Was it a flea?

(17 Posts)
LifeInJeneral Wed 14-Sep-16 23:48:03

Sitting on the sofa happily watching bake off and suddenly felt a tickle in my arm. Little creepy crawly on it, assumed was a fly but it seemed to jump in the way fleas do....
Now I have a dog, he is jet black so obviously I checked him but it's hard to tell on a black dog. I haven't noticed him scratching. I can't see any bits on him but again tricky with black fur.
I was at a friends earlier and she has a dog and some cats but I don't think it would have stayed on my for that long so don't think it could be from there. I just don't know if it was a flea or could it have been something else. I will obviously be rushing to the shops for spot on tomorrow as he is almost due some anyway.
AIBU to go nuts and buy ALL OF THE FLEA PRODUCTS and then burn the house to the ground?

TheFlyingFauxPas Wed 14-Sep-16 23:53:45

Is your dog flea protected? They last a while on people - my friend made me lol once telling me about finding one on her when she was sat at work. Her cats had them 😞 My cat then also got them so either she brought them to my house or I took them home from her house. Shitting jumpy bitey bastards

TheFlyingFauxPas Wed 14-Sep-16 23:55:30

# shitting jumpy bitey indestructible bastards

TheFlyingFauxPas Wed 14-Sep-16 23:56:43

Found 4 in my bed one night. Could feel them. That was a joy.

LifeInJeneral Wed 14-Sep-16 23:57:50

He is protected but needs a top up...hmm...I had a cat years ago and remember the utter hell of trying to get rid of the fuckers.
I didn't know they could stay on humans for a bit though so hope that it was just from their house and go out tomorrow and get some flea stuff for the dog in case he picks them up..?

LifeInJeneral Wed 14-Sep-16 23:58:59

Haha I know I remember them getting tangled up in my hair when my cat had them and I could feel them jumping around and it was all I could do not to rip my scalp off!

MyKingdomForBrie Wed 14-Sep-16 23:59:23

Don't get the crap from the shop, get some Advocate from the vets. Only thing that will guaranteed do the job!

gamerchick Wed 14-Sep-16 23:59:28

I found one sitting on my leg once travelling home with me from work. The ex brings them to my house from his flea infested hovel.

When you say from the shops, you mean from the vets don't you? Shop stuff is shit.

SabineUndine Wed 14-Sep-16 23:59:51

You need only panic if it turns out to be a human flea. I speak from experience.

LifeInJeneral Thu 15-Sep-16 00:00:37

I will go to the vets if it will work better, I will try the advocate stuff

LifeInJeneral Thu 15-Sep-16 00:01:15

What? what? WHAT??? human flea?what?

SabineUndine Thu 15-Sep-16 00:05:43

Fleas are species-specific. They only breed on 'their' animal. If you get one that needs a human host you may end up defleaing your whole house and crying down the phone to anyone who can give you advice.

TheFlyingFauxPas Thu 15-Sep-16 00:08:38

Ooh now I was too recently that a flea is a flea. Not animal specific. I'm off to google..

LifeInJeneral Thu 15-Sep-16 00:10:41

Good God. I don't have any bite marks and the bug I saw would have been an adult flea by the size of it so I'm hoping that means I would have noticed if it was a human flea. I will definitely be straight down to the vets tomorrow to get some flea stuff. Will I need an appointment with the vet to get it or can I buy it without an appointment?

TheFlyingFauxPas Thu 15-Sep-16 00:11:28

I was wrong!

Flea species include:
◾Cat flea (Ctenocephalides felis)
◾Dog flea (Ctenocephalides canis)
◾Human flea (Pulex irritans)
◾Moorhen flea (Dasypsyllus gallinulae)
◾Northern rat flea (Nosopsyllus fasciatus)
◾Oriental rat flea (Xenopsylla cheopis)

Over 2,000 species have been described worldwide.[2]

Maybe it was a moorhen flea 😁

TheFlyingFauxPas Thu 15-Sep-16 00:12:27

Ddog has started on Bravecto. 1 tablet every 3 months.

SapphireSeptember Thu 15-Sep-16 00:16:31

The 'human' flea is more likely to be found on pigs nowadays, cat and dog fleas will happily bite humans. (Dunno why I'm reading this thread, I'm going to start itching!) I did have one living in my hair for three days once, urgh! (This is why I'm anti pets.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now