'eloping' with the DC?

(9 Posts)
MermaidTears Fri 09-Sep-16 09:02:07

Has anyone ever done this?
After serious family arguments and a cancelled wedding we are seriously considering just us and the 3 dds next year running off abroad, maybe Thailand or somewhere beautiful and 'eloping'.
It will cost not much more than the cost of just a holiday.
And have a party upon our return to celebrate with everyone.
The stress nearly done me in when we tried to plan a wedding that suited everyone and everything.

My main concern is that I I'll wake up on my wedding day and be very upset that my family are not there?

Any experience of this?

BoredOnMatLeave Fri 09-Sep-16 09:05:44

Not experienced it but it sounds wonderful smile... Go for it! Your DC will be there, that's all the family you need

c3pu Fri 09-Sep-16 09:41:03

What are you more interested in, a marriage or a wedding?

DanielCraigsUnderpants Fri 09-Sep-16 09:52:46

I think your plan sounds wonderful - would you want to offer some family members the opportunity to go on the holiday with you so they were there?

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Fri 09-Sep-16 09:52:51

Sounds like a great plan.
However, I would just say that you can still have a wedding that suits you and not 'everyone and everything'. You just plan it yourselves and tell everyone what the plans are and they can come or not. It's what we did - made our plans involved no one, consulted no one (except a couple of trusted friends) sent out the invites and that was it - there were a few grumbles but we ignored them and everyone came and had an amazing day.
If you don't think that's possible, your plan seems rather fun and was an option we gave serious thought to.

trafalgargal Fri 09-Sep-16 09:55:32

Aren't your DC your family ?

You don't have to go as far as Thailand , you could hop off to Gretna .....or you could invite your close family out for a special lunch and Spring it on them that there's a trip to the registry office first on the day . (Something like a substantial first course served , second course is their button holes and corsages , walk or pre booked cabs to registry office then back for the main and cake ...or even a private dining room in a place that is registered for weddings and have the ceremony at your venue.)

RB68 Fri 09-Sep-16 10:06:01

Go for it - its your "family" that have caused the stress etc. Do it your way - its your day

FinallyHere Fri 09-Sep-16 10:36:29

As my elder stepson told his father and I when we first broke the news that we were getting married... its your day, do it how you want. Very sensible lad, that boy.

A holiday together sounds wonderful, but please check out what you need to do, in order to have the ceremony abroad 'count' as a valid wedding in your country of residence. How about a lovely day out as a family, taking in an appointment at the local registry office ( having done all the necessary paperwork in advance)? You could have arranged a party for 'everyone' that evening, when you can break the news. Hope you find what 'sparks joy' for you.

MermaidTears Fri 09-Sep-16 11:26:35

I wouldn't want any other family on our holiday with us. It's all or nothing. I wouldn't want our parents at home but a random great aunt there, but that's just my way of thinking. All or nothing.
We will go abroad anyway for a holiday so we will do it there.

Not interested in a big white wedding, I would even be happy with a blessing.

I don't want any stress!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now