7 year old walking home from school alone

(10 Posts)
friendshipstruggle Fri 09-Sep-16 08:21:10

In a nice area, the school is within the housing estate with 1 small road to cross. The 7 year old is sensible, in Y3, but only just turned 7. Is it unreasonable to allow him to walk home with no adult? The parents around here have wildly opposing views on this and I'm interested to hear a wider opinion.

LunaLoveg00d Fri 09-Sep-16 08:23:05

I would.

BittyWanter Fri 09-Sep-16 08:24:33

I wouldn't. Too young.

But I said that on your other thread too hmm

JackShit Fri 09-Sep-16 08:25:55

No way!

Shinyshoes2 Fri 09-Sep-16 08:26:38

No I wouldn't

CaptainCrunch Fri 09-Sep-16 08:27:02

How many times are you going to post this? angry

someonestolemynick Fri 09-Sep-16 09:20:10

I would. Walking to school unaccompanied is perfectly fine. It confuses me that this is seen as almost child abuse in this country.
You teach them how to cross roads, navigate traffic and then let them get on with it. Even better if they go in a group.

I grew up in Germany where this is absolutely the norm. On their first day of school, kids get a bright yellow or Orange cap so they are seen on their walk to school when they walk to school while it's still dark. Thousands of six year-olds survive this every day.

RiverTam Fri 09-Sep-16 09:21:45

It's not allowed in our school. Only years 5 and 6 can be unaccompanied.

I wouldn't, and I think DD would absolutely hate it. And I feel it would put real pressure on parents going the same way to keep an eye on her.

Who is instigating this, you or them?

Afreshstartplease Fri 09-Sep-16 09:23:04

I wouldn't. I have a child of this age. No way.

friendshipstruggle Fri 09-Sep-16 09:23:26

Sorry, double posting, it was a mistake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now