Talk

Advanced search

8yo girls must wear shorts under skirts...

(341 Posts)
MyFirstMyLastMyEverythingBagel Wed 07-Sep-16 09:59:17

... In order to play on the bars in the school playground?!
My 8yo DD came home from school yesterday upset as she wasn't allowed to play on them - the teacher had said she needed to have shorts on as the boys would see her knickers.
I'm really upset by this, she is 8 years old and has a life time ahead of her to be worrying about modesty/body image without the school instilling it in her at 8. We've had a lovely summer, much of it spent splashing in the river / sea, DD totally in self aware in her knickers and a t shirt.
I'm actually pretty cross and plan to speak to the head about it, but want to know if iabu? How would you feel about it? My child is a child and I don't feel she should be made to feel self conscious about a brief knicker flash when she is playing.

Ttbb Fri 22-Sep-17 17:31:28

YABU-no one is supposed to flash their underwear in public child or not. It's also really gross not to have sonething between her pants and the outside world-at her age it wouldn't be surprising if she got dirt on them which I don't need to tell you is extremely unhygienic. However the school was VERY wrong in bringing bots into it at all. The rule is good but their explanation is beyond preposterous (secretly thanking my lucky stars that I was sent to a girls school-where we all wore Nike shorts under our dress btw).

pizzaparty11 Fri 22-Sep-17 17:24:23

ou can't have a situation where half the children are not allowed to use school equipment in school uniform. IF they want them in shorts then the uniform should be shorts

most primaries have the option of trousers for girls

blackteasplease Fri 22-Sep-17 16:57:37

You can't have a situation where half the children are not allowed to use school equipment in school uniform. IF they want them in shorts then the uniform should be shorts.

pizzaparty11 Fri 22-Sep-17 16:53:29

Thanks for your reply pizzaparty but I completely disagree with you for the myriad of reasons explained during the thread

Ok but I was actually replying to , you know, the OP- not you!!

GinDoll Fri 22-Sep-17 16:16:17

Thanks for your reply pizzaparty but I completely disagree with you for the myriad of reasons explained during the thread

pizzaparty11 Fri 22-Sep-17 16:14:54

Funny isn't it. Some people get all bent out of shape that someone might see their kids knickers...yet not a single worry when they're in their swimsuits.

swimsuits are made of thicker more opaque material and most of all designed to be seen!

GinDoll Fri 22-Sep-17 16:14:08

Just checked with 9 year old daughter at same school because this has never come up... apparently hashe always been an issue she just doesn't play on the apparatus you have to have covered knickers for 😠

Oh and sorry because I realise there was a more recent thread about this but this was the first that came up.

pizzaparty11 Fri 22-Sep-17 16:11:25

Underwear is for wearing under clothes it is not supposed to be on show. Schools have a dress code they are not informal pyjama parties! Lets gface it handing on the bars is not just a transient flash of knicker is it? If my co workers decided they wanted to hang upside down in the office I really wouldn't want to be confronted by their r underwear staring me in the face all day.I really wouldn't ! and I don't see why other children- boys or girls should either.It is not a sexual thing it is about upholding standards and decency..

GinDoll Fri 22-Sep-17 16:01:23

Hi everyone... I'm ashamed to admit I felt smug that my daughters school wasn't this stupid when I first read thisblush (but can you guess what's coming...) until today. It a really hot day and my seven year old daughter came out of school wearing tracksuit bottoms under her skirt sad apparently otherwise she wouldn't have been allowed on the apparatus. Am so disappointed with the school. How could they!!! Anyway am so tired today I don't have much fight but if anyone has written a complaint letter to their school and wouldn't mind me borrowing it I'd be so grateful. You lot are much more eloquent than me!!!!

FrancisCrawford Sun 11-Sep-16 12:55:38

The solution is not to make a fuss about nothing.

If a girl wishes to wear a skirt or a dress then she should not be required to wear shorts on top of her underwear.

End of.

A child is playing, her skirt rides up and there us a glimpse of her underwear. So what?

