To feel my solicitor doesn't give a shit?

(5 Posts)
Vulty Mon 12-Sep-16 16:31:23

Okay long story short, violent and abusive ex took me to court for contact. My previous lawyer didn't think he'd get contact I had to switch solicitor as he had broken his hip or something and wasn't going to be back at work for a long time. I got someone else. He usually always emails me when court is and what time at. He phoned me one day saying I was to be in court in 10 minutes asking where I was. I had no email, letter or phonecall. They went on without me being there. Latest incident, I was in court for the Child Welfare Hearing early as I still had to read th report from the contact centre. Ex had been with his lawyer for a good 40 minutes beforehand, I waited about like an idiot for him to be late. So late I had 2 minutes to read the report and no time to discuss anything! I do not feel like I can approach him, when I told him I was scared of my ex he looked at me as if stupid and said why he wont do anything. I feel like he is on his side. He asks why I have a problem with unsupervised contact I give a list of reasons why he's a danger to my dd. He doesn't get it! Are they all like this?! Or have I just een very unlucky!

bluecashmere Mon 12-Sep-16 20:35:12

Are you paying for this solicitor? If you aren't happy you should complain. Sometimes I think they only look at things from a legal perspective and don't see the human side of things but a good one will understand you and your views. They are there to support you, not to work against you.

Evilstepmum01 Mon 12-Sep-16 20:38:32

Find a decent solicitor. Whether you're paying or you have legal aid, you can always find a solicitor who might actually give a shit!! Ask around or go to C.A.B for more advice and help.

Vulty Mon 12-Sep-16 21:02:03

Thank you guys, I have an appointment with a new solicitor for Wednesday I am a nervous wreck. I just wanted to see what other peoples opinions on this were. I am getting legal aid but still wonder wtf he's getting paid for!

Somerville Mon 12-Sep-16 21:09:08

You need a great solicitor. And that doesn't necessarily mean one who will be super nice to you and sympathetic, but it does mean one who you can communicate well with and who is organised enough to make sure you've heard about hearings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now