To be really upset by the apparent rise in xenophobic attacks in the Uk?

(8 Posts)
Feminazi Mon 12-Sep-16 22:44:59

Just read that a Polish chap was beaten up by 20 teenagers in Leeeds. sad

I am still upset about the Polish guy who was brutally murdered a few weeks ago too.

Has this always been going on? Or has Brexit pushed it forward?

Either way, I think Theresa May needs to make a peaceful statement and promise harsh punishments for xenophobic attacks!

I know I'm not being unreasonable, but the xenophobia are! angry

Yorkieheaven Mon 12-Sep-16 23:37:55

Think there should be harsh sentences for any unprovoked and vile attacks.

I think labelling attacks 'racist' actually excuse then to some sections of the public.

Violence is violence.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Mon 12-Sep-16 23:39:47

I agree, violence is violence

travellinglighter Tue 13-Sep-16 07:05:46

I'm with you OP. It's awful.

As for the term racist, it's a way of increasing the tariff when applying punishment as a form of deterrent. It has to be done. Those 20 kids in Leeds should face a prison sentence in the hope that a million kids will take note and keep their hands to themselves.

An argument followed by an assault is a terrible thing but an unprovoked attack on the basis of an accent, a different language, skin colour or religion is much worse and this should be reflected in punishment received.

Brokenbiscuit Tue 13-Sep-16 07:31:57

The local police told me that, round here, racist abuse/attacks appear to be the new "initiation" ceremony for local gangs of kids. In other words, the perpetrators are doing it to impress others rather than actually being motivated by hate. There has definitely been an increase.

It's deeply depressing. sad

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Tue 13-Sep-16 08:15:58

angrysad

I'm sorry that the tolerant Britain I was proud of seems to being erroded so much.

Feminazi Tue 13-Sep-16 22:10:01

It has made me so angry and upset. I live in a little Northern town which is very well integrated. If something like that happened here, there would be shock waves from everyone! (And rightly too)

Brokenbiscuit Tue 13-Sep-16 22:28:00

Fem, I always thought our area was very well integrated too. DC all play together nicely, parents all seem to get on too.

But my DH was racially abided right outside our house, two days after the referendum, and this summer, through work, I have been aware of at least four separate incidents of racial harassment and/or assault. Something in the climate has definitely changed. It might be that more people are reporting, but I genuinely think that it has just become more "acceptable" to express hate. Perhaps even "cool" in certain circles, hence the stupid initiation ceremonies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now