to expect sympathy from gymnastics club??

(10 Posts)
CocktailQueen Mon 12-Sep-16 09:40:49

DD has been suffering wrist pain. Took her to GP, who said it's probably due to too much gymnastics. She has limited flexion and poss ligament/tendon damage. GP has said to treat with diclofenac gel, ice, rest, and ibuprofen, then to make another GP appt if no improvement.
DD did a lot of tumbling.

Emailed gym to let them know last week and they didn't reply. Rang them today, explained, and the woman I spoke to didn't even ask how dd was. Was completely unsympathetic. Just said to cancel my direct debit then if DD gets better, and if there are spaces in her class, she can re-join.

AIBU to expect a bit more concern from her gymnastics club?? FFS. Gym is her only hobby and she is so upset at having to give up, even temporarily.

AliceInUnderpants Mon 12-Sep-16 09:43:19

What do you expect? A bunch of flowers and a card? The person you spoke to (receptionist?) didn't need to ask how she was - you'd already told her, she has a sore wrist and needs to take a break from her gymnastics.

confused

sentia Mon 12-Sep-16 09:43:34

Injuries are fairly common in gymnastics, she might have become a bit desensitised to it? Or she might just be having a bad day, or be in a hurry? Lots of reasons that aren't related to her, and by extension the club, not sounding more concerned.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Mon 12-Sep-16 09:45:23

Not really sure what you are expecting

RiverTam Mon 12-Sep-16 09:46:43

Sounds fine to me, I thought you were going to say you couldn't cancel your direct debit!

CocktailQueen Mon 12-Sep-16 10:27:37

Not really sure what you are expecting

confused

I did say in my original thread - for the club to show some concern.

No, Alice, just a 'sorry to hear that, how is she?' - you know, empathy? Sympathy?

Are you sympathetic to your dc when they hurt themselves??

dancinfeet Mon 12-Sep-16 10:40:17

It is a pretty crap attitude. I am a dance teacher - this term so far I have one student with a severely broken arm, I sent a get well card and emailed her mum, with the reassurance that no class fees are payable until she returns (which will likely be end Oct) and that her class place will be held until she is well enough to participate. A second student who has has a minor op and expected to be absent a week, and sat watching the next week. Again no charge until the child is able to participate, and a get well card was sent the day of her op. I do usually charge if students miss class for other reasons, minor ailments and illnesses, but not for more serious/hospital treatments. Yes, this may not be the best decision financially, but I value the parents as customers, and the children as students and pastoral care is equally important. They are so much more to me than a source of income, teaching dance is not just a job, it is a vocation and it is a shame to hear about other activities, clubs and classes where the staff come across as not caring for the children they teach. I once had a child move to my school because her old dance teacher couldn't even remember her name, after teaching the child for two years!

FinallyHere Mon 12-Sep-16 10:55:58

I would expect the teacher to care, rather than the people providing the space. Is the teacher employed by the gym, or someone who rents space. Do you gave any direct contact details for the teacher? Or ask the gym to pass on a note? Hope you get to the teacher and it all works out well.

CocktailQueen Mon 12-Sep-16 10:58:36

Thanks, Dancinfeet; I'm glad you can understand why I'm upset! You sound like a lovely teacher.

Finallyhere - the gym is self-contained and the coaches sometimes answer the phone. It was a receptionist from the gym I spoke to. Don't see why she couldn't just have said something like 'sorry to hear it; I'll let her coach know' or similar. Not rocket science, and much better customer service.

ShelaghTurner Mon 12-Sep-16 11:18:34

I get what you mean. DD2 broke her leg before the summer and her ballet class were lovely. When I emailed to let them know, got an email back saying thanks for letting them know, oh no how awful, poor DD2, hope she's better soon and they'll look forward to seeing her when she's better. No big deal but gave the impression that they gave a shit. It's not hard to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now