We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To hope Mel and Sue stop presenting GBBO?

(28 Posts)
NapQueen Thu 15-Sep-16 00:58:03

I like the bake off.

I do not like the presenters.

Countless threads atm about it all but I'm going to say here and now. I do not like Mel and Sue on this. Shame as I like Mel generally.

Roll on the move to C4.

TaterTots Thu 15-Sep-16 00:59:04

No need to hope - they've quit.

NapQueen Thu 15-Sep-16 01:11:12

Grand.

I also don't get why there's two presenters. It's not that much and alongside two judges one would be enough surely?

StrawberrytallCake Thu 15-Sep-16 01:20:14

Boooooooooo

kerryob Thu 15-Sep-16 01:21:13

Wow you must be the only viewer who is happy about the changes!

NapQueen Thu 15-Sep-16 01:24:11

Honestly I find them so un funny. I do like the judges, especially Mary, but their naff puns and weird comedy - stroking chins and the weird "baaaaaake" makes me want to switch over.

5BlueHydrangea Thu 15-Sep-16 01:44:55

I find them very irritating too! The 'Bake' in the high squeaky voice especially. Grr.

AlMinzerAndHisPyramidOfDogs Thu 15-Sep-16 06:40:49

Nooooo - they're part and parcel of the show. Love them on it. Gutted they have left.

bloomburger Thu 15-Sep-16 06:49:08

I find them irritating too.m just hope it's not bloody fleshy lipped Jamie Oliver taking over. Mind you I'm not sure how he'd square the amount of sugar being used with his evangelical position on the powdery white stuff.

camelfinger Thu 15-Sep-16 06:52:03

I don't watch GBBO because of Mel and Sue. But I like the fact that they are gently entertaining and unobtrusive, without making the show all about them.

2littlepiggies Thu 15-Sep-16 06:53:28

They quit ages ago so you're a bit late

Glastonbury Thu 15-Sep-16 06:54:54

They aren't funny and the silly put on accents are embarrassing.

Katinkka Thu 15-Sep-16 07:19:32

Agree. Can't be doing with them.

TwinkleTwinkleLittleBat Thu 15-Sep-16 07:20:33

Years ago they did a programme called Late Lunch which was quirky and funny. Then they seemed to largely disappear for ages.

But on GBBO, no I don't really understand what they're supposed to be on it for confused and don't find them particularly funny or think they add much. In fact if I was mid bake running out of time and Mel was twittering rubbish at me I might whack her with a bun tin.

I only mildly follow it though. Why does it matter so much if it goes to C4? And why would Mel & Sue give it up if it's the biggest TV job either had in years?

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Thu 15-Sep-16 07:24:50

I love them. So does DS. So YABU. I'm feeling very glum about it.

Weird thread though. They've said they won't be doing another series already.

SoupDragon Thu 15-Sep-16 07:25:20

Why does it matter so much if it goes to C4?

Because it will be instructed by adverts not his shorter and more disjointed.

And why would Mel & Sue give it up if it's the biggest TV job either had in years?

Because they don't want to do it.

whywonthedgehogssharethehedge Thu 15-Sep-16 07:45:18

*Why does it matter so much if it goes to C4?*

When it's been on commercial tv in other countries they cut out an entire challenge which alters the format.

*And why would Mel & Sue give it up if it's the biggest TV job either had in years?*

Could be they want to take a stand against the move, they want to remain loyal to the bbc or simply that they know it's likely to be a disaster so are jumping ship now. Also it may be their biggest to job for a while but they do quite a lot of stuff that's not as known. Bake off has raised their profile and given them other opportunities. They won't starve. Also the BBC will likely value the loyalty and that statement they made.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 15-Sep-16 08:08:16

Good Lord,there are some joyless people around! If I disliked a presenter/s that much I would turn over.

I really like their gentle humoursmile

woodhill Thu 15-Sep-16 08:18:15

I find the "bake" voices irritating and it was better when only one of them was on it the other week.

It will be rubbish on channel 4 with them having extra bits (think compulsive cleaners where they repeat the same strap line every episode about Hayley cleaning her bath in high heels yawn)

BibbidiBobbidi Thu 15-Sep-16 08:25:31

I think they're okay presenters when they're not presenting together, they remind me of children competing to get their favourite teachers attention at school hmm
I also don't understand why they can't say the word bake in their normal voices.
I don't mind it moving over to C4 and I don't mind that Mel and Sue are gone but I don't think I'll be watching if it doesn't have the same judges sad

EdmundCleverClogs Thu 15-Sep-16 08:35:27

I don't usually like silly humour (the Miranda Hart school of naice comedy), but I think they are great. Comedians are usually very 'look at me, look how funny I am!', which is fine for panel shows, not so much presenting. They have a great balance of entertainment and sharing the screen with the judges and contestants. I've heard they genuinely care about the competitors, even after the show is done. The show will be much poorer without them, you could tell they were in it for the fun not the money. I think they have been done a great disservice actually, they took on a silly little baking show that could have gone nowhere, and made it what it is today.

CousinCharlotte Thu 15-Sep-16 09:01:17

I don't watch GBBO, but I like Mel & Sue and hope they get their own show.

londonrach Thu 15-Sep-16 09:12:34

Agree. Dont know who they were but they reminding me of a fly that kept buzzing around pestering the bakers. Glad theyve gone 😊

duskonthelawn Thu 15-Sep-16 09:20:22

I'm quite glad they've gone too.
I think they fit the show well but constantly pestering the contestants, the stupid voices, the accents... SO irritating. In fact I was surprised they were still allowed to do the accents for this long without complaints.

Thecatgotmytongue Thu 15-Sep-16 09:24:07

I'm really sad they're leaving. I love Sue Perkins in particular. I hope she'll do something else soon.

If or when GBBO leaves the BBC and has new presenters (I'm unsure what is actually happening now) I doubt I'll carry on watching. I can't see channel four improving it ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now