Talk

Advanced search

What is going on with the daily egg??

(18 Posts)
Yukduck Fri 09-Sep-16 14:49:53

I have tried free range (organic and non organic) from supermarkets and from local farms. The egg is fighting back!

AIBU or is the egg??!!

We like hard boiled egg sandwiches. So, I boil the eggs for 10mins (from cold water start), plunge into ice cold water when cooked as I have always done. Then ..... carnage. Eggs used to peel easily, now the membrane does not work and pulls of chunks of the white so the egg ends up looking tatty and butchered.

Is it just me or is someone mucking about with the old fashioned egg?

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 09-Sep-16 14:54:53

I agree they don't make eggs like they used to. Best eggs I've ever had were off some urban allotment chickens that used to get fed mostly on chips.

Caipora Fri 09-Sep-16 14:58:23

Plunge the egg straight into cold water and leave for a minute or two, then roll the egg gently in a tea-towel. The shell should come of beautifully.

WitchTyler Fri 09-Sep-16 16:21:06

I have found this method to be pretty effective, as I often peel 2-3 dozen at a time, although there will always be the odd casualty.
1. Store eggs for 3-5 days from buying, in their box, in a reasonably cool place (but never the fridge)
2. Put in large pan, cover with cold water and a splash of vinegar in case any break, as the vinegar helps to stop too much of the white escaping
3. Bring to a rolling boil, then immediately remove from the heat, put the lid on the pan and leave for ten minutes.
4. Fill the pan with cold water, which should drive out the hot water, and keep the cold tap running.
5. When cool enough to handle, roll the eggs gently on the side of the sink until the shells start to crack, then peel underwater (topping up with cold as necessary)
6. I always peel starting from the bottom (pointed end) of the egg, and gently loosen the shell on the rounded end, as if the eggs are a little older the yolk rises to the top and will stick.
Good luck!

MindSweeper Fri 09-Sep-16 16:23:28

I thought it was just me! I've been having problems peeling eggs lately, so much so I end up rage quitting.

AppleAndBlackberry Fri 09-Sep-16 16:24:45

I think your eggs are too fresh, you need an older one!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 09-Sep-16 16:26:19

Do you tap and roll the egg, the shell should come away easily then?

brasty Fri 09-Sep-16 16:31:20

Yes I too think it is because eggs tend to be fresher now.

mrsvilliers Fri 09-Sep-16 16:35:02

I always thought it was when the egg was older. Agree enraging, YANBU.

bruffin Fri 09-Sep-16 17:12:09

You are not keeping them in cold water long enough.
I boil eggs to take to work for breakfast. If i rush the cold water i have problems peeling eggs

MindSweeper Fri 09-Sep-16 20:20:39

It was always fine for me before. This happens no matter how long I wait. I'm going to try different eggs.

VanillaSugarandChristmasSpice Fri 09-Sep-16 20:41:09

I boil the eggs then peel them under running cold water. The water gets under the membrane and the shell slides off. Simples.

Biggles398 Fri 09-Sep-16 20:44:46

I also reckon your eggs are too fresh.
This never happened to me until we got some hens, so had really fresh eggs. They're a real b*gger to shell now!
Apparently the ones in the shops can be 2 weeks old before they even hit the shelves

WhateverWillBe Fri 09-Sep-16 20:46:04

Complete chance for me.

50% of the time a boiled egg is a fucking delight to peel and all the shells just slide off within 10 seconds.

The other 50% of the time I'm still there 4 minutes later picking away at it and end up with a finished product that looks like the dogs had a chew on it hmm

Pineapplemilkshake Fri 09-Sep-16 20:46:38

I agree they are too fresh. We have hens so our eggs are never more than a couple of days old - bloody nightmare to peel!

ABloodyDifficultWoman Fri 09-Sep-16 20:49:00

I honestly thought this was just me and I was a complete wanker at peeling eggs! Haven't peeled one without it looking like an explosion in a hen's arse for so long!

Yukduck Fri 09-Sep-16 22:24:47

Ahah!! So not just me then!!

I never thought that all those years of perfectly peeled eggs were due to them being STALE! Advice at the moment is to keep the eggs in the fridge but that was never the case years ago.

I will start peeling at the pointy end and see if that makes a difference, and also peel under running water. I usually leave the eggs in the cold water until they are stone cold then peel them. I am just fed up with eggs that look like the surface of the moon! Not pretty in a sandwich or in an egg salad.

bruffin Mon 12-Sep-16 21:15:29

I experimented today and left two fresh organic eggs bought yesterday and left in cold water for about 15 minutes and they peeled really well.
I took the to work in a plastic bag, rolled them in the bag to crush shell. Then perled them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now