AIBU to be scratching?

(5 Posts)
justilou Tue 13-Sep-16 08:30:22

It's the second week back at school after the summer vacation and apparently lice are running rampant already. My daughter said that she'd been told that she has nits yesterday. I checked and as she has blonde hair and a dry scalp, we've never had nits or lice before, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I couldn't see any lice, but did see tiny white flecks but I think they are more like dandruff. I thought I'd better treat her for nits just in case, and have been scratching ever since. (Am now sitting with stinking lice treatment on scalp just in case....) Would you see nits without lice?

humblesims Tue 13-Sep-16 10:24:01

who told her she had nits? you should be able to see nits if you put a nit comb through her hair. the eggs are kind of whitish but the nits are black and not hard to find if you have them

justilou Tue 13-Sep-16 11:59:47

Someone from school... (A parent, I think... They do checks once a month.) Her hair is very blonde and while she had tiny white flecks, I think it was just dandruff. Surely there would be both eggs and lice, not just eggs.

humblesims Tue 13-Sep-16 12:45:47

the nit (or the egg) is a whitish thing but it sticks to the hair shaft so its not really like dandruff. If you've treated her and yourself and havent found any lice then I think you shouldnt worry too much. However, head lice are rampant in primary schools and its best to be vigilant. Conditioner on hair and check with a nit comb every week. Maybe plait her hair.

ShtoppenDerFloppen Tue 13-Sep-16 13:24:43

Oh great... now I am itchy. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now