to have advised all their (numerous) visitors to do the same).
It sounds petty writing this but we manage to reverse out of our property without invading their drive so I can't help but think they are being a bit cheeky and getting into a habit that I would like to nip in the bud.
AIBU to see this as an irritation?

Sirzy Thu 15-Sep-16 10:18:41

Can you park at the bottom of your drive? Or get a gate?

WaitrosePigeon Thu 15-Sep-16 10:19:55

YANBU. I would park my car at the end of the drive so they can't do it!

we need a diagram

Quicksharp Thu 15-Sep-16 10:21:02

My husband has left his car at the bottom of the drive for the last two nights but I wondered if this seemed confrontational - although it is our drive after all..

tornandhurt Thu 15-Sep-16 10:21:57

Not at all, in fact I could have written your post myself. We experience the exact same thing and it drives me insane, especially in the evening when the lights then shine through my living room or bedroom window!! - to top it off one of the neighbours in question specifically parks their only car right on the end of their own drive (it can fit at least 4) because they don't like people doing it to them!!!! blimey you got me started now!!

PippaFawcett Thu 15-Sep-16 10:24:29

I can't get worked up at people occasionally turning around in someone's drive, say if they are lost. However, neighbours using each other's drives is a no no, there is something wrong with their driving if it can't be managed without this.

Quicksharp Thu 15-Sep-16 10:26:23

Torn we obviously have a similar problem 😉 They have enough space on their drive for 4 or 5 cars also!
I know there are bigger problems to have but it really annoys me when you see a car pulling onto your drive thinking you have a visitor and then it is just some chancer turning round.

BackwardElephants Thu 15-Sep-16 10:27:08

You need penguin bollards!

Quicksharp Thu 15-Sep-16 10:29:08

Pippa I know - that's exactly my point. When they have had to turn into the road (rather than our drive 😬) they make a big song and dance about - over revving their engines and looking daggers at us because we dare to be parked in their way on our own drive!

Quicksharp Thu 15-Sep-16 10:31:40

My dh and our son were stood on the drive the other day as he was taking him for a ride on his bike and one of their visitors was getting visibly annoyed waiting for them to move so they could use our drive - cheeky mare!

Quicksharp Thu 15-Sep-16 10:32:11

What are penguin bollards Elephant?

PippaFawcett Thu 15-Sep-16 10:33:12

Aren't people strange?! It is interesting that you (ie a normal member of society) doesn't want to leave their own car on their drive in case it seems confrontational, but your neighbours clearly aren't worried what you think about them!

JudyCoolibar Thu 15-Sep-16 10:37:21

I can't really get stressed about people using my drive to turn with, but I can see it's annoying when it's the same people doing it because they're incompetent. I wouldn't worry about leaving the car there seeming confrontational. But maybe you should start using their drive to turn in?

Ego147 Thu 15-Sep-16 10:38:43

Think you've got problems? I saw a bloke in a car using his car to push another car along the street so he could park his car. I'm hoping that the pushed car also belonged to his household.

Quicksharp Thu 15-Sep-16 10:38:58

I just wrongly assume that people are thoughtful respectful and considerate to their neighbours - I wouldn't dream of just abusing others generosity / property etc but it seems we're not all like that.

toopeoply Thu 15-Sep-16 10:39:12

What's the harm though, with them turning for 30 seconds. It wouldn't bother me

Quicksharp Thu 15-Sep-16 10:41:24

Judy - that thought had crossed my mind but then i thought it would maybe give them a green light, as if it made it acceptable behaviour if we were all doing it. (I overthink things 😂).

Quicksharp Thu 15-Sep-16 10:42:02

Ego shock grin

loz12345 Thu 15-Sep-16 10:46:42

YANBU. I say this everyday, I live on a quiet street but the primary schools back gate is at the end of it so at school run time it is madness, DS was stood on our drive with his scooter waiting for me to lock up when a mum who was in too much of a rush to look swung into our drive to turn round and gave him and me a huge fright and she just bloody waved.

It has got really bad with the start of the new term that one of the neighbours has started putting cones out at the end of his drive, but to soften the blow a bit he has made signs that he attaches to them and the fence with smiley faces on grin

Quicksharp Thu 15-Sep-16 10:46:52

I hear you toopeoply but it's the fact that it is not necessary - they can turn into the road to reverse out just like we do - it just seems to me to be a bit cheeky and uneccessary to persistently disturb us just so they don't have to turn the steering wheel a few more degrees.

pepperpot99 Thu 15-Sep-16 10:49:08

It would definitely bother me. OP you are definitely NOT BU. Your neighbours are taking the mickey. I would continue to park at the end of your drive so they realise you don't want them to use it as their personal turning point.

Quicksharp Thu 15-Sep-16 10:49:58

Loz how horrible - glad she managed to stop and the outcome wasn't more devastating. Lol at the smiley faced cones to soften the blow grin

Quicksharp Thu 15-Sep-16 10:51:52

Glad to know I'm not the only one who would find this annoying - feel better about our little "car at the end of the drive" stance now smile

YelloDraw Thu 15-Sep-16 10:53:45

My dh and our son were stood on the drive the other day as he was taking him for a ride on his bike and one of their visitors was getting visibly annoyed waiting for them to move so they could use our drive - cheeky mare!

That is well cheaky!

If you see them about to do it - go out and ask them not to.

JennyOnAPlate Thu 15-Sep-16 10:54:00

This would fuck me right off too op. Can you put gates at the entrance to your drive?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now