To have said something to the man reversing in Aldi cat park.

(23 Posts)
windmillsofyourmind Thu 08-Sep-16 16:54:09

My Dh made me feel a bit guilty at the time and said "don't be nasty".
We were walking across the carpark and a man started to reverse his car after we had already started to pass him. He saw us, had no intention of stopping so I just called out "we're behind you".

My Dh thought it was nasty of me, I just thought at the time surely it's better to let people know when they're doing something dangerous.
Was Ibu and nasty or was I right to have said something.

Champagneformyrealfriends Thu 08-Sep-16 16:56:03

It depends how you said it really-you could have been in his blind spot.

MrsSellors Thu 08-Sep-16 16:58:13

I think its hard to say it depends where you were and how close the car was etc.

I was walking through asda carpark by the cars as there was a car coming up the carpark when someone just started reversing and i banged my hand on the boot. That was because i was right behind them and they would have hit me and a car was coming up the other way. They were very apologetic, just made a mistake.

Womenareliketeabags Thu 08-Sep-16 16:59:10

I'm just giggling at cat park.

<no help>

SouthWindsWesterly Thu 08-Sep-16 16:59:49

How does "we're behind you" translate as nasty? Unless you added Smeghead to the end

ThoraGruntwhistle Thu 08-Sep-16 17:01:25

Depends on the tone of voice I think. Calling it out to them as a warning is one thing, shouting it in a 'HEY I'M WALKING HERE' way, kind of different.

ShiroiKoibito Thu 08-Sep-16 17:01:33

depends, were you behind the car before he started reversing? the amount of times people wander behind my car in the supermarket even when i am already reversing

If (like you're op states) you were already behind the car before he was moving, then YWNBU

windmillsofyourmind Thu 08-Sep-16 17:02:31

I didn't think I said it in a nasty way, but he did make eye contact with me but carried on regardless. I wouldn't have thought anymore of it but for Dh saying that to me, but that's the way he is, his attitude is, what's the point in saying anything.

BeMorePanda Thu 08-Sep-16 17:02:39

well if he saw you and kept going he was effectively trying to run you over so YANBU.

Or he didn't see you and you alerted him to your presence which isn't U either.

But carparks are pretty notorious with lots of movement and room for error - I try no to walk behind cars if I can avoid it but if I'm going to be walking behind parked cars I keep my wits about me.

That1950sMum Thu 08-Sep-16 17:04:45

Maybe because you made eye contact he expect you to stop and not walk behind his reversing car?

ApocalypseSlough Thu 08-Sep-16 17:05:39

It doesn't depend on anything- there's no way that 'we're behind you' could be construed as anything but a warning not to drive not you!
Does your husband believe you should suck up every social interaction up to and including being run over rather than make a fuss? Is he painfully shy or Swedish?
Don't give it another thought.

ApocalypseSlough Thu 08-Sep-16 17:06:46

"that's the way he is, his attitude is, what's the point in saying anything."
He is Swedish isn't he? grin

specialsubject Thu 08-Sep-16 17:07:15

sightlines on modern cars are really bad and people often CBA to maintain reversing lights. Combine this with the dangerous practice of parking nose in, and so many who just don't look, and you have a recipe for just this kind of near-miss.

be very careful in car parks.

GoldFishFingerz Thu 08-Sep-16 17:07:16

I have images of a pantomime style 'we're behind you' - followed by 'oh no you're not'

GoldFishFingerz Thu 08-Sep-16 17:08:15

It's fine to say that. Better alive then dead

windmillsofyourmind Thu 08-Sep-16 17:10:14

My Dh asked me afterwards what was the point in saying anything, I explained to him (as I many times have for similar things) "because I thought he should have been made aware." but then I got to doubting myself, hence this post.

Fairybella Thu 08-Sep-16 17:16:23

A few weeks a go a car hit my buggy with my dd2 in it. We were crossing the road... It came from behind us... It just missed dd1 and myself... This guy said "just didn't see u" so how ever you said it I think it is justified... Better than the alternative. You did better than I did... I repeatedly hollered "oh shit" "oh god" "oh no" in between hyperventilating and sobbing!

Discobabe Thu 08-Sep-16 17:17:01

He saw you and carried on anyway. Even if it was in an arsy tone if they're about to hit you or are railroading their way out because their car is bigger than you, what the heck do they expect?! I can't imagine why anyone would assume you, the pedestrian with right of way, would stop just because you made eye contact.

2kids2dogsnosense Thu 08-Sep-16 17:27:33

Stoppit Fingerz ! - now I'm laughing and they all want to know why . . .

BuggersMuddle Thu 08-Sep-16 17:36:20

Well it's a lot more polite than what I said to the guy who started reversing a massive digger onto the pavement I was walking on without looking earlier today...

gillybeanz Thu 08-Sep-16 17:37:15

Does a pedestrian have right of way on a car park, or is it the car?

Not that this is relevant if you think you are going to get knocked over.

I try to cross at designated crossings and stay in those middle pedestrian bits for as long as possible, to get to the car.
Have nearly come a cropper on numerous occasions walking across the car park.

Piscivorus Thu 08-Sep-16 17:39:06

Not unreasonable to alert him but sometimes it is unreasonable for pedestrians to be walking behind the cars if there are walkways or paths marked.

I was in a new supermarket recently, the car park is really spacious, well marked, well lit and has loads of pedestrian paths marked. As I began reversing from a space a family with 3 or 4 children, a couple quite small walked from a blind spot right near the back of my car with the mother glaring and chunnering because my car moved. Despite this they continued to weave their way between cars to wherever they were going, ignoring all the pedestrian markings.

Discobabe Thu 08-Sep-16 18:11:26

Pedestrians always have right of way If there is no footpath/designated walkway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now