Talk

Advanced search

To think the world would be a better place without ITV

(53 Posts)
Outtaker Tue 13-Sep-16 11:05:45

With it producing the TV equivalent of cheap fat-soaked pizza and chips followed by a deep fried mars bar (with a few exceptions - 'Victoria' being one)

LaurieFairyCake Tue 13-Sep-16 11:08:27

But that's what people like

We can't force them to only watch period dramas and worthy educational stuff

TaterTots Tue 13-Sep-16 11:09:46

Why not buy one of those new-fangled TVs with an 'off' switch? I hear they're all the rage.

LunaLoveg00d Tue 13-Sep-16 11:09:48

Agree. The only things I've watched on ITV in the past 5-ish years are Victoria, Downton Abbey, Vera, Lewis and Broadchurch. And all on catch-up without annoying adverts.

I just can't leave my brain at the door enough to watch the usual diet of tripe they pump out - celebrity diving, celebrity skating, crappy Simon Cowell "talent" shows which are totally rigged, documentaries which are anything but incisive, cheap crappy quiz shows and second-rate news.

Omgkitties Tue 13-Sep-16 11:11:28

You know you don't have to watch it, don't you??hmm

Smrendell Tue 13-Sep-16 11:11:58

Better than BBC!

LunaLoveg00d Tue 13-Sep-16 11:12:55

I also think there is a lot of middle ground between period drama and "worthy, educational stuff" and the dross which ITV produce.

HairsprayBabe Tue 13-Sep-16 11:13:36

I mean I liked Downton Abbey, but that is over now, so they pretty much might as well turn the whole channel off as far as I am concerned.

I would be quite happy if i never saw Ant & Dec ever again TBH.

HateSummer Tue 13-Sep-16 11:16:06

I don't watch anything on itv. I haven't watched it in years. Same with channel 5 and 4.

Willywolly Tue 13-Sep-16 11:16:17

I really don't get this mindset that if you don't enjoy something no one else should.

I don't personally enjoy most of the stuff on ITV but there are people who do.

Surely if you don't like it you'd just change the channel or turn the telly off? Noones forcing you to watch it.

KungFuPandaWorksOut Tue 13-Sep-16 11:18:05

shock but what about Emmerdale? blush

Sofres Tue 13-Sep-16 11:19:51

I really don't get this mindset that if you don't enjoy something no one else should.

^^ This.

Ifailed Tue 13-Sep-16 11:21:38

ITV4 covers cycling, so for that reason alone YABU.
We also need the shitty programmes they put out, to remind people what telly would be like if we scrapped the license fee. The race to the bottom would make the current crock of crap look excellent.

QuestionableMouse Tue 13-Sep-16 11:22:30

Well the didn't protect paedophiles either so....

MrsJoeyMaynard Tue 13-Sep-16 11:22:53

I don't watch itv much myself, but it would go out of business if no one watched it, so the things shown on it must be popular with some people. We don't all like watching the same programmes, after all.

If you don't like it, then just watch a different channel. It's not like you're being forced to watch itv.

scortja Tue 13-Sep-16 11:24:51

But....

Midsomer Murders!!!

Apart from that and maybe Vera YANBU

Sparklingbrook Tue 13-Sep-16 11:26:37

We weren't allowed to watch it as children.

If it went off the air and never returned I am sure everyone would cope but until then just watch another channel.

murphys Tue 13-Sep-16 11:26:44

Hang on a minute.... but Poldark season 2 is starting in a few weeks on ITV here. So, you may not dispose of it quite yet please. Thank you grin

LunaLoveg00d Tue 13-Sep-16 11:28:11

I think many of us are nostalgic for the "old" ITV of our youth and early adulthood - the ITV which produced shows like the Krypton Factor, Miss Marple, Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Blockbusters, London's Burning, the Bill, Press Gang, Knightmare and Rainbow.

They have always had the popular, high audience shows like Gladiators or Blind Date, but the channel has completely changed and all the "good" stuff has gone, to be replaced by cheaply produced programming or endless programmes featuring Simon Cowell or Ant and Dec. Tonight for example they have a "documentary" about nasty neighbours at 8pm and a conspiracy theory programme about 9/11 at 9pm. After the 10pm news, you can watch "The Nation's Favourite Carpenters' Song".

It's not what you'd call quality programming, is it? Given the dross that ITV show, especially at the weekends, I am SO grateful for the BBC, Strictly and Poldark.

HairsprayBabe Tue 13-Sep-16 11:29:16

My great grandmother always used called ITV the "common" channel. grin

yeOldeTrout Tue 13-Sep-16 11:30:20

ITV4 is my main station (cycling).
My parents love all the Lewis series, too.

LunaLoveg00d Tue 13-Sep-16 14:32:19

There is some good stuff on ITV but they keep it hidden. I recently watched a quirky drama series from Sweden called Angelby, which was on Sky box sets but branded ITV Encore. It was excellent and in direct contrast to the nonsense like Take Me Out and X-Factor which they usually churn out.

JaneJeffer Tue 13-Sep-16 14:40:09

KungFu just the thought of no Emmerdale makes me panicky shock

JaneJeffer Tue 13-Sep-16 14:44:17

And I don't get that people think that just because someone likes Ant & Dec they wouldn't also watch an educational programme. I watch all sorts of stuff!

Housewife2010 Tue 13-Sep-16 15:14:32

I love Coronation St. Give me that over EastEnders or Neighbours anyday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now