Talk

Advanced search

That a 4 yo cannot "role there eyes"

(55 Posts)
Moomoomango Sun 11-Sep-16 11:43:18

Dp is in a grump because apparently our 4yo walked into the kitchen and rolled his eyes at him. I defended him saying he's 4.. Relax a bit. Dp says I think the sunshines out of his arse and it's embarrassing. I just think 4 year olds walk around in a bubble and sometimes they may not great you with a "hello daddy how are you" sometimes there mind is fixed on something and they forget pleasentreas. He's not been naughty or anything. I'm sick of my dp grumpy attitude !

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Sun 11-Sep-16 11:47:27

Sounds like you have 2 kids.

MidnightVelvettheSixth Sun 11-Sep-16 11:48:18

Is your DP usually a good father & partner?

Buzzardbird Sun 11-Sep-16 11:48:34

Which one is the child again?

Buzzardbird Sun 11-Sep-16 11:49:20

Pretty sure a 4yr can roll their eyes but I cannot say I am surprised.

StStrattersOfMN Sun 11-Sep-16 11:49:21

Well no, it's disrespectful to walk into a room and roll your eyes at someone, and he needs to learn that at some stage. Better to install pleasantries and manners from the start really.

JellyBelli Sun 11-Sep-16 11:50:03

Adult; good morning! did you sleep well?
4 year old; smiles at parent.

Not; Parent sees child and expects respectful greeting as is due, makes snarky comment.
4 yo rolls eyes. worries what they have done wrong and how to placate disapproving parent.

Lewwat Sun 11-Sep-16 11:51:23

So 4yo was rude to his dad, you back him up and say that's fine... hmm
I think yabu

BikeRunSki Sun 11-Sep-16 11:51:52

My 4 year old is a master of rolling her eyes.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 11-Sep-16 11:53:59

Your son was rude. End of.

Not surprised your dh is pissed off.

Nothing stopping him. From disciplining your ds though rather than stropping like a baby himself.

Both as bad as each other

Becky546 Sun 11-Sep-16 11:56:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MinonsMovie Sun 11-Sep-16 11:58:05

Is DP a grump because of the rude behaviour or because you defended it instead of addressing it with him and backing him up?

Has DS rolled his eye cause he's seen someone else do it...?

SatsukiKusakabe Sun 11-Sep-16 11:59:52

Yes they can, and they know it's rude; I pick mine up on it.

youarenotkiddingme Sun 11-Sep-16 12:00:29

Of course a 4yo can roll their eyes. confused

I've seen 2yo do it and everything thinking its cute.

Your DP is right, it needs knocking on the head - it's not cute at 2, less so at 4 and if allowed to carry on he'll be considered damn rude at 6 and at an age it's harder to change the behaviour.

Amelie10 Sun 11-Sep-16 12:00:37

Yabu, a 4yo can most definitely roll their eyes. Your DH is probably in a grump because you seem to excuse your DS when he is rude.

Moomoomango Sun 11-Sep-16 12:01:42

Ds wasn't there when I defended him, but he was running through the room on route to show his grandma his new fish, I just don't think he was thinking anything just excited to show off his new fish. Rolling eyes isn't something he would have ever seen as we don't do it and he has no older siblings.

sophiestew Sun 11-Sep-16 12:02:13

DN was definitely rolling her eyes from that age. It is learned behaviour though. In her case she was copying her grandmother.

It does sound like you were very swift to disregard what your DH said and undermine him? Is there a lot more to this story? Is there a reason you think DH is a liar?

abbsismyhero Sun 11-Sep-16 12:02:15

why did he roll his eyes? he is too young to be a sarky teenager i roll mine when they are tired

rolling eyes by themselves is not a sign of disrespect imho

im divorcing my husband who used this against my kids anything from rolling eyes to looking at him when he was eating giving him "dirty looks" honestly he was a bastard to be around punishment after punishment argument after argument about "THAT KID"

isitseptemberyet Sun 11-Sep-16 12:02:52

my two year old rolls her eyes.
perhaps ur 4 yr old was doing it at his father cos they realise he's a massive arse ?

Passmethecrisps Sun 11-Sep-16 12:03:01

Mine is a spectacular eye roller. She knows it is rude and if she does it she gets a telling off.

I think you are both bu. Dad is expecting too much and surely could have managed to chat to his own child about this without it turning into a huff. But you need to accept that sometimes kids do mean being rude and if they don't get challenged they will do it more

MinonsMovie Sun 11-Sep-16 12:04:51

Just to add in, I had a 5 yo (not family) roll their eyes the other day as we were explaining something quite funny. They didn't understand and they used this as their response. I'm not proud to say but I did judge them as disrespectful and rude. 😔

QuestionableMouse Sun 11-Sep-16 12:13:04

*roll *their

Kid sounds rude and I'm not surprised your partner was pissed off.

alltouchedout Sun 11-Sep-16 12:16:39

Your dp sounds like a stroppy over sensitive tit. Maybe that's why your ds rolled his eyes at him. I'm rolling my eyes at him right now.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt Sun 11-Sep-16 12:16:56

Dp says I think the sun shines out of his arse and it's embarrassing.

So is the supposed eye rolling just the tip of the iceberg? Do you let DS get away with a lot of things, make excuses for him, and worse fail to back up DP if he says something to DS?

VioletBam Sun 11-Sep-16 12:17:11

En route.

Not on route.

Sorry....but I don't mind when people correct me. Better than going about thinking one thing when it's another.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now