Talk

Advanced search

to find CBBC's 'Just a Girl' programme re a transgender child inappropriate?

(235 Posts)
PatButchersEarring Sat 10-Sep-16 09:15:55

..totally prepared to be told I am being U on this one, but...

My 7 year old daughter is currently watching 'Just a Girl' on CBBC. This seems to be a dramatisation about a pre-teen, transgender girl- so born a born, but living as a girl. Also either currently or looking into taking hormone blockers.

AIBU to think this is an inappropriate topic for a young age group?

user1471098628 Sat 10-Sep-16 09:45:47

Pre-teen on hormones? So if, when like 90% of children who experience the feelings he does he realises he is in fact happy with his body, he's going to be sterile?

I "wanted to be a boy" when I was a pre-teen and teen. Turns out I don't. I just needed stronger role models showing me what women CAN do.

formerbabe Sat 10-Sep-16 09:46:52

I was completely shock when I saw my dc watching this recently. I turned it straight off.

Bluebolt Sat 10-Sep-16 09:48:18

Like most people, I would like my DCs to watch at 7 so they could see that gender (clothes and objects) are not dictated by sex. But I would not want them to believe that medical intervention is the next step.

nicknameinvalid123 Sat 10-Sep-16 09:48:47

If CBBC is aimed at 10-14 year-olds (as said above) what are 7-10 year olds supposed to watch once CBeebies is too young for them?

Daisygarden Sat 10-Sep-16 09:49:02

I wouldn't like it because I don't think transgenderism is so common that many children will relate to it. I also don't think that it's necessary to have the program in order to teach tolerance, you can teach tolerance in many ways and even if you don't have a TV!

HerRoyalFattyness Sat 10-Sep-16 09:49:21

Girl/boy shouldn't come into it when they are kids. They can play with whatever the hell they like and Wear whatever they like. My 7 year old plays with dolls quite happily with his little sister, and she plays football with him. They all watch princesses and dinosaurs and know that playing with certain things doesn't change your sex. So playing with dolls and pink shit won't make DSs penis fall off and playing with cars wont make dd grow a penis.

I'd complain about it being on tv at all. We don't need to normalise young children wanting sex changes. We need to show people that gender is bullshit.

yorkshapudding Sat 10-Sep-16 09:50:13

It's not ramming anything down children's throats though. You have the option to turn off the TV or change the channel.

BombadierFritz Sat 10-Sep-16 09:51:40

what does that even mean. bluebolt? I really hate this 'if you like pink you are a girl' shit except now its 'if you.like pink you are a girl gender' as if its two completely different things. bollocks. i'm not sure if it is the same programme but I used it as a starting point for a mini lecture about stereotypes and how damaging they are.

Lorelei76 Sat 10-Sep-16 09:52:43

Pat, what is it about the show you find inappropriate?

That's not a criticism btw, I'm just wondering where you are in this debate or if you are as unclear about it as I was until recently.

ShutTheFridgeUp Sat 10-Sep-16 09:52:45

I don't believe that there is such thing as 'too young' for stuff like this. The earlier you teach your children that everyone is different and that nobody is 'normal' the better. The more they are exposed to, the more accepting they become. Sheltering them will not stop it from happening outside of your home. This is the world we live in!

Catsize Sat 10-Sep-16 09:54:54

It is healthy to discuss these things at a young age. Kids are very 'okay, whatever, can we play trains now?' about all sorts of things. My 4yr old DS knows about periods etc and it won't be such a big deal in later life. Different family set-ups, religions, abilities and transgender issues are no different - the earlier these are discussed (in an informal and basic way that doesn't make them an issue), the more accepting society will eventually become.

Balletgirlmum Sat 10-Sep-16 09:56:16

CBBC has two levels for want of a better word of programme. IN the old days the programmes that came on first (straight after Tweenies etc) was for 6-9 year olds & the programmes leading up to Blue Peter for 10-14 year olds.

MotherKat Sat 10-Sep-16 09:57:06

These programmes are necessary because we need to make sure poisonous narratives like the ones being espoused by some of these posters die a timely death.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 10-Sep-16 09:57:36

Yes it's inappropriate , the bbc have an agenda though and the younger they can influence our children the better.

LyndaNotLinda Sat 10-Sep-16 10:00:33

It's wrong that children are having their natural development controlled by hormone therapy and I don't think it should be normalised any more than 12 year olds drinking or doing recreational drugs should be normalised.

mrsfuzzy Sat 10-Sep-16 10:01:30

can't really say what i think right now because a) i'll offend at least six people grin b) i'll be excluded from mn school for the forseeable future and c) words fail me on a lot of this shite, coming out as transgender in primarily school ???
i knew a kid who used to wear an alice band in primarily and told everyone he was a girl, hmm, he is now 19, very much a man and is dad to a little dd, he laughs about it now and calls it his 'rebellious phase'.

