AIBU to think that this is not a 'bad' word

(99 Posts)
Idontneedanotherhero Wed 14-Sep-16 21:27:33

I use the word 'flipping' quite a lot, for example: 'flipping heck I've dropped my keys', or 'where on earth is that flipping hat' - you get the idea. DH was putting DD (3) to bed earlier and her pillow fell off the bed. 'Oh no, my flipping pillow has fallen off!' says she. DH very upset with me, says it is awful to hear words like that coming from her mouth! I can't really see the problem! Opinions please....

RedGrapeCornSnake Wed 14-Sep-16 21:29:01

How the fuck does he cope on shrove Tuesday with all those pancakes needing flipping?

He's over reacting - obviously

PotatoBread Wed 14-Sep-16 21:30:01

Your DH needs to chill the flip out

CecilyP Wed 14-Sep-16 21:30:13

What do he thinkshe was saying?

Idontneedanotherhero Wed 14-Sep-16 21:30:21

Hahaha I may put the shrove Tuesday argument to him!

Idontneedanotherhero Wed 14-Sep-16 21:31:06

He knows what she was saying Cecily, he didn't mistake it for something else, he just thinks she shouldn't be saying it!

JenLindleyShitMom Wed 14-Sep-16 21:32:45

Of course it's not a bad word. It's the context that makes it unpleasant. Just like bitch isn't a bad word when referring to female dog but is when used about a woman.

Ratley Wed 14-Sep-16 21:34:22

I think it isn't the word as such but the context. So flipping pancakes no problem, but 'flipping pillow' in place if an expletive not pleasant.
I agree with him but I am a none swearer.

WickedLazy Wed 14-Sep-16 21:35:06

If it makes you feel better, the first time our dog realised she could jump on the dining room table, our then 4 year old shouted "oh fuck " blush and about a week later called he dp an asshole, when asked where he learnt that word (not one we use) he said that's what my granda calls you blush

WickedLazy Wed 14-Sep-16 21:35:57

he called dp*

ILoveCwtches Wed 14-Sep-16 21:36:00

I was playing Pokémon Go the other day with my 3 year old. She said, "Not another blooming Pidgey!" DP doesn't like that she says it but only mentioned it once - I found that an overreaction.

In short, your DP is overreacting, too.

Blooming, flipping etc are fine. My Nan would never have dreamt of swearing but as a true Yorkshire lass, "Blooming heck" was often uttered by her! grin

DonaldStott Wed 14-Sep-16 21:39:33

Definitely overreacting. Flippin' is in the same class as bloomin' imho.

DietCockBreak Wed 14-Sep-16 21:59:53

Meh. I've been known to utter the words "fucking hell" on occasion when something annoys me. My 3yo ds once told me his sister was "being fucking owl". He meant being annoying, I assume. I was pleased I'd curbed my swearing enough that he wasn't quite able to get the word or the context right. Go me! Your dh would have had a flipping fit. He needs to get the flip over himself immediately.

GabsAlot Wed 14-Sep-16 22:00:38

i woldnt say flippin is bad

i think its bfunny when toddlers copy things they have no idea what theyre syng

ABloodyDifficultWoman Wed 14-Sep-16 22:02:27

WickedLazy - I just laughed out loud at that! grin

AtSea1979 Wed 14-Sep-16 22:06:12

I think words that replace swear words aren't nice but then my DD told me her book was a load of crap the other evening so maybe flipping isn't too bad on reflection.

reup Wed 14-Sep-16 22:16:12

My son once lost his golden time for swearing - he had said "heck". I was so cross I complained to everyone. I think it was in several picture books and cbbcs shows at the time too.

Idontneedanotherhero Wed 14-Sep-16 22:31:07

Some of you are hilarious! I feel much less bad. Actually, to be fair I didn't feel bad I the first place but nice to have some corroboration even if some don't agree confused

sirfredfredgeorge Wed 14-Sep-16 22:59:02

It's a minced oath, and for me it's just as offensive as using a proper swear word, however it was used at an appropriate time for swearing, so I wouldn't be worried at all. However it might be a time to remind that the use of the language is not always liked by all, so should probably be avoided unless you really need to. Even though fewer people dislike minced oaths, lots of people still don't.

I'm unalarmed by DD (5) properly swearing if she needs to, but would generally remind about watching who's around.

emilywemily Wed 14-Sep-16 23:08:40

Overreacting is a massive understatement what a fucking tool grin

Truckingalong Wed 14-Sep-16 23:14:23

Sirfred - you find flippin offensive but you don't mind if your 5 year old swears? Eh?????

Cherryskypie Wed 14-Sep-16 23:22:58

Keep 'flipping.' However distasteful your DH finds it to hear it from your 5 year old it's a hell of a lot worse to be a grown woman who when startled comes out with, "Gosh!" blush I feel like I've fallen out of a P.G. Wodehouse story lately.

AmeliaJack Wed 14-Sep-16 23:25:01

We don't have any swearing at home in front of the children. None.

So I wouldn't like any word which replaces a swear word either so flipping, heck, sugar etc

Apart from anything they just aren't necessary.

WindPowerRanger Wed 14-Sep-16 23:29:01

I'm with your DH, I have to say. Just do as I do and teach your DD silly expressions to use instead. 'Poo Bum!' is the current favourite.

PaulAnkaTheDog Wed 14-Sep-16 23:35:49

I'm with your husband. It's the context, not the word. The frustration and adding that word in there. It might not be a swear word but it's meant in the same way and with the same frustration and attitude. I just don't think that's really very pleasant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now