To be sick of it...

(14 Posts)
MinonsMovie Wed 07-Sep-16 15:02:00

Ignorant people.
I smile and smile, try to make chit chat. Try to be blasé and uninterested... Some of the parents at school and park are just bloody rude.
I don't want to be best friends but how can people be so rude as to look through someone smiling at them?
I feel like there's something wrong with me!

mrschatty Wed 07-Sep-16 15:06:15

Do you live in the same town as me!
Where I'm from originally people smile say hello. If they find themselves in same situation eg mums at school gate or collecting kids from club a conversation develops.
Where I live now, different country within UK... people actively avoid eye contact or get embarrassed should you say hello. Makes me feel something is wrong with me!!

MinonsMovie Wed 07-Sep-16 15:14:34

I'm in a village - that's what makes it so so noticeable. These are people I recognise - to me, blanking them would be the rude thing for me to do.

But then I'm left feeling like I offered a high five and they left me hanging.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 07-Sep-16 15:31:58

You don't know what's going on in their life. I blanked someone completely yesterday. Only realised after they'd passed me.

Was trying to get medical/education stuff sorted out for DD and was completely stressed.

MinonsMovie Wed 07-Sep-16 15:39:59

MrsTerryPratchett I do know what you mean - but these are people who often stop and say hello to other people (maybe their friends, I don't know).
It's a pattern from them, not a one off blank. I feel like I'm invisible.

MinonsMovie Wed 07-Sep-16 15:43:54

I cried over this today. Then I realised I'd skipped lunch without realising, ate something and I've a bit more perspective. But it's still just so unusual to me.

blueturtle6 Wed 07-Sep-16 15:44:00

Don't let it stop you, don't let others change the way you are.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 07-Sep-16 15:49:24

Well that's miserable then. My mother deals with this kind of thing by being super passive aggressive super smiley. Really freaks people out!

MinonsMovie Wed 07-Sep-16 17:12:36

Thanks for the responses. It's reassuring in a way to know I'm not the only person who gets this sort of thing.

I don't know how they look at someone smiling at them and not return it. It's just alien. That's why I think they don't like me. If I ignore them ultimately I'd feel horrible like I'm being mean, even though they ignore me! I just can't stand it, it is so stupid to be annoyed by this kind of thing. I'm a grown up, I'm a mother for goodness sake!

gggrrrargh Wed 07-Sep-16 17:28:31

Keep being the nice smiley mum smile I like your way much better than being in the rushed disinterested parents group.

BillSykesDog Wed 07-Sep-16 17:37:07

Smiling and saying hello is fine. But people may not want to engage in chit chat for any number of reasons. I have PND at the moment and everybody wants to chat to me about my newborn twins and it's tough because I just don't feel up to it.

hesterton Wed 07-Sep-16 17:41:00

Some people are a bit one sided - they notice and even expect you to have an interest in them but don't reciprocate.

Just keep being you because you sound like the sort of person your village needs.

biggles50 Wed 07-Sep-16 18:59:56

Just keep smiling and being pleasant, don't be disheartened and let anyone spoil your day. Some are very wrapped up in their own thoughts. I had this when my kids were young, even going to a school function once and sat on my own (pre mobile phones) so tried to look engrossed in the contents of my handbag. Just be smiley, breezy and mysterious ☺

MinonsMovie Wed 07-Sep-16 19:23:15

Thank you. I will try, I know it's nuts to image they are doing it to get at me, but I'm having a less strong day.

BillSykesDog I'm sorry you are having a hard time with the PND at the moment. I can imagine that's very difficult and hope that you make a full recovery as quick as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now