Ninasimoneinthemorning Sat 10-Sep-16 10:01:51

It Is ramming it down children's throats. Are parents expected to sit and monitor every CBBC program that is aired incase bullshit like this is aired.

Why is it ever OK to go down the road of sex change discussions with a seven year old? Why can't they just be who they want a d wear want they want with a fucking label attached to them?

What if they change their mind by ten years old? Will they then have to start the whole process again to revert back? If it becomes so normalised at the age of seven to be so fucking aware of your sexuality how long will it be till parents start sourcing hormones or GP prescribing them??

It's absurd and politically motivated and I'm not at all surprised this is from the BBC.

CaptainBrickbeard Sat 10-Sep-16 10:02:29

I have put a considerable amount of effort into teaching my children that girls and boys can play with the same toys and that nothing is 'just for girls' or 'just for boys' in the face of an onslaught of gendered advertising, pink and blue divisions everywhere they go and reinforcement of girl = sparkly/dolls whilst boy = trucks/mud/adventure. I'd be worried that this programme would undo all of that by implying that if you like clothes and toys arbitrarily assigned to the other sex then you must have medical intervention and transition.

MouseholeCat Sat 10-Sep-16 10:02:45

As PPs have said, if you don't like it then switch it off.

However, I think it's great the BBC has made this show and YWBU to do that. Like it or not, trans people exist and many go through enormous pain just trying to be themselves in a society which is actively hostile towards them.

Children often take this stuff as matter of fact; they learn their intolerance though adult reactions to those different to us. Kids seeing this will grow up learning that trans people are like them- they have thoughts, feelings and interests.

alizondevice Sat 10-Sep-16 10:04:07

YANBU. I think it's inappropriate for the BBC to be broadcasting this. Let children be free to dress or play with whatever toys, etc. appeal to them without trying to put gendered labels on them.

musicposy Sat 10-Sep-16 10:04:20

I worry about this stuff being normalised. I have a friend who from before birth, wanted a boy. Would not even accept when the scan said it was a girl and only chose boys names. When she arrived would not let her wear dresses. I remember her at 6 begging for bunches and hair ribbons and her dad saying over my dead body will you have long hair. They went on to have a boy who they clearly favoured.

Now age 11 and this girl has since 8 said she wants to be a boy and basically identified as transgender. I tried very hard to use my DD2 as an example - she's happy being a girl but she eschews all pink, wears very gender neutral clothes, likes gaming and construction toys and is studying sciences in sixth form. She's pointed out that all those things are compatible with being a girl. But the core issue is they want a boy.

I don't believe that pre puberty this child has any real idea of what she wants. I do believe that the only way for this poor child to gain her parents' love is to say she's a boy. But because it's all the right-on thing to accept at the moment, no one questions what led her to this point - it's just accepted she's transgender. Only us who are close friends with the mum and dad since before her birth have watched it develop over the years. I think she is going to have a lot of heartache ahead, sadly.

I think we are giving the wrong message in normalising this. The message we need to be giving is that a boy can do anything a girl can - including wearing a pink dress and playing with dolls, and a girl can be active, assertive, into sports and engineering and never wear a skirt - and that makes her an active, assertive girl who's into engineering and sport. It doesn't make her a boy. The message this child's parents needed to hear and be giving is there's no reason to want a boy over a girl because a girl can do anything a boy can and still be a girl.

We've gone wrong somewhere along the line. When I was a child a Lego set was gender neutral. Toys were in white, red, green, yellow packaging. Now we have all this pink and blue shite and children who don't fit the stereotype look for the only way out they can see. We need to start looking at the messages we are giving our children before we screw up a whole generation.

formerbabe Sat 10-Sep-16 10:04:33

My 4yr old DS knows about periods etc and it won't be such a big deal in later life. Different family set-ups, religions, abilities and transgender issues are no different

Explaining periods to your dc is very different to explaining transgender issues!

Prawnofthepatriarchy Sat 10-Sep-16 10:05:30

What's so concerning is that the path seems to start with "harmless" social transition but move swiftly on to prescribed puberty blockers. Once a kid's on those, nearly all of them end up on hormones. None of these drugs are harmless and some, testosterone for girls for example, are dangerous.

It starts with people projecting stupid gender bollocks on children and ends with teens being set up for a life on drugs. Children need protecting from this stuff.

Ninasimoneinthemorning Sat 10-Sep-16 10:07:56

I'd be worried that this programme would undo all of that by implying that if you like clothes and toys arbitrarily assigned to the other sex then you must have medical intervention and transition

This^^

But who cares about that when it's better be seen as so 'right on' your encouraging your 7 year old to change sex! hmm

Ninasimoneinthemorning Sat 10-Sep-16 10:08:43

Yes I agree with your whole post prawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »