Talk

Advanced search

or rather WIBU to think 'stuff the environment' and go on a shopping spree?

(5 Posts)
unlucky83 Sun 11-Sep-16 20:44:43

So I have several things that need 'repairing'
I have an old laptop for DCs to do homework that needs a new hard drive installing -I have bought the hard drive (reconditioned) it will take me a couple of hours to do it - but cost £50+ at the repair place and honestly I don't think it is worth it as something else is likely to go soon (it is ancient)
I have a cordless vacuum - the turbo brush motor has gone - without the turbo brush it is pretty frustratingly useless...I have an identical one with the same problem (was replaced under guarantee) I think if I can source a suitable motor I could fix maybe both of them...
Our ancient TV is working but the scart socket is loose -so every so often I have to faff around behind it to get a picture from the freeview box -I figure if I take the back off (I know I have to be careful) it would just be a matter of tightening a few screws...
I have a rotary airer - it is a bit rusty (have to be careful not to mark clothes) and the line broke and I fixed it but it means it is a couple of lines short. I could remove the rust and paint it then rethread a new line. I also have a cover to protect washing from rain, it is a bit ripped and lost its waterproofing - I could take it off and restitch it and wash it in nikwax...
I have a bit of a damp issue - I have a tiny portable dehumidifier that I cart around the house - I could do with a new bigger fit for purpose one...
My dishwasher is broken - I think I know what the problem is - I could try and repair it myself (new part £30 ish) or get the repair man out -which would cost £100 ish to fix...and it is 8yrs old....
I never get round to doing any of these repairs - and therefore spend my life thinking I must ...
I have the money - would be dipping into savings so should be a bit careful for a few months (think it would all cost max £1500).
I could just 'bin' the lot - and remove a lot of hassle for myself....but then I'd feel guilty...they all could be 'saved'.
So how unreasonable would I be to think fuck it ...and just start spending...

northbynorthwesty Sun 11-Sep-16 20:47:48

Just do it

Soubriquet Sun 11-Sep-16 20:48:43

Just do it. Seriously

HungryHorace Sun 11-Sep-16 20:53:06

Replace them but take the old ones to your local tip. I'm sure somebody else will then 'save' them. And be grateful that they got something for not much money.

unlucky83 Sun 11-Sep-16 21:19:22

Right -I think I am going to make a start at least...
I will go to the repair place and look at getting a second hand laptop - and see if they can use the old one for parts etc...
And get a dehumidifier and maybe a rotary airer/new cover...
I really struggle with this sad - I think I might have to get drunk and buy everything online in one night ...(Then I'll probably put eg the vacs in the attic until I 'get round' to fixing them ...blush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now