The school system is not "over feminised"

(19 Posts)
Felascloak Thu 08-Sep-16 09:36:14

A Tory MP has claimed women are being "shrill" about the gender pay gap and that school is too "overfeminised" and not "celebrating traditional masculine roles that males were born to do".
I think his points are regressive and insulting to women and girls. And i don't think focussing on traditional male roles like manufacturing and engineering at schools will help close the GCSE attainment gap between boys and girls. AIBU?

Felascloak Thu 08-Sep-16 09:36:25

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-mp-mocks-shrill-equal-8786667

Ifailed Thu 08-Sep-16 09:43:45

there's so many things wrong in this, it's hardly worth reading. Is this from a 1970s copy of the mirror?

dodobookends Thu 08-Sep-16 09:51:32

What century does he think he's living in for Heaven's sake?!! Complete and utter Tory Twat.

mrsfuzzy Thu 08-Sep-16 10:36:50

yabu for reading stuff from the 'mirror' smile those in politics seem to have their heads up their arses,

icanteven Thu 08-Sep-16 10:41:59

It's a pity he phrased himself so appallingly, because there are one or two valid points there, presumably the point of his speech. Poor white boys ARE being failed by the system, and they DO need more support, and with many coming from single parent households, it's possible that they DO lack men/positive male influences in their lives.

I think it's a pity that more men don't go into childcare and teaching, as it might give a different kind of support to boys who don't have men at home.

WellErrr Thu 08-Sep-16 10:44:07

Jumped up little shit.

WellErrr Thu 08-Sep-16 10:45:35

Poor white boys ARE being failed by the system, and they DO need more support, and with many coming from single parent households, it's possible that they DO lack men/positive male influences in their lives

Yes but how interesting that this isn't the fault of the fathers who abandon them, ie MEN, no no - it's us women's fault. Again.

Topknob Thu 08-Sep-16 10:49:41

icanteven

As a female, single parent I can assure you I am quite capable of raising my sons to be sensible, fair, unsexist young men all by myself.

echt Thu 08-Sep-16 10:52:38

So far as I have read, there is not the slightest evidence that having male role models affects the attainment of male students.

Lottapianos Thu 08-Sep-16 10:53:34

'what males were born to do'

This kind of shite makes me feel tired. Properly bone tired. I've got nothing else to say really, at least not right now!

Brandonstarkflakes Thu 08-Sep-16 10:54:11

And why the fuck does he think the education sector has been 'over feminised'? That's right, because the pay is so relatively crap (in terms of professional jobs at least) that blokes just don't want to do it.

And why are these kids being brought up without positive male role models? That's right, because their male fathers piss off and adandon them.

But somehow its the fault of the 'shrill' (his use of that word says it all) equal pay brigade?

Fuck off.

MarcelineTheVampire Thu 08-Sep-16 10:59:21

Urgh, this has upset me on many levels. What a cockwomble.

Soubriquet Thu 08-Sep-16 11:06:30

Men are born to help keep the species

The only job they do that a woman can't is to create sperm and impregnate the females

That is it

If boys are being let down, it isn't the women's fault.

Everyone deserves to be appreciated in their job and to have a full education. Male or female

JellyBelli Thu 08-Sep-16 11:09:47

'Shrill'. Whiny self entitled Tory knob.
Some male role model he is.

LugsTheDog Thu 08-Sep-16 11:24:40

Utter rubbish. If he made any decent points at all in the speech, they didn't make it into the article.

I thought there would be a reference to this article about girls' and boys' marks which I thought was quite interesting.

Felascloak Thu 08-Sep-16 11:37:41

Yeah when I started typing I though it is clear that boys are disadvantaged. Bit what annoys me is a) why us this women's fault and b) how is retreating to more rigid gender roles going to help?
Girls do less science and engineering but outperform boys when they do, I see no reason why that would be different if schools started teaching more e.g. woodwork. It's the blind assumption that boys are doing worse because the subjects don't reflect their "boy brain".

Also, the article lugs linked is interesting. Maybe it would be better to look at the root cause of why boys do less homework and are more defiant, rather than penalising girls yet again for being compliant.

Felascloak Thu 08-Sep-16 11:41:23

mrs couldn't find it reported anywhere else and I found it intetesting.
There is a whole other thread about why it's ok for male politicians to be openly misogynist (see also the lovely Philip Davies www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/philip-davies-feminists-cake-and-eat-it-tory-mp-mens-rights-conference-anti-women-comments-a7187351.html)

icanteven Thu 08-Sep-16 11:54:21

As a female, single parent I can assure you I am quite capable of raising my sons to be sensible, fair, unsexist young men all by myself.

I am completely confident that you are, but children from single parent households are twice as likely to be brought up in poverty, and poor boys in particular struggle a lot.

The utter idiot of an MP completely wiped out any virtue in his speech by couching it in offensive and archaic terms.

It does seem, however, that I am 100% wrong in my idea that more male teachers would have any impact. Mea culpa.

roehampton.openrepository.com/roehampton/handle/10142/41637

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now