to dislike red uniforms?

(147 Posts)
FourLittleSpeckledFrogs Thu 08-Sep-16 16:50:39

I have seen a few private school red uniforms that looked nice, but very obviously very, very expensive.

I prefer navy/blue.

A school near me has a particularly yucky brown/ mint green combination envy

desperatehousewife21 Thu 08-Sep-16 16:52:21

My ds' uniform is red but not a bright red, I personally like it it's a bit different to the usual blue and I can spot him easily in a busy playground after school!

My personal fav for infant/ junior is a dark green though.

AllTheFluffyAnimals Thu 08-Sep-16 16:54:46

I like red, it's nice and cheerful, plus it's easy to find in shops.

FourLittleSpeckledFrogs Thu 08-Sep-16 16:55:19

The last time I was in Dublin I saw a girls' school with dark green and pink- it was quite unusual looking. I think it was a pink pinny and a green shirt?

youngestisapsycho Thu 08-Sep-16 16:55:29

My DD has a red uniform.... Red polo and red jumper with black or grey skirt/trousers. I like the red, nicer than blue/bottle green which all the other .local schools have

Sirzy Thu 08-Sep-16 16:55:37

I don't mind red uniforms.

It's black uniforms I have a dislike for and I don't know why.

TheNaze73 Thu 08-Sep-16 16:56:29

YABU, makes a nice change from the yawnfest of Royal blue

blueturtle6 Thu 08-Sep-16 16:57:17

I prefer blue, but that was my school uniform. I do dislike t-shirt/polo shirts instead of proper shirts

FourLittleSpeckledFrogs Thu 08-Sep-16 16:57:26

I don't like black on children either. I do like grey, I think it's because it's a bit softer.

BeMorePanda Thu 08-Sep-16 16:57:32

ours are green and gold.
I'd run you down for a red unicorn.

turkeyboots Thu 08-Sep-16 17:00:10

We have two local schools with a mustard yellow shirt/polo. The rest of the uniform is green at one and black at the other. Neither looks nice!

Balletgirlmum Thu 08-Sep-16 17:01:45

The jumpers at the junior school my children went to are red. I thought it looked really nice & the girls summer dresses were especially nice & bright.

The prefects at ds's school wear bright red Blazers but they are given them. Ds's tie is red & the optional jumper is edged with red.

Dd wears a burgundy blazer at her school & burgundy jumper (optional). I live the colour but not the cut of the blazer.

My secondary school has a bottle green uniform now, but when I went there it was a horrid olive green that got me called 'bogey bum' on the bus (in a weird twist of fate, by school children from the school my DCs now attend - it improved greatly over the years) DD's the only one left in uniform now and hers is grey and royal blue which looks okay.

GoldFishFingerz Thu 08-Sep-16 17:03:25

Red or blue suit most colouring.

rosesarered9 Thu 08-Sep-16 17:03:33

A private school near us has green and red vertical striped blazers, skirts and trousers! When they are all together it really hurts my eyes, and not just because it looks awful. If you've ever seen red writing on a green background you'll know why.

Oh, when they were in primary school it was navy blue all the way, which was fine for jumpers but almost impossible to buy in trouser and skirts (other local schools are all grey and black) Secondary school was far easier!

BestZebbie Thu 08-Sep-16 17:06:04

YANBU, red uniforms correlate highly with the risk of being killed on an alien planet.

Believeitornot Thu 08-Sep-16 17:07:16

What's wrong with red?

I hate unusually colours. Our local primary has purple - must be a right pain finding uniform.

strawberrypenguin Thu 08-Sep-16 17:07:19

Red is ok! Easy to get hold of too. When I was in primary my uniform was brown and yellow - now that was bad!

Whatslovegottodo Thu 08-Sep-16 17:09:20

My old primary head teacher changed the colour from red to blue as she had read studies saying it was an angry colour and increased children's aggression!

StarlingMurmuration Thu 08-Sep-16 17:10:20

Damn you Best, you beat me too it!

Cinnamon12345 Thu 08-Sep-16 17:10:27

Red is great for primary schools, bright and jolly.

OhSoggyBiscuit Thu 08-Sep-16 17:15:58

When I was in primary, my school uniform was red and navy. Red cardigans, navy skirts or pinafores. I was so cute in my little red tights and dress.

FourLittleSpeckledFrogs Thu 08-Sep-16 17:19:04

I can't really explain it, I just don't like it! I think it looks more washed out than other colours after a few months too.

LunaLoveg00d Thu 08-Sep-16 17:19:12

We have a school not far from me in Glasgow which is brown and yellow. It's not a good look.

We have grey and royal blue which is fine (and easy to shop for) and high school is black and white which is even easier.

I quite like bright postbox red, it's cheerful. I saw schoolkids at Legoland in July with this awful sort of orangey-red jumper and they were horrid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now