Talk

Advanced search

To expect a TV show about New York to be interesting?

(28 Posts)
MorrisZapp Fri 09-Sep-16 13:31:59

'New York: America's Busiest City'

HOLD ME BACK. That is so up my street. Set a series link, get DS down early, make a cup of tea and sit down to enjoy...

A sub-Countryfile mess that even rent a smile presenters cannot save. Yes, indeed BBC. What people really want to know about the urban reality of his fabled town is how many apples they get through - and where they are grown.

Can we also get to see a huge deserted field? That really gives us an insight into the New York food markets.

No, for my money I don't want to see New Yorkers eating, working or opening their lives for us. I want to see ex Blue Peter presenters 'learning' how to pick fruit.

I wonder how much these international shows cost to film. I could create more compelling telly using my phone, a bus ticket and a slice of pizza.

baldisbeautiful Fri 09-Sep-16 13:33:14

Totally agree. Was bored to tears and I love New York!

sonlypuppyfat Fri 09-Sep-16 13:35:32

It was just like kids tv wasn't it, what a wasted opportunity

DrDreReturns Fri 09-Sep-16 13:38:30

I have to say it didn't hold my attention.

2014newme Fri 09-Sep-16 13:40:57

Agree we said it was like blue Peter it doesn't give a flavour of new York and spends too much time on one topic eg fish market went in forever with too many fish statistics. Last week was better. Would prefer new yorker as presenters.

Wellthen Fri 09-Sep-16 13:41:09

Yes! I thought exactly the same about the first episode, didn't didn't watch the second when they said "next year we're going to X state" - no, this show is about nyc, you should be there.

The transport stuff was ok, the history was interesting, but some of it could have applied to any city and boiled down to "lots of people live and work here"

Itscliffmas Fri 09-Sep-16 13:44:18

I have just deleted this from my series link, soooo disappointing!

Cocolepew Fri 09-Sep-16 13:44:31

I thought it would have been better without the presenters . Why do they insist on repeating what somebody has said? Its as if we are too stupid to understand it the first time so they repeat it as a question.

2014newme Fri 09-Sep-16 13:48:10

Yes the presenters are not from new York and are general presenters that could be put on any programme they bring no passion to it.

MorrisZapp Fri 09-Sep-16 13:49:26

DP and I love New York, and are unlikely to be going there any time soon. I wanted to feel, smell, hear the city.

I think there was a really good BBC2 show a couple of years ago though, anybody remember that one? It was more arts focused I think.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Fri 09-Sep-16 13:53:05

Tried it, hated it, changed channel.

JellyBelli Fri 09-Sep-16 13:55:15

Did you know there are people that live under New York in tunnels? I did because I didnt watch that drivel.

www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jan/26/dark-days-marc-singer-new-york

Oblomov16 Fri 09-Sep-16 14:00:43

Agree. Watched it all excited. What's not to live about New York? God it was pitiful and so boring. How much did this shambles cost up make?

NowSissyThatWalk Fri 09-Sep-16 14:06:46

Fishmonger - We have some spariday here
Presenter - That's what we call bream in the UK. Amazing!

hmm

Cocolepew Fri 09-Sep-16 14:09:07

I saw a Dan Snow programme a few years ago about the history of new york, it was interesting.

2014newme Fri 09-Sep-16 14:38:04

The bit where the toll booth operator listed the toll prices and the clerk who showed what they write on the fish buying paperwork. Snooze! So dull!

Charley50 Fri 09-Sep-16 14:44:27

Watch 'the Get Down' instead on Netflix. Brilliant drama about the birth of hiphop in the burnt out Bronx; combines social history with music and love.

MakeItStopNeville Fri 09-Sep-16 14:47:55

Jelly I don't think there are anymore. They got "cleaned up" under Guiliani. Plus there's a lot of subway development happening under NYC at the mo.

MorrisZapp Fri 09-Sep-16 14:57:00

Oh! Oh! Is anywhere showing and Cagney and Lacey repeats?

0pti0na1 Fri 09-Sep-16 15:06:41

Oh, I had recorded this to watch later. Might not bother now!

GoEasyPudding Fri 09-Sep-16 16:10:04

Thanks for the warning OP, I was looking forward to watching these.

I encourage you to give your feedback to the BBC because they do listen and take it on board. Well they do have to read it anyway.

I am looking forward instead to the homemade show OP has planned. Funny thing is it is actually true now.... Stuff made on mobiles on You Tube can very interesting.

pontoufle Fri 09-Sep-16 16:13:31

I particularly liked the part that showed you how to order a takeaway pizza.

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 09-Sep-16 16:15:11

I watched 5 mins of it.

Pitiful.

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 09-Sep-16 16:17:32

It made New York look about as interesting as Slough.

WashingMatilda Fri 09-Sep-16 16:19:05

pont grin

It's such a damned shame as New York is my favourite place in the whole world. So full of this little buzz in the air that I just haven't felt anywhere else.
sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now