Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your advice on surviving wedding with small children

(14 Posts)
Onthedowns Fri 09-Sep-16 01:27:24

My DSIS is getting married next week. Venue only 20 mins away. I have 4 yr old dd who is flower girl and 6 month old boy. I am planning on leaving dd to it with regards to sleeping etc she will crash when tired. DS I am hoping he will sleep in pram for large part of evening we will probs aim to leave 11ish. I am slightly worried about DS's ears and noise? Would you buy earphones? Also I assuming his loose routine will go to pot!! Any tips grateful things to take etc!!! I will be holding back on alcohol consumption!!

melibu84 Fri 09-Sep-16 01:40:17

Sorry, I don't have any advice, but will be keeping an eye on this thread. My DS is 2 months old, and I'll be taking him to a wedding in October, so could also use the advice!

StrawberryQuik Fri 09-Sep-16 05:19:03

We took DS (almost 5 months) to a wedding last week. It was fine smile

The church it was in had a cry chapel otherwise I would have sat at the back ready to take him out.
Had a micro nap between church and reception venue.
Another micro nap in my arms during dinner.
We didn't take him on the dance floor and we or friends wondered round with him during the evening (because we didn't think about ear defenders)
Left at 10pm when he was starting to flag.
Did cry for the 5 min drive to the hotel, then slept through the the night and had a long nap the next day but was perfectly cheerful.

The only annoying thing is we couldn't leave him in the pram because the waiters asked us to move it to the side of the room.

Me624 Fri 09-Sep-16 05:48:24

Also following as we've got one tomorrow with 6 month old DS! The last wedding we took him to he was 5 weeks old so had no concept of bedtime back then!

We haven't got any ear defenders, most weddings have areas away from the music in the evening. Neither DH or I are dancers anyway! I'm planning on taking a baby grow and getting DS changed into it about 7 when he'd normally be going to bed, popping him in his buggy and hoping he'll go off to sleep as he normally does and we can just transfer into the cot when he gets home. If he doesn't then meh, one day with no routine won't kill him. Is your DS normally a good sleeper when out and about? Mine is usually fine if I put him in a corner facing away from any action which will distract him!

Onthedowns Fri 09-Sep-16 06:23:40

He can be a good sleeper but as get older distraction. The band will be in one large room so won't take him in the dance floor but noise might be issue anyway. We have high hair pram will take nightclothes. And plenty of toys and bottles

whatyouseeiswhatyouget Fri 09-Sep-16 06:30:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HeyMicky Fri 09-Sep-16 06:33:18

DD1 went to a wedding at 13 days and DD2 at three weeks. Neither needed ear defenders - it wasn't too noisy at the tables even when the disco was on.

phillipp Fri 09-Sep-16 06:35:22

Ds was 6 months at dbros wedding. Dh took him out of the church as he cried, then came back in.

At night dh took him to the hotel room at 9pm and spent the next 2 hours running round after Dd (she was 6). Then we went to bed at 11pm.

BirdInTheRoom Fri 09-Sep-16 06:41:05

My tip is prepare to not enjoy yourself very much! Your day will mainly be taken up with seeing to the demands of little children. If you think that way you won't be disappointed you didn't have an amazing time! (Sorry!)

Onthedowns Fri 09-Sep-16 08:56:14

Thanks not expecting it to be easy obviously!

summerskittles91 Fri 09-Sep-16 09:05:32

My DN is 4, and DN2 is 6 months going on 7, since DN2 we've been to 4 weddings I think.. Indian ones too, so each one lasts about 3 or 4 days! Noise wont bother the baby at all smile DN2 slept through most of the weddings/parties even with the loud music.

I took DN2 out during 1 wedding as she was due a feed (SIL had bought formula) fed her and then she went to sleep. TBH at that age babies just sleep, until they get tired and whingey. If you can get back early then thats the best option. Im sure everyone will understand.

Don't worry about your DD, she'll keep herself entertained.

Enjoy! xx

Onthedowns Fri 09-Sep-16 10:01:41

I am thinking of leaving at about 10pm

corythatwas Fri 09-Sep-16 10:14:52

Depends on how loud the band is. I have beautiful photos from my own wedding of nephew and niece floating around the dance floor in the arms of the teenagers we had engaged as babysitters. But then we had traditional dance music and there wasn't much drunkenness, so nothing one wouldn't want them to see.

Farmmummy Fri 09-Sep-16 10:33:29

We took dd1 who was preemie to one at about 4 months and she was grand put her in a gro and sat her in buggy left early because grumpy elderly aunt wanted to go home not because of dd1. Dd2 at 6 months also grand although she's not as easygoing and it was the hottest day of the year. Waiter said no buggy highchair is at table but she was sleepy and only 6 months so we asked nicely for them to take the high chair away and put the buggy in its place (only a wee one with fold in handle) they had expected older child and were worried they were a meal short so quite relieved. She was grand quite interested in all goings on although took her out for air a couple of times during the evening as it was so warm. Then fell asleep anyway without ear defenders

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now