Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sad for the little girl

(53 Posts)
HoppityFrogs Wed 14-Sep-16 13:36:05

So, I'm in the swimming pool cafe and a family behind me are having lunch with a child who is either pre school or part time reception She's not eating the rest of her lunch, she's being shouted at and told that her daddy will smack her and that they will tell miss xxxx who will tell her that she is being naughty.
Her fruit has all gone, so they have said and they are now trying to encourage her to eat cake.

Poor child sad

sonlypuppyfat Wed 14-Sep-16 13:41:11

You only saw a tiny snippet of their life, the mum might be either a complete cow or someone who is really struggling with something. It's hard not to but you shouldn't judge

5Foot5 Wed 14-Sep-16 13:51:38

Yes but it's hard not too isn't it? What sort of a fuckwit thinks the best way to get a small child to eat up is to shout at them and threaten them with violence!

PumpkinPie9 Wed 14-Sep-16 13:56:13

I agree with you that was horrible, whether or not it was a snippet or not. Poor child.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 14-Sep-16 13:57:45

Snippet or not it's horrid. So what if she doesn't eat lunch. There's always dinner. It's too hot to eat anyway..

cherryplumbanana Wed 14-Sep-16 13:58:59

It's awful, I have seen similar a couple of times, and it is made worst because the parents are trying to force the child to eat junk food. No one is perfect, and they are probably trying their best, believing that bad food is better than no food.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 14-Sep-16 14:00:04

Bit they provide snacks at pre school and reception. She's been all of 2 hours without food.

Hardly worrying

Tottyandmarchpane1 Wed 14-Sep-16 14:00:43

Good grief - I use the ploy of I will tell the teacher sometimes - sometimes you just want them to eat something. Was he really shouting (that seems extreme) or raising a voice? Daddy will smack you is probably just a variation on the 'wait until your father gets home' unless you actually saw a smack then you have no idea whether an empty threat or actually true. I bet it all went over the child's head - it certainly would over my 4 and 6 year olds.

Plus - calling her a fuckwit when she is probably just an end of tether mother is really unkind. Easy to judge of course.

HoppityFrogs Wed 14-Sep-16 14:07:10

It's the mum that's telling her that daddy will smack her.
She's not at all sounding at the end of tether tbh, she's being perfectly pleasant to the others with her.

BastardGoDarkly Wed 14-Sep-16 14:08:44

Yep, there's loads of wankers about, some of them will be mother's unfortunately.

It's horrible to witness though.

Sparklesilverglitter Wed 14-Sep-16 14:10:08

The whole daddy will smack you bitwasn't needed, why did the mum need to say that.

I think saying I'll tell Mrs X is ok, nothing wrong with that

It was just a snippet, and hopefully it isn't like that for the child everyday

NavyandWhite Wed 14-Sep-16 14:14:51

Hate the phrase " it's only a snippet " what bollocks.

A tiny girl was shouted and threatened with being smacked by her father. I don't need to see much more to know that that is shit and no way to talk to a child.

PumpkinPie9 Wed 14-Sep-16 14:18:23

Calling a random person being horrible to a little kid. = Fine by me.
Threatening to smack a kid and worrying them that you will tell their new teacher, because they are full up and can't eat some cake. = not fine

windmillsofyourmind Wed 14-Sep-16 14:19:36

Telling a child her father will hit her might be a snippet but it's also very telling. Why even say that, to use it as a threat implies that that is what happens. How horrible. I hate some parents.

Sandsnake Wed 14-Sep-16 14:22:47

It's only a snippet? Oh, that's totally OK then... What a load of bollocks. Threatening a child with being hit by their father is never ok - especially when that child's 'crime' is failing to eat all their food. YANBU.

rightsforwomen Wed 14-Sep-16 14:25:16

Those who are saying it's a snippet. Where do you draw the line?
If you saw a child being hit would your line where you don't judge be crossed then?
What level of verbal threatening do you think is OK then?

SunsetOnTheHorizon Wed 14-Sep-16 14:26:00

'Daddy will smack you?' That is evil. Snippet or not.

Explain what might happen if she doesnt eat... take away a treat... but threatening with voilence?? Get a grip!

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 14-Sep-16 14:27:06

I always think threatening to tell the teacher is rather weak and weasley.

HarryPottersMagicWand Wed 14-Sep-16 14:27:36

First post, what a load of shite. So a snippit means that's it's perfectly fine to tell a child their father will smack them for not eating because they may have been having a bad day or something. Some people really talk utter bullshit.

I would judge too OP, and hard.

Eatthecake Wed 14-Sep-16 14:29:04

Even a parent at the end of there tether doesn't have to speak to a child that way. The little girl in question had eaten her fruit so why pressure to eat food she doesn't want?

The daddy will smack you I hate anything like that, to me it either means that daddy has smacked her before or they constantly say he will which could lead to the poor little thing being scared of him.

Telling Mrs X teacher is ok.

Hopefully it's not like that for the little girl all the time. The reality is there are parents that are horrible to there children and many will blame it on being at the end of there tether

SistersOfPercy Wed 14-Sep-16 14:29:37

You can pick up a lot from a snippet though.

I was in Primark the other week (I know, U in itself) when a woman came past with a little boy of about 3 who was sobbing. I can't remember the exact words but the conversation was basically 'boys are tough, boys fight, boys don't cry or do you want to be a princess like (girls name) and wear pink?'
I felt desperately sad for him.

PumpkinPie9 Wed 14-Sep-16 14:30:12

It seems weak and weasley to us but could be worrying/upsetting for a 3 - 4 year old.

VladmirsPoutine Wed 14-Sep-16 14:31:53

All whilst you sit there gawping at them and providing us with a blow-by-blow account. Well done you!

SatansLittleHelper2 Wed 14-Sep-16 14:34:32

I recently overheard someone calmy and coldly say to their daughter 'I would send you to live with your dad but he wants you even less than I do'.

End of tether or not it's a disgusting way to behave. If I found myself saying stuff like that to either of my two i'd be taking myself to the doctors. Whether that be 'a snippet of my day' or not.

And believe me, both of mine have pushed me to the edge and beyond.

CancellyMcChequeface Wed 14-Sep-16 14:39:46

Yes, I'd feel very sorry for the child.

My mother routinely treated me like this (and in my case, my father would have smacked me if she'd said I'd misbehaved during the day, without bothering to find out the circumstances). Although looking back it isn't the smacking that I found most upsetting but the constant shouting over little things and being told that I was a bad or naughty child. Until I started working with children in my 20s I still had the impression that I had been a particularly horrible, 'bad' child. I was actually fairly well-behaved most of the time, and no worse than most children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now