Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a make up artist for my wedding?

(79 Posts)
DogsAndCatsAndThings Mon 12-Sep-16 12:20:40

I'm getting married in 3 months. Hairdresser booked. Usually do my own makeup OK but not amazing but had two trails and both were hideous, caked on and looked awful far too heavy.

Does everyone get their make up done professionally for their wedding? I wanted to look special and the best version of me but haven't been impressed with the professionals attempts so far at all.

WIBU to attempt my own make up on the day or should I keep trying to find someone else?

If you had a professional make up artist did you think they were worth it?

Oysterbabe Mon 12-Sep-16 12:22:58

I did my own. Went into house of Fraser and spoke to a knowledgeable lady on the make up counter, tried some stuff, bought some nice make up, practiced a few times before. I'm really pleased that I did. On the day I looked like me not a doll.

daisygirlmac Mon 12-Sep-16 12:27:34

I had my sister who is a make up artist but if she hadn't been I would have paid for one. I think a good one can really make you look your best, I was horrible at the amount she used when we did a trial but she kept telling me it needed to be more than usual to a) last the day and b) look good on the photos. She was right! It didn't look caked on at all despite being 5 times more than I usually wear and the photos were great. I would keep looking, it's also something you don't need to stress about on the day

ImogenTubbs Mon 12-Sep-16 12:27:40

Just like oysterbabe! I went to the Bobbi Brown counter and had a make up trial (I booked an appointment and you sit there for 15 min a chatting about what you want and trying different things). Splashed out about £150 on my favourite products and did my own on the day. V happy with it. The Bobbi Brown woman was horrified as I think I went on the Monday and was getting married on the Sat - she was far more stressed than I was! Had quite a big wedding with hair professionally done, but I agree - I've never had a good result with a make-up arrist.

daisygirlmac Mon 12-Sep-16 12:28:09

*horrified not horrible

auldfuckingspinster Mon 12-Sep-16 12:30:25

If you're confident with make up i'd check out some youtube tutorials and try a few looks out. I've had a couple of make ups done at Guerlain and Tom Ford and although they were objectively well done i didn't like them.

CaveMum Mon 12-Sep-16 12:30:28

The problem is that you do need to wear more make up for wedding photos than you would in day to day life. The photos can look washed out otherwise.

If you think you can replicate a strong enough look yourself then go for it, but personally I wouldn't trust myself to get it right!

Lebranic Mon 12-Sep-16 12:30:53

I did my own too as my trial made me look scary. I just made sure I gave myself enough time and bought nice make up that I still use now. Good luck.

WutheringFrights Mon 12-Sep-16 12:30:58

I did my own hair and make up.

I'd been a bridesmaid a few years earlier and had my hair and make up done professionally and I looked bloody hideous , more so than normal grin and felt really uncomfortable all day.

LottieL Mon 12-Sep-16 12:33:39

I had mine done at the Bare Minerals counter in Debenhams for free on the day, booked in advance 🙂 It was lovely too!

Magicpaintbrush Mon 12-Sep-16 12:33:51

I did my own make up, after having a make up trial which hated. The lady didn't put any foundation or powder on me and my skin just looked so sallow and tired, so I decided to do my own. I figured at the end of the day nobody knew my face better than I did, and I'm glad I did.

auldfuckingspinster Mon 12-Sep-16 12:35:09

Make sure you don't wear a foundation with SPF as there would be flashback in photos. Take loads of photos with and without flash and have a play about. Sleek have a gorgeous limited edition eyeshadow palette called Goodnight Sweetheart which is exclusive to boots with lovely bridal shades.

SwearyGodmother Mon 12-Sep-16 12:36:33

I had a trial and like pp hated the caked on look I ended up with so I decided to do my own. I only wear make up on special occasions so am not particularly good at it. I spent an hour or so, and about £100, with a lady in Mac and she showed me how to do something that looked nice but was easy.

elQuintoConyo Mon 12-Sep-16 12:37:56

I did it myself at home with Rimmel. I looked like myself. I didn't look invisible or washed out in photos, apart from lipppy it lasted all day.

Keep practising with youtube tutorials and your usual make up, trying adding/changing bits - eyeliner shape, cream not powder blusher etc.

Congratulations flowers

Planty18 Mon 12-Sep-16 12:39:58

I did my own, but went to a benefit counter trial to see how to make it a Bit more special, free trial, bought a few bits. Pretty much everyone I know who had their make up professionally done for their wedding then took it off and ended up doing it themselves. They hadn't liked their trials but for some reason still went ahead confused so it put me off. To be completely honest, I look like I am wearing no makeup on my photos, but because I don't wear much anyway I look like me and don't mind so it worked for me but depends what you're comfortable with.

cosmicglittergirl Mon 12-Sep-16 12:42:51

I wore my usual make up of top lid eye liner, mascara and Ruby Woo lipstick. I'd had my make up 'done' when I was previously a bridesmaid and I didn't like the result. I wanted to look my like me at my wedding.
However, I'm sure you could find someone who'd do a better job than you've previously experienced.

eggyface Mon 12-Sep-16 12:43:22

I don't get this 'washed out' thing people say about photos. Men never look washed out in photos apparently? I think it's just what someone without a lot of make up on looks like in a photo, isn't it?

DameFanny Mon 12-Sep-16 12:44:34

I did my own, a bit of extra eyeshadow, rose lipstick and a matching blusher. Showed up fine on photos and didn't give me 30 minutes extra stress in the morning.

Make sure your eyebrows are tidy and you're good smile

itfcbabe Mon 12-Sep-16 12:46:28

I did my own as make up trail I left looking like a wotsit!!

RestlessTraveller Mon 12-Sep-16 12:49:07

I'm having one, just be use it's one less thing to worry about on the day. I'm quite good at my liquid eyeliner but some days it just doesn't go right.

Fink Mon 12-Sep-16 12:49:14

I wouldn't worry about how you'll look on the day if you're already confident doing your own make up, but I would worry about the stress of doing it on top of everything else. My sister did mine and it was lovely.

FunkyChunk Mon 12-Sep-16 12:50:17

I'm going to do my own. It's only fairly recently brides have felt the need/pressure to have a MUA!

I feel like I'm pretty good at doing my own face after all these years, I had my makeup done for another wedding (guest) and just felt hideous. I looked like a drag queen and was so uncomfortable all day. I also don't want to pay out lots of money which I don't have.

Go to a counter and buy yourself some nice stuff and have a practice smile

LittleWingSoul Mon 12-Sep-16 12:50:30

I did my own for my wedding last year. I did my own every day make-up, just changed the colour of my flicky corner of the eye eyeliner (technical term) from black to blue. No lippy, no foundation even... I felt totally comfortable, my DH recognised me and I definitely didn't look washed out in the photos!

Went to a wedding a few years ago where the bride and bridesmaids all looked the same after being done up by a make up 'artist'!

WeeBoobs Mon 12-Sep-16 12:51:34

I used a makeup artist (arranged by my mum) and she was fab with mine - I asked for a simple Brigitte Bardot style flick and natural blusher/lipstick plus nicely defined brows. I looked like me! (Although I switched from contacts to full-time glasses not long afterwards so I do feel my wedding photos are a bit "not me" now but that's not to do with makeup!)

IceBeing Mon 12-Sep-16 12:51:55

I have clearly been to too many 5 yo birthday parties recently, because my first thought was that you were going to get painted as a tiger...or a butterfly or something...

just think of it...all your guests could stand in line to get their faces painted....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now