Talk

Advanced search

To ask if anyone recognises this book....

(15 Posts)
Nishky Sun 11-Sep-16 19:16:55

Its from my childhood- girl goes to live with relatives- she hates them because
- they call parents by first names
- they eat in the street
- their Christmas decs are silver and purple

But of course comes to love them

WingsofNylon Sun 11-Sep-16 19:51:48

Nope, sorry.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sun 11-Sep-16 23:13:36

This vaguely rings a bell with me, did the eating in the street involve a bit where at the end she eats fish and chips in the street and loves it?

How old are you? The book I'm thinking of (haven't got a clue what it was called) would have been written in late 60s/early 70s because I read it when I was about 9 or 10, which would have been mid 70s. The book I'm thinking of had main characters called Alice and Lucy and involved a slight element of time travel I think.

FairNotFair Sun 11-Sep-16 23:19:03

Come Back Lucy. Loved that book.

There is a second hand book site, called Abe Books, which has message boards where you can ask people for the name of a book you've forgotten - the posters there named in days the book I had been racking my brains to remember for years!

I highly recommend them, if you get no joy here. Hope that helps.

MissOnomer Sun 11-Sep-16 23:19:46

Not "Come Back, Lucy", is it?

The main character went to live with relatives and made friends with a Victorian girl who appeared in reflections (mirrors, water).

PNGirl Sun 11-Sep-16 23:22:10

Come Back Lucy by Pamela Sykes is the one from the post above - she doesn't like the family because she's from the past I think?

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sun 11-Sep-16 23:50:52

Come Back Lucy is the one I was thinking of. Don't know if it's the one the OP meant though!

GreatFuckability Sun 11-Sep-16 23:56:54

oooh i like these threads!

Does anyone remember a series of books/audio cassette stories from around the mid 80s, they were based on a collection of dogs. one was called Bobo. they all lived in the same street i think and each book was told from the perspective if a different dog.

OptimisticSix Mon 12-Sep-16 00:28:17

Come back Lucy smile I spent ages looking for it a few years ago!

ImissGrannyW Mon 12-Sep-16 00:30:11

I've got come back lucy, if any PPs want to pop over and have a borrow?

kateyjane Mon 12-Sep-16 06:59:01

It was adapted for TV in the late 70's. I still remember being scared of looking in mirrors blush I think you can watch it on YouTube.

angieloumc Mon 12-Sep-16 07:04:03

Ooh I loved Come Back Lucy, the part at the end where she fell in the water used to terrify me.

Nishky Mon 12-Sep-16 08:21:52

Usedtobe yes- that is it- the fish and chips is spot on I am 51 so that fits.

Going to google come back Lucy and see if that is the one....

Nishky Mon 12-Sep-16 08:28:02

That's it!! Thank you everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now