Talk

Advanced search

To think I shouldn't have to pay for this repair?

(20 Posts)
TheGruffaloMother Wed 07-Sep-16 22:01:01

I have a galaxy S7 edge phone. I pay a pretty penny each month for the privilege because it pretty much organises my whole life. It's uninsured but I generally treat my phones very well.

Shortly after I upgraded to it, it sustained a very small. A couple of millimeters long at most. I realised the curved edge to the screen needed more protection than all my previous phones and bought a case with silicone edging and a screen protector. It hasn't needed any other allowances to stop cracking further.

4 months of perfect performance after, it developed a battery drain issue that I managed to narrow down to being caused by a particular piece of software that's part of the operating system. Nothing I did fixed it but it was under warranty so I sent it off for repair. The crack in the screen was so minor at this point that the staff member who booked the phone in recorded it as being undamaged.

I received a prompt to log onto the repair site earlier today. On there it says 'warranty exclusion' and there's a quote for around £170 to repair the screen. There's no explanation for why a software issue will be resolved by this. But there are also pictures of my phone...there's a large spiderweb crack nearby but separate from the pre-existing damage. I now do want the screen repaired on top of the software problem, but I don't want to pay for it! AIBU?

TheGruffaloMother Wed 07-Sep-16 22:01:56

*a very small crack blush

magoria Wed 07-Sep-16 22:03:57

If your phone was booked in as undamaged and you have proof I would refer them back to that, ask them what they have done to damage your phone and what they are going to do to repair it.

00100001 Wed 07-Sep-16 22:04:47

Complain and said it was recorded as undamaged when it was booked in, so it must have happened whilst with Samsung

Don't mention any scratches.

TheGruffaloMother Wed 07-Sep-16 22:13:59

I'd debated claiming the phone was completely undamaged previously! But I've mentioned the crack to EE staff when we were trying to find ways to fix it without sending it off. Really wish I hadn't now angry but they asked so I explained it was tiny and had caused no issues.

TheGruffaloMother Wed 07-Sep-16 22:15:09

As in staff who I spoke to on the phone, not the people in store who saw it.

00100001 Thu 08-Sep-16 07:30:48

So, complain to someone different about it. They won't know it had a crack. Talk to a manager.

You shouldn't have to pay for their carelessness. Everything is on your side. Complaaaaaaaaaaain.

newmumwithquestions Thu 08-Sep-16 08:16:29

But the spiderweb crack wasn't there so complain complain complain about them having damaged it.
They may or may not have records of the conversation about the small crack/scratch you told them about - just be careful not to lie about it but you can just not mention it?

Arfarfanarf Thu 08-Sep-16 08:34:34

The paperwork says undamaged so undamaged it was.

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 08-Sep-16 08:38:42

Ofc you don't have to pay for their damage!

mostlyslowly Thu 08-Sep-16 08:48:20

As arfarf says, if the paperwork says it went in undamaged, it should be returned n that condition. Try not to be confrontational at first, but be assertive and note the time you spend in case you need to claim for it.

TheGruffaloMother Thu 08-Sep-16 08:54:17

Gearing myself up to complain today! I thought I might be BU, what with the lack of insurance and the existing crack. I figured I might have weakened the screen or something.

Does anyone know if a crack in a screen can actually cause slight (but very irritating) software malfunction? I'm a fairly tech savvy person but this really seems like a stretch with it being just one tiny bit of software malfunctioning.

c3pu Thu 08-Sep-16 09:00:53

There's no way a small crack in the glass would cause a software issue like you are describing.

Equally sending it off for repair won't fix a software issue either, they will just flash the phone with the factory software image which will almost certainly contain the same buggy app.

Can you disable the app?

Itrytoohard Thu 08-Sep-16 09:02:10

Complain today, don't pay for their damage and once they've repaired and returned it get insurance!!

woodhill Thu 08-Sep-16 09:03:34

Interesting about the battery drain thing. My Samsung phone had to be sent off for a new battery as it would suddenly go dead and turn off.

Hope it gets sorted out. Does this mean S7 is not a good buy?

Donthateprocreate Thu 08-Sep-16 09:03:51

Equally sending it off for repair won't fix a software issue either

No but they'll give the OP a new phone instead.

TheGruffaloMother Thu 08-Sep-16 09:08:20

Disabling the app does stop the issue c3pu but also limits functionality on the phone. It's Mediaserver that's causing the drain. It does it even with no media on the phone and no SD card mounted and after factory resets. Disabling it means I can take no pictures (or rather, they don't save) and lose any existing ones. It's a bit more than a frivolous inconvenience really because I take screen dumps of study materials if I want to jog my memory after reading something.

TheGruffaloMother Thu 08-Sep-16 09:12:25

It's a great phone Woodhill but I wouldn't get the Edge if I made the choice again. The curved screen gives precisely no benefit but I really do believe it's weaker that a normal screen. It has this thing where you can pull an 'Edge' menu in from the side but I disable it because it's just a gimmicky quick menu. Software wise, my research tells me that Mediaserver drain is an android issue rather than being S7 specific.

c3pu Fri 09-Sep-16 09:48:17

What version of Android are you on? 6.0.1 (Marshmallow)?

My Moto X is on 6.0.0 and doesn't have the issue, but Nougat (version 7) has just been released so with a bit of luck it may have squashed that bug... probably introduced a few new ones though!

TheGruffaloMother Fri 09-Sep-16 13:12:07

Can't double check as I don't have the phone smile if Marshmallow was current in April though, it'll be that one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now