Talk

Advanced search

To think the labour leader debate last night was a mistake

(50 Posts)
pleasemothermay1 Fri 09-Sep-16 08:45:26

I think most people Barr hard core momentumites reasies if your to ever win a election now you will have to win over Troy's hi

It was a shambles there was booing people shouting at Owen

I think It was a awful mistake and only showed how devided that labour is more than any mature debate 😳

And after the election if all the shadow cabinet do just fall in behind jc I think the Tory's will simply make hay with the filp Flopness of the MPs

This is not about weather you like jc or not it's weather Tory's and UKIP voters will elect him
Answer I don't think I will be voting labour anytime soon

For what it's worth I think owns a bits weak as well

Crunchymum Fri 09-Sep-16 08:48:27

Your post is very hard to make sense of?

pleasemothermay1 Fri 09-Sep-16 08:49:18

Sorry😕

pleasemothermay1 Fri 09-Sep-16 08:52:36

Try to be clear

Last night the debate only served to show labour as more devided and less electable

It didn't seem strong , or sensible or mature or a party in waiting to rule

The people were booing own Jones there was heckling with jc just saying well it will all work out once I am re elected 😳

Playing to the rally's is all well and good but I think it's widely expected to win an election you need to win back the Tory's and also SNP voters there's nothing he's said so far or last night that as a Tory voter myself thinks this will happen any time soon

pleasemothermay1 Fri 09-Sep-16 08:54:47

I can see now why jc won't do tv shows

It was awful

BewtySkoolDropowt Fri 09-Sep-16 09:06:59

I don't think JC is weak. I think he is principled and doesn't allow himself to get entangled in petty schoolboy politics.

I wish more politicians behaved like that.

I know people will read this and assume I vote labour. I last voted labour in the mid-90's. FWIW.

StillDrSethHazlittMD Fri 09-Sep-16 09:10:25

Bewty Sorry I have to disagree with you. While I agree with some of his policies, there were times last night where he behaved just like any other politician and dodged the actual question he was being asked. Right at the end, for example, was a question about the monarchy and he totally avoided it. TWICE, even after Dimbleby pointed out he'd avoided it. So much for a "fresh" approach. He came out better than Jones but he didn't come out of it well.

pleasemothermay1 Fri 09-Sep-16 09:25:25

The whole this was just cringe the booing the heckling I thought we wanted a new type of political style and it was mostly from his supports

They just looke like a shambles not a govermnet in waiting

I think they should be at least trying to keep there dirty laundry hidden

NatashaBolkonskaya Fri 09-Sep-16 09:53:59

for example, was a question about the monarchy and he totally avoided it. TWICE, even after Dimbleby pointed out he'd avoided it.

But that was the whole point of asking that particular question wasn't it? Everyone knows that Corbyn is a republican so such a question is designed to either make him say something the tabloids can get into a froth about or to swerve the subject so that people can, as you have, say sarcastically "Oh, I thought we were doing straightforward, honest politics these days."

BarbarianMum Fri 09-Sep-16 10:00:15

I never think it is a mistake for politicians to hold public debates. We need to know what we are voting for. Better real people, warts and all, than a slick, soundbite-ridden facade manufactured by PR consultants.

101handbags Fri 09-Sep-16 10:46:05

So if we are doing straightforward, honest politics, all Corbyn had to say was 'I've made my views on this known many times, it's well known I am a republican and I have nothing more to say on the matter'.

StillDrSethHazlittMD Fri 09-Sep-16 10:48:45

Natasha It doesn't matter what the point of that question was. A member of the public asked it, the politician should answer it. He could absolutely have said what 101handbags suggests. But he didn't. He avoided it.

SimplyLovely Fri 09-Sep-16 10:51:01

I wish more MPs would conduct themselves as Jeremy does because he will not start throwing personal jibes at others which is very respectable. He is better leader material out of the two. Owen Smith was an absolute joke. Not only was his second referendum speech absolute tosh but he kept coming out with "I've always been labour" -- but would refuse to work under Jeremy Corbyn!

TheNaze73 Fri 09-Sep-16 10:54:22

Thought it was generally poor all round.

JustAnotherPoster00 Fri 09-Sep-16 10:56:28

Yeah let's just point out the small number of questions Corbyn doesnt answer but we'll let when everyone else does it slide. The new PM can't even answer a straight question at all.

Yeah Corbyn does need to entice some swing voters but the amount of people that don't vote is huge so if he can persuade those to vote again that will increase the vote share because the Tories are currently governing on a 24% vote share (I think its about that, sorry if that is inaccurate)

whywonthedgehogssharethehedge Fri 09-Sep-16 10:59:01

JC is currently the least wankery wanker in a bunch of wankers.

SimplyLovely Fri 09-Sep-16 11:01:10

I don't think Labour will win when Owen Smith acts like a petulant child over the EU referendum after the public voted. Corbyn didn't like the result but accepts it and wants to make the right deals. When all this is going on I can see another Tory (maybe even ukip) victory in the future.

StillDrSethHazlittMD Fri 09-Sep-16 11:06:30

Just Where did I let everyone else slide? I clearly said that last night JC proved himself as adept at evading questions when he chooses to, just like every other politician, which goes against what he himself said he wants which is open, honest, kinder politics. He himself can only manage the last of those three.

Oh, and I'm not a Tory voter before you ask. He may be better leader material of the two but that is seriously underwhelming. He may have good policies, but his own MPs can't work with him, he is not an effective leader and is incapable of providing the strong opposition this country needs.

SimplyLovely Fri 09-Sep-16 11:08:17

If you support Labour what do you think needs to happen to make the party united again?

pleasemothermay1 Fri 09-Sep-16 11:18:13

He needs to win back SNP voters in Scotland, Tories , UKIP supports and undecideds

My husband never voted Tory until last election he was so gutted but just can't see any way with jc

Tbh TM is looking evey bit the statesman whole jc drones on about getting rid of the nukes

I mean 3rd in Scotland who would have ever thought

I ask again to the jc loves do you think he can get UKIP and Tories to vote labour

Last night was disaster for labour it brought the in fighting to life in a awful way

DrDreReturns Fri 09-Sep-16 11:54:07

Man of principle = someone with rigid views who won't be able to choose between two unpalatable options, which you have to do when you are in power. I don't want JC anywhere near number 10.
It's very depressing, we will have at least another decade, more likely 15 years, of conservative rule. It is unhealthy for one party to be in power so long imo. But it will take Labour ages to sort themselves out.

NatashaBolkonskaya Fri 09-Sep-16 12:04:34

* It doesn't matter what the point of that question was.* Actually, I think it does matter why the question was asked.
For certain sections of the LP and MSM, Corbyn has what are considered 'weak' spots which are covered ad nauseam in the hope of getting him to say something they can go to town on.

but his own MPs can't work with him, Some MPs are happily working with him. Let's face it, there are entrenched anti-Corbyn LP members - MPs amongst them - who are determined to find fault with Corbyn whatever he says or does.

There is a narrative which has been running throughout the history of the Labour Party, which has become much stronger since Blair, Mandelson and 'New Labour' which says left wing policies don't appeal to the electorate. But this is interesting

TM is looking evey bit the statesman whole jc drones on about getting rid of the nukes Yes, that's right. I never hear him ever speak about anything else. hmm

StillDrSethHazlittMD Fri 09-Sep-16 12:16:04

Natasha But HAD he been honest and said precisely what Handbags suggested, I'd actually have been impressed by a leader with the courage of his own convictions to actually say what he believes. I might not agree with him on it, but at least I'd know he calls a spade a spade and THAT is what a lot of people want to see now. The honest politics he keeps calling for. And not enough of the Labour MPs can work with him to make an effective opposition or cabinet. It's farcical and these idiots, collectively, are ensuring the Tories will win the next election when it comes.

user1471439240 Fri 09-Sep-16 12:23:38

The Labour Party has disappeared up its own behind.
Whilst purportedly representing working class people it has alienated its core vote through futile virtue signalling politics championing worldwide minority causes.
Among the working classes they are a joke.
It is over for them.

NatashaBolkonskaya Fri 09-Sep-16 12:33:19

It's farcical and these idiots, collectively, are ensuring the Tories will win the next election when it comes.

Well, I'm not convinced that anything he'd said on the subject would have been respected - if one is determined to make capital out of something anything will do, frankly.

But since this has very quickly degenerated into calling people who differ politically from you idiots, there is obviously no debate to be had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now