Calling vets on mumsnet-AIBU to take cat to vet? What will they do?

(23 Posts)
Fortybingowings Fri 09-Sep-16 09:48:50

Posting here for traffic. Any passing vets?
My cat is poorly and aged 11. Stopped eating apart from a few mouthfuls of the jelly from a pouch. Been going on for a few days.
What will they do- blood tests/scans, will it be really costly? Love my poor cat to bits and I don't want to let her down, but trying to be pragmatic...

acasualobserver Fri 09-Sep-16 09:51:25

I assume they will give you an idea of the costs involved before they begin investigations or treatment. I'd take it from there.

Footle Fri 09-Sep-16 09:53:21

Do you qualify for the PDSA ?

Pardonwhat Fri 09-Sep-16 09:54:06

What's the other option? Let her starve?
Take her to the vet. If you can't afford it you'll have to work out a payment plan.

reallyanotherone Fri 09-Sep-16 09:59:10

you can refuse any costly investigations, especially if it's not going to make any difference to treatment or outcome.

For example, when my cat stopped eating there were three things they thought it might be. The treatment for all 3 was steroids, so we skipped the anaesthetic and ultrasound to find out which of the 3 things it was and went to the steroids, which is what would have happened with the scan anyway...

Fortybingowings Fri 09-Sep-16 10:00:38

Im taking her- booked an appointment. I'm just wondering if anyone could give me an idea what tests they would do,how long they take to get results and what they cost. That sort of thing.

BigDamnNCFail Fri 09-Sep-16 10:05:04

When my cat stopped eating/drinking the vet gave him a check over and took his temp. and after ascertaining he had a fever he got painkillers and antibiotics. Can't remember how much it all cost, now. South East so quite pricey - maybe £50 ish?

The cat went from looking like he was about to die to being fine very quickly, though, so it was more than worth it.

JellyBelli Fri 09-Sep-16 10:05:10

First thing they'll do is check her mouth, it could be a mouth ulcer or a problem with her teeth. If its that, it could cost a couple of hundred or less to put right.
You can phone them for a guesstimate, or look on their webtsite.

Lazyafternoon Fri 09-Sep-16 10:07:16

Sorry I've no idea - when I've taken our cats to the vet for various ailments it's really varied. When I thought would be a little thing ended up being expensive, when thought massive thing it wasn't much!

When you go to the vets just be upfront and say as much as you love your cat you need to say that you are very concerned about costs, so can they explain for you. Our vets is always very good and does thorough examination then say 'What I think is this....' then next steps would be 'I strongly recommend X which will cost £xx, if you want to we could do more test which would cost £xxx'.

Until a vet has seen the teeth, fur condition, weight etc it's probably impossible to say. Good luck xxx

LonestarStateOfMind Fri 09-Sep-16 11:07:54

We had a Dcat that stopped eating except for a few bits of jelly, just like yours, we took her to the vet and she had to get a tooth out. They did it there and then and I can't remember how much it cost but wasn't shock

SuperBoppy Fri 09-Sep-16 12:09:10

My cat is 10, and has lost weight recently. It WILL be costly I'm afraid. Mine is insured but I'm looking at £200 in excesses and possibly 20% of the cost of all treatment. My overall bill is nearing £800 for a three blood tests, a scan, and a metric fuck ton of antibiotics, and they still can't tell me why her liver isn't functioning correctly and so it goes on.

Is it possible your cat has stopped eating because of teeth issues? Another problem with mine, I was quoted £430 for an extraction!!!

It's horrifying, I love my cat too and I want her to get well but I will NEVER have another, or anything bigger than a goldfish going forward.

Good luck, I hope it's something simple. x

SuperBoppy Fri 09-Sep-16 12:19:47

Realised I didn't actually answer your question. PP absolutely right, they will check the cat's mouth, poke around a bit, weigh and take temp. They'll give you an estimate for anything they think you should do - leaving you possibly in the position where you're going to have to say you can't afford it unfortunately but you're going to have to take that chance - but they won't do anything without your say so and so you will only have to pay for the initial consultation.

But take your cat - it might be something simple. My fingers are crossed for you. smile x

MTBMummy Fri 09-Sep-16 13:12:24

I'm not a vet, but our elderly cat (age 12) had similar, turns out she had a tooth that was bothering her, so was only licking the jelly off her food, as teeth aren't covered by our insurance we had to pay the full amount for the tooth extraction and having her teeth cleaned, cost just shy of £200 all in, she's back to normal now and on a dry food only diet as apparently it's better for their teeth.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon x

madcapcat Fri 09-Sep-16 13:15:07

They will also check for dehydration etc. Our last cat spent 24 hours on a drip as a result of a virus (at the age of 18) which perked her back up and she lived another 2 years. My vet told me that you should always take them if you notice changes because cats are very bad at showing illness / pain.

madcapcat Fri 09-Sep-16 13:17:04

PS We've never had a vet bill the size of Superboppy's despite numerous blood tests, extractions under GA, etc - maybe it's cheaper in Edinburgh? WE do have a VERY good vet though

choccybiscuit Fri 09-Sep-16 13:17:07

Sounds like a dental problem. I'd take her to the vets.

Magstermay Fri 09-Sep-16 13:19:07

Glad you've booked an appointment - until she's examined by your vet it is impossible to say what investigations (if any) are recommended and the cost will vary depending on the practice and where you are in the country.

The vet will do a thorough exam and explain their recommendations. Ultimately it is entirely up to you what you do so just be open with them about what you can afford and take time to think about it if necessary. They will let you know how urgent any treatments are. In general the sooner you get the right treatment, the quicker she will get better and the cheaper it will be.

horseygeorgie1 Fri 09-Sep-16 13:23:06

Take her and explain your worries about costs to the vets. They will do what they can within your budget and if more expensive things are needed they may well do you a payment plan. Don't be afraid to be open about this, they prefer to know what they are working with.

MrsBertBibby Fri 09-Sep-16 13:34:08

I would never get a cat without insurance. My old lady got sick in January, she had a battery of blood and urine tests, ultrasound, and in the end an MRI scan which showed a brain tumour. All that brought me close to the annual max on the policy £5K. If they were able to operate I'd have had to find a big part of the costs, but the tumour is inoperable, so since March she's been on steroids and is pretty happy, as long as she can lie in the sunshine.

Magstermay Fri 09-Sep-16 20:30:40

How did you get on Forty?

Fortybingowings Fri 09-Sep-16 22:55:27

Cat had a temperature of 40 degrees so we assume an infection of some sort. She's had an injection of antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. I have antibiotic tablets to give her for 7 days. She's perked up a little and eaten some food, so I'm hoping she'll turn the corner. Thanks all

Magstermay Sat 10-Sep-16 02:25:58

Ah, good that they found something they could treat rather than doing lots of tests. Hope the meds work quickly.

BigDamnHero Sun 11-Sep-16 08:34:08

Forty, sounds very like when my cat stopped eating and he perked right up and was fine within a couple of days with the antibiotics so fingers crossed it's the same for you and your cat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now