AIBU to think some parents are a bit OTT regarding teachers?

(12 Posts)
LunaLoveg00d Wed 07-Sep-16 17:50:30

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3777531/Father-reports-primary-school-headteacher-police-assault-removed-six-year-old-daughter-s-earrings-without-permission.html

Sorry for link to classic DM sad face story, for those who do not wish to read, i'll precis.

Confusion over whether earrings are allowed at a certain school - one section of website says no jewellery, other section says small studs OK. Two sisters arrive at school with studs. Teacher not happy. One child reprimanded, other child has earrings removed by teacher (doesn't say if child was asked to remove them herself).

Parents send both children back next day with earrings. School says girls will go into isolation for defying dress code. Father outraged. Makes official complaint to school, and contacts Police to report the teacher and head for assault as they removed the child's earrings. Part of complaint is that staff are allowed earrings. Children now removed from school.

I mean really. Assault??? You couldn't pay me enough to be a teacher with this sort of parent around.

lastqueenofscotland Wed 07-Sep-16 17:55:50

Mil is a teacher, this doesn't surprise me at all sadly.

Selfimproved Wed 07-Sep-16 17:58:25

It's normal. Like that weird thread about a kid loosing their book bag and the mum wanting the school to pay. People take the puss with schools. It's sad but true.
Anyway, once the government have really fucked the NHS, uni funding and science research in the UK then I'm sure they will really hammer the schools. 10 years from now these same parents will look back on what we have with regret.

MoreCoffeeNow Wed 07-Sep-16 17:58:41

Pathetic prick

Seekingadvice123 Wed 07-Sep-16 17:58:49

The amusing thing is that they think by threatening to then removing a child from school it is somehow affecting the school. No it isn't. All it does is cause significant educational issues and generates a lot of unauthorised absences for the child and a possible court appearance if they continue to dig their heels in.

GeneralBobbit Wed 07-Sep-16 17:59:14

The teacher would only have removed them if the kid asked cos they couldn't do it

If the kid refused to take them out they'd have been sent to isolation/gated/heads office - no teacher would have touched a kid against its will to take earrings out

Dh is a teacher and there are many stories of crazy parents. One parent turned up drunk and offered dhs colleague a blow job in a school hall full of people. Everyone heard sad the poor kid

CaptainBrickbeard Wed 07-Sep-16 18:02:27

It really annoys me when people argue that if the staff can do it, so should the kids. Staff have a different dress code to pupils. Staff follow different rules to students. It's ridiculous to expect otherwise. They fulfil different roles in the school, they are there for different reasons. How do these parents think they are benefiting their children by behaving like this. What sort of behaviour are they modelling and how will they set up a positive relationship between the schools they attend and the children when they are treating school like the enemy and disregarding the rules?

LunaLoveg00d Wed 07-Sep-16 18:09:23

How do these parents think they are benefiting their children by behaving like this. What sort of behaviour are they modelling and how will they set up a positive relationship between the schools they attend and the children when they are treating school like the enemy and disregarding the rules?

I have only come across a few parents like this (i'm not a teacher, these are parents of my children's classmates) and the ones who are constantly on the attack and critical of school are the ones who did not have a happy school experience themselves. They don't think school particularly matters, so disregard the rules they don't fancy. Like someone I know who purposely took her 12 year old daughter out, bought her black skinny jeans for school when the dress code says "tailored trousers" and then was bitching and whining on FB when her daughter got detention.

Trifleorbust Wed 07-Sep-16 18:10:26

Bonkers. I follow my school
dress code as a teacher, which quite reasonably differentiates between me as an adult and children. I also have lots of responsibilities that the kids don't have - I have to get them out in the event of fire, for example, but I don't expect them to do the same for me grin

Rumpelstiltskin143 Wed 07-Sep-16 18:28:12

But if you read the article, and look at the screenshot, it clearly says in the school rules that watches and stud earring may be worn, so why did the Headteacher remove the child's studs?

LunaLoveg00d Wed 07-Sep-16 18:34:25

I understood that the rules had changed over the summer as the school had changed its status to an Academy. The people operating the academy said that all parents had been sent a letter telling them no jewellery. Someone obviously cocked up and didn't change the website.

MoreCoffeeNow Wed 07-Sep-16 19:17:46

He's withdrawn the DCs. I expect the school will be glad to se the back of him. Shame for the children, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now