The argument about perverts is based on the false premise that they are only going to get a sexual thrill from seeing a pair of pants. What if they are turned on by thin cotton tshirts, are we then going to put our daughters into crop top bras before they start developing, or make them wear a cotton vast underneath in the hot days of summer?

A typical pair of young girls pants provides perfectly adequate coverage.

Kpo58 Sun 11-Sep-16 11:27:37

Surely the solution to all this is to make things equal and make boys run around in their underwear (no shorts or trousers) with an optional skirt as it's fine for the girls to be flashing their underwear.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Sun 11-Sep-16 11:12:56

Surely people who think this way must be aware that little boys know girls wear undies? I mean, they have mothers, possibly sisters, they can't have reached the age of eight without noticing that female people wear some kind of bum cover. Well, not unless they're growing up in some kind of weird, 19th century environment.

MypocketsarelikeNarnia Sun 11-Sep-16 09:16:32

But that's ok Mrs dv because they can then stay in the kitchen where they belong rather than walking around inciting men's lust with their disgusting pudendas.

MrsDeVere Sun 11-Sep-16 09:01:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

britneyscarpoolkaraoke Sun 11-Sep-16 08:45:27

Sorry haven't read the full thread so hope that this has already said somewhere but i have to disagree with people saying girls need shorts to protect them from others who might get a thrill out of seeing their pants. 1) we should deal with the others not the girls and 2) if we make seeing a girl's pants a forbidden thing for boys, aren't we likely to generate older boys / men who seek out this forbidden thing?

MypocketsarelikeNarnia Sun 11-Sep-16 08:04:42

Thanks sirfred - and I'm assuming that at the end of a two year taught masters in perviness (for which I will have to move to italy) they will give me the key to the secret magic shorts room? Otherwise I'm a bit busy now tbh...

CafeCremeEtCroissant Sun 11-Sep-16 05:53:59

Funny isn't it. Some people get all bent out of shape that someone might see their kids knickers...yet not a single worry when they're in their swimsuits.

I've always taken a very 'So what? They're knickers that cover your private bits, that's their job. Who cares who sees them?' approach.

squoosh Sun 11-Sep-16 02:30:21

Bearing in mind what DH saw I'm perfectly happy that her school want her to wear pair of gym shorts under her skirt.

Seriously??

If he was turned on by young girls doing cartwheels a pair of gym kickers would not have made one single jot of a difference. All these 'modesty pants' do is make parents think they're doing good work by thwarting some pervs. Whereas what you're actually doing is making girls feel ashamed of their bodies.

Well done.

seventhgonickname Sun 11-Sep-16 02:24:50

I remember the navy blue knickers and sorted shirts at primary school ,the only mortification felt was if the knickers has white bobbles on them.
Also in primary school swimming is a mixed activity so what is the difference that makes the coverage here different to that offered by knickers?I think it is a pity that girls are being restricted from healthy exercise by adults who should know better.

sirfredfredgeorge Sun 11-Sep-16 00:00:15

Looks like you have to go to Modena Mypockets which is a lovely part of the world, but not enough to draw my interest in the masters.

MypocketsarelikeNarnia Sat 10-Sep-16 23:48:25

Where do they conduct 'research into pervs' sirfred? Is that a new university discipline? <refrains from googling>

MypocketsarelikeNarnia Sat 10-Sep-16 23:46:15

I WANT MAGIC ANTI-PERV SHORTS.

In gingham if strictly necessary.

<sulks until someone pastes a link>

sirfredfredgeorge Sat 10-Sep-16 23:43:59

Does the research into "pervs" actually substantiate an interest solely in pre-pubescent girls underwear? I'd've imagined (and I'm not going to google this, no-one would believe the "research" defence!) that while it may be a fetish for some, it's unlikely to be the definining characteristic in all of it.

And to repeat again, don't punish the victims!

JellyBelli Sat 10-Sep-16 23:37:52

Why the hell don't we just put girls in shorts then? for the millionth time

MypocketsarelikeNarnia Sat 10-Sep-16 23:36:39

And again with the magic shorts.

Where do I get a pair of these?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »