We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To take baby our after 8 week jabs

(15 Posts)
bippitybopityboo Thu 08-Sep-16 08:47:31

Posted in parenting but there's not alot of people on there so posting here for traffic.
Any mums who have experience of the 8 week jabs my family have arranged a day out and was wondering if after his jabs this morning me and little one will be ok to go with them or AIBU to take him out will he just want to stay home today?
Jist want to do what's best for him, thanks

GettingScaredNow Thu 08-Sep-16 08:49:42

Hard to say categorically.
If your baby has a reaction it won't be immediate (unless some sort of allergy type reaction) but more likely a fever later on and a bit sniffly.

Neither of mine ever had reactions to any jabs.
I would totally go out. At worse my 2 just needed comfort. At 8 weeks they forget about it within moments

daisywhoopsie Thu 08-Sep-16 08:51:41

I had to go out after DS's, the only way to keep him calm was a moving pram and fresh air!

cherrypiemay16 Thu 08-Sep-16 08:54:14

Mine slept for hours for the following 48 hours, make the most of it! (But do give calpol) wink

LivinOnAChair Thu 08-Sep-16 08:55:15

With the new meningitis jab a lot of babies are having fever/temp reactions unfortunately sad my DS had a horrible reaction about three hours after and screamed the house down for 5 hours straight (high temp, vomiting etc). 12 week jabs were fine but then 16 week ones he had exactly the same reaction (4 month ones have the meningitis booster). Our nurse also recommended giving paracetamol immediately after to keep his temp down as the reactions are so common rather than the old advice of waiting and seeing if he needed it.

I probably wouldn't have a day out straight after based on my DS's reaction but yours might be different.

skyyequake Thu 08-Sep-16 09:02:16

You really can't tell until he's had them... DD just wanted cuddles and sleep after hers, but yours might be ok to sleep in the pram all day

You might want to be careful about reactions though and definitely take some calpol with you

I also found that DD cried so hard bless her that I just wanted to wrap her up in a blanket and cuddle her for the rest of the day (but she had hers late afternoon)

spacefrog35 Thu 08-Sep-16 09:03:15

My DD was absolutely fine, my friends DD was really clingy, sad, sleepy & fretful. Unfortunately there's really no telling. Is it the sort of day out where after a couple of hours you could call it quits and come home if things weren't going so well? If you could I'd go, if it's something like a theme park where you would be paying a lot of money to get in I'd be tempted to stay at home. Hope it all goes well.

LuchiMangsho Thu 08-Sep-16 09:12:31

Mine was fine. We gave some paracetamol and so he wasn't in pain. There was no reaction but he was a bit sleepy and grumpy for a day but we sort of carried on as normal. In fact he preferred being out rather than in anyway.

DoJo Thu 08-Sep-16 09:16:26

Mine was fine and a day out would have been a good distraction from his slightly sore leg. If you have a sling, that could be a good compromise as you will have him close and be cuddled up but still able to go out.

bippitybopityboo Thu 08-Sep-16 09:31:53

It's not too far half an hour from home so will see how he is and will probably go. Thankyou!

CountessOfStrathearn Thu 08-Sep-16 09:35:32

My 4 have always been fine afterwards.

middlings Thu 08-Sep-16 09:37:35

DD1 took the longest nap of her life after hers but that may have been as she was EXTREMELY put out by them and roared for a good half hour afterwards (wasn't a crier).

I don't remember DD2 having much of a reaction at all.

I'd go but be prepared to go home.

scarednoob Thu 08-Sep-16 09:46:41

fine to plan it, but warn them in advance that you might not be able to make it if the baby doesn't react well. I had planned to go out but poor DD had a bad local reaction to it and her little leg swelled up like a swiss roll and she screamed for about 5 hours straight. 12 and 16 week ones she barely noticed, but I sobbed!!

hopefully your baby will just sleep right through it smile

emmantfc Fri 09-Sep-16 02:06:01

My lo screamed and sobbed for about 8 straight hours afterwards, had swollen sore legs and wasn't back to his usual self until the following day, I was so relieved we had nowhere to go afterwards! Apparently it's the new Men B vaccine which causes a fever, and the rotavirus vaccine which can cause stomach cramps. Felt so sorry for him and felt huge guilt for subjecting him to it but better than the diseases themselves!

frikadela01 Fri 09-Sep-16 02:20:30

On the letter for my Ds jabs it said to give calpol immediately before havin them as others have said the meningitis jab can cause fever. Ds loves sleeping in his pram when we're out walking so I went straight from the surgery on a massive 4 hour walk. He didn't sleep one minute of it, he didn't cry just kept looking at me like I was the worst mother in the world grin. He did however sleep all that night and mostly throughout the next day poor thing.

I guess you can't predict these things. I rearranged meeting my sisters on that day just in case he was fussy since I figured if we were out on a walk the only person having to listen to him cry would be me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now