to think ok, its only a few quid, but this is a piss take?

(22 Posts)
Madeupforthis Fri 09-Sep-16 11:04:53

I am going along to a trial session of a baby class next week. It's not cheap, £7 per class. The website says the trial is half price. After speaking with the lady running the class, she says its not half price as she has overheads to pay.

When I had my first DS we used to go to a lot of free/half price trials and then would book a term of 6 classes as a result. The overheads are the same regardless of how many people she has in the room, her equipment is bought outright and the service she is offering is the same whether I am there or not. She has been running these classes for over 6 years. I am potentially going to spend over £40... I have emailed her a pic of where it says half price trial session and she still says its full price.

AIBU to think this is a bit shit? I'll still pay but feel like its the principle.

Tywinlannister Fri 09-Sep-16 11:06:21

I say piss take. Why advertise as half price if it actually isn't. She should give it to you at half price and then change her advertising and pricing.

ChasedByBees Fri 09-Sep-16 11:06:24

Did you ask why she's giving false information?

HeCantBeSerious Fri 09-Sep-16 11:08:19

Presumably the parent company offers the discount and she's a franchisee? If so, I don't think the parent company would be too happy about it....... wink

Arseicle Fri 09-Sep-16 11:13:56

It's probably a franchise and she is not following what everyone else does.

It's your money, if you want to go, pay it. Or don't go.

wowfudge Fri 09-Sep-16 11:14:17

Is a trial not for someone who hasn't done them before?

But YANBU - if the website states something she won't honour then I'd tell her it's false advertising and she needs to update the website pronto.

Madeupforthis Fri 09-Sep-16 11:14:52

She updates her own section of the website and other groups have got "events" like free trials on Mondays/1 extra session when you book 3 blocks etc

I didn't want to be too confrontational with her as I hear from friends the classes are really good. I really want to go, but this is has just made me feel a bit annoyed. She's probably really nice but I don't even understand her reasoning about overheads.

londonrach Fri 09-Sep-16 11:15:02

False advertising. I wouldnt book with her as why offer something you dont offer. Not trustworthy or honorable. Bet trading standards wouldnt like that. Can you do the classes with someone else.

Madeupforthis Fri 09-Sep-16 11:15:56

I haven't done them, I went to a similar one with DS1 but this lady was starting out just as he got too big to go.

JinkxMonsoon Fri 09-Sep-16 11:19:23

I wouldn't do the class if she's going to be like that. I realise that it's her business and she needs to make money, but if you're going to be a dick towards a new potential customer, then forget it.

I'd also be tempted to contact the franchise (or is it "franchiser"? Brain fail!) and say that she's refusing to offer trial sessions, because I'm sure they'd be pissed off to hear that.

Xmasbaby11 Fri 09-Sep-16 11:21:50

I've never heard of a trial you have to pay for and 7 quid is steep as well! I'd say based on the leader's attitude I would find another class unless you're desperate to go to this one. That's a terrible way to treat customers.

JudyCoolibar Fri 09-Sep-16 11:27:24

I wouldn't book, and might put something on her business FB if she has one. Nobody needs to go to baby classes.

Madeupforthis Fri 09-Sep-16 11:31:23

I am just looking to see if I can go elsewhere and its such a shame as her class is walkable and she covers a huge area, so all the ones near me are her too. I could drive to another one but it is a long way. The thing is, even if I do badger her in to giving me the h/p trial that she is offering herself anyway, it has made me feel petty for chasing £3.50. Not a good start, is it!

Madeupforthis Fri 09-Sep-16 11:33:02

Even though she is the petty one for not giving me a measly £3.50 off a class she would be doing anyway, whether I were there or not! And she has been offering the discount on her website! ARGH!

LivingOnTheDancefloor Fri 09-Sep-16 11:36:34

If you really want to do the class, I would let it go.
However, if you don't I would email the parent company asking for a refund.
TBH I would have refused to pay her the full amount for the trial, just the advertised price, and said I wouldn't have gone if it wasn't for the discount.

NightWanderer Fri 09-Sep-16 11:37:14

Just go. It's annoying but why cut your nose off to spite your face? I run a class and offer a free trial lesson, some sign up, some don't. She sounds a pain but if the class is good and you'd enjoy it then go and have fun.

RhiWrites Fri 09-Sep-16 11:37:19

I think her actions show she's dodgy. I wouldn't book with her.

Tywinlannister Fri 09-Sep-16 11:41:06

I get what you mean, she has made you feel like an arsehole for having to negotiate to get a price which she offered to start with. I wouldn't go based on that.

redskytonight Fri 09-Sep-16 11:42:39

If it bothers you, then don't go. £7 for a baby class is ridiculous anyway.

Madeupforthis Fri 09-Sep-16 11:52:12

I feel the same, I wanted to see what a £7 baby class consisted of tbh! grin I never paid that with DS1. Anyway, I've decided not to go and may/may not drive to the other one. If I went with her, I'd forever think "You quibbled with me over £3.50" and made me feel bad for asking for a discount you offered and probably gave to loads of other mums.

Saracen Fri 09-Sep-16 11:52:51

It is a piss take. She isn't being very businesslike.

But if you are pretty sure you will enjoy the class, then suck it up. Might be better than sitting at home alone with your baby and the knowledge that you're in the right.

Madeupforthis Fri 09-Sep-16 12:04:19

My DS1's old class runs at almost the same time opposite my house and I know the lady is lovely, so I won't be missing out. Grabby £3.50 lady will be though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now