AIBU to compromise on location?

(11 Posts)
DorothyHarris Sat 10-Sep-16 04:22:19

Maybe more of a WWYD...
We are currently house-hunting and have found the house that ticks every box for us. It has 4 bedrooms, garage, nice sized garden and a drive with ample parking. The only thing is I really don't like the street it's on. It's on a fairly good estate in my area but the particular Street had a mix of semi detached, detached and flats. It faces a weird island with parking spaces for the flats and behind that is a row of garages.
We viewed the other day and the house great maybe some little bits and bobs need doing but we think we could get a real bargain and wouldn't have to move but it's been on the market for a long time...at least 18 months that I know of.
The other option is a smaller 3 bed semi on a much more desirable estate with extension space to the side, there are 3 for sale in there of a similar price to the really large one but we would have to extend in future as we have 3 DCS.
Any thoughts would be great.

Mouikey Sat 10-Sep-16 05:53:23

Why has it been on the market for 18 months? Has it had offers/buyers and it's fallen through? If so I'd worry there might be a problem with the survey or reports. Have you specifically asked about neighbour issues or car parking problems? I know some houses don't sell but that's because there are issues... A perfectly lovely house in a nice estate should sell within 18 months (depending on where you are located of course)

Why don't you like semi detached or flats? unless you buy into a 1980's early 90's executive housing estate then it's unlikely you would live in an area of solely detached properties.

ConvincingLiar Sat 10-Sep-16 07:09:48

Why hadn't it sold? Either they want too much for it or there's something wrong with it. See if the estate agent can tell you more than you can find out from right move stalking. Eg people might have pulled out when something came up in the survey.

How well kept is the street? We lived in a street of expensive (for the town) detached houses and lots of are neighbours are quite untidy. They put their bins out too early and let the rubbish blow away. Pisses me right off. Doesn't seem to happen in the nearby street with smaller/cheaper houses.

Anyway, whatever house you buy you'll be compromising on something. An extra bedroom would potentially be very valuable given the size of your family.

Buttfucknowhere Sat 10-Sep-16 09:09:13

Buy the smaller house on the better street. Location location location. You can improve the house if there's room to extend and if you get it for a reasonable price you might even make money on it.

gabsdot Sat 10-Sep-16 09:32:50

Location is key, you can change the house, but not the location

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Sat 10-Sep-16 13:11:48

Personally I'd always go for the better area, on the basis you can change, extend and improve your house, or even strip back your possessions to fit the space, but you're very limited when it comes to changing the area or location. When I say better, I mean better for you.

Before you decide, go and sit in each street and watch the comings and goings, listen for noise or annoyances. Go there as if you're actually going home, how do you feel? How would you feel doing that journey every day?

It's a great feeling when you have a real sense of peace and satisfaction going home, much better than we you get there and are happy to shut your surroundings out.

EllaHen Sat 10-Sep-16 13:22:21

Three bedroomed semi with scope to extend sounds like a better option. You already have negative feelings about the bigger house. If you buy it, don't like it you may well struggle to sell it.

backtowork2015 Sat 10-Sep-16 14:11:29

Location always wins

OlennasWimple Sat 10-Sep-16 14:23:19

Sounds like before too long you would be on here with a parking wars thread (diagram definitely needed - that road layout sounds complicated!)

DorothyHarris Sat 10-Sep-16 20:17:13

Thanks everyone. We went for another drive round and I really dislike it I said the same to my DH about the parking wars. We viewed the 3 bed semi and I liked it. It needed work doing but I could see my family in that house. We have another 2 to view but I hope my DH agrees with me.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Sat 10-Sep-16 21:05:04

It may be that another house is out there for you. Don't feel you have to decide, you can keep looking.

If you get that poor gut instict though, don't disregard it. There's alway another property coming on the market.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now