Talk

Advanced search

8yo girls must wear shorts under skirts...

(341 Posts)
MyFirstMyLastMyEverythingBagel Wed 07-Sep-16 09:59:17

... In order to play on the bars in the school playground?!
My 8yo DD came home from school yesterday upset as she wasn't allowed to play on them - the teacher had said she needed to have shorts on as the boys would see her knickers.
I'm really upset by this, she is 8 years old and has a life time ahead of her to be worrying about modesty/body image without the school instilling it in her at 8. We've had a lovely summer, much of it spent splashing in the river / sea, DD totally in self aware in her knickers and a t shirt.
I'm actually pretty cross and plan to speak to the head about it, but want to know if iabu? How would you feel about it? My child is a child and I don't feel she should be made to feel self conscious about a brief knicker flash when she is playing.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 07-Sep-16 10:07:39

YANBU. Knickers are sufficient coverage for a prepubescent child.

If some little boys are behaving inappropriately around girls in the playground, then the head should be addressing that, not limiting the girls.

pleasemothermay1 Wed 07-Sep-16 10:09:52

I would remind the school were not in frigging Iran and knickers cover the lady well enough

No your not

ErrolTheDragon Wed 07-Sep-16 10:09:51

And to be clear, a little boy seeing a little girls knickers isn't inappropriate, but bullying/shaming behaviours would be.

Itrytoohard Wed 07-Sep-16 10:11:54

It was a rule when my 16 year old DD was at primary school too. If you wanted to do anything like hand stands, cartwheels, playing on the play equipment, you have to be wearing tights or shorts under your skirt or dress.

At primary school age I just don't think it's necessary.

BossWitch Wed 07-Sep-16 10:14:42

That is appalling. If the school thinks skirts are not suitable attire for all of the activities that they offer to ALL pupils in the course of the school day, they should not be uniform. This is telling girls that they have something to hide, that they have to modify their behaviour in light of any/all male gaze, that they are things to be looked at above all else. I'd be up there like a shot- and I'm a teacher, not inclined to pick random fights with schools. The more I think about this, the angrier I get. Christ on a fucking bike. 8!

MrsMook Wed 07-Sep-16 10:17:42

Are girls able to wear uniform shorts? That would be a more equal policy.

fieldfare Wed 07-Sep-16 10:18:44

I assume they let the boys wear regular school shorts?
Is this an option for the girls or have they got to wear skirts or summer dresses?
Knickers are perfectly adequate coverage for an 8 yr old girl. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. If there is an issue with boys teasing etc then that's what should be addressed, not the girls being made to feel immodest!

We got around a similar issue when dd was at primary by a new rule allowing girls to wear school shorts and regular assemblies covering positive body image and how we treat others etc.

Planty18 Wed 07-Sep-16 10:19:59

That is horrendous. Agree they should be looking at why this would be an issue at all. They're 8!

ninenicknames Wed 07-Sep-16 10:21:41

YANBU - totally stupid

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 07-Sep-16 10:22:00

You have the Kardashians splashed out everywhere in nothing but a bit plastic, yet children have to wear modesty shorts under their skirts.

I fail to see any logic in this.

LeifTheLucky Wed 07-Sep-16 10:26:28

My Dd is 5 and came home a while ago asking for shorts to go under her school summer dress because she didn't want anyone to see her knickers.
I did buy her some because she was really uncomfortable about it.

One of her friends was sad one day and told me that she wasn't allowed to do cartwheels or handstands at lunchtime because the lunchtime supervisor had told them they could only do it if they wear shorts! They are 5!

They are allowed to wear trousers though or uniform shorts if they want.

YelloDraw Wed 07-Sep-16 10:27:57

YANBU. Knickers are sufficient coverage for a prepubescent child.

^ This

budgiegirl Wed 07-Sep-16 10:31:18

I can remember when I was at primary school (many years ago) we did indoor PE lessons in our vest and knickers! How things have changed!

CafeCremeEtCroissant Wed 07-Sep-16 10:33:35

Me to BudgieGirl

I'd be telling to school to rethink this too & explaining to them why. Idiots.

EllieHandMeDownBaby Wed 07-Sep-16 10:33:35

YANBU
Utterly ridiculous and you're right to go and have words with the head.

I'm already getting annoyed that shorts aren't on the girls' summer school uniform list and my daughter isn't even at school yet! This type of thing really riles me.

gallicgirl Wed 07-Sep-16 10:35:39

I bet boys and girls all get changed for PE in the same classroom though.

JudyCoolibar Wed 07-Sep-16 10:35:50

This is discriminatory. Why should girls have to wear an extra layer of clothing under their uniform, particularly in hot weather, when they do not make boys do so?

If anyone sees a child's knickers, they will see not one jot more than they saw on the beach this summer with children and adults wearing swimming costumes. The school really needs to get over itself.

Omgkitties Wed 07-Sep-16 10:38:04

When I was in primary we wasn't allowed shorts under our clothes and no one cared if we was flashing our knickers while playing. Can't believe that's a rule now.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Wed 07-Sep-16 10:38:43

I was in the middle of writing school uniforms need to consist of shorts and trousers, and then stopped and thought about 4 yo DD who loves wearing skirts. I love wearing skirts. And if I agree that children should be wearing shorts/trousers then I am agreeing that there's something inappropriate about seeing an 8 year-old's pants. Gaah. <head explodes>

MoonfaceAndSilky Wed 07-Sep-16 10:40:03

Absolutely ridiculous.

Dogcatred Wed 07-Sep-16 10:42:17

It's really silly and unfair.
In some religions they have to wear long under wear - Mormons
At our local primary little girls come out every day with even heads covered - Muslims.

We need to fight very hard to preserve how things are here in the UK
So what if someone seems a girl's knickers?

We are getting far far too modest a culture these days.

trafalgargal Wed 07-Sep-16 10:43:11

Depends where the bars are, if they can be seen playing from the road then any passing adult can see them then I don't think it's unreasonable to protect them from the stares of any passing pervert.

I remember at primary school I wouldn't do handstands in the playground because I preferred not to flash my knickers at anyone walking past. I'd have happily done it if we'd had the option to wear shorts underneath. More hildren are just more modest than others and don't want to show off their own or see others knickers.

deathtoheadlice Wed 07-Sep-16 10:43:24

Our after school club has this rule and wouldn't let dd do gymnastics (at 7yo!!) without shorts. I didn't think it was a battle I'd end up winning. So, while I totally agree with all of you that it should NOT be necessary, I did end up buying dance shorts for 6£ (Debenhams). Easy, cheap, practical, and of course then they don't need the skirt/dress if they don't want it. Our school's uniform is just the shirt and they wear jeans / high st uniform / whatever skirts or trousers with it, so they can wear these if it's warm.

In your position, though, because you were told it was in case boys saw or did something, I'd talk to the school about challenging the default that girls should modify or reduce their (active and healthy) behaviour because of boys. It's offensive. Obviously.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 07-Sep-16 10:44:29

I also did PE in knickers and vest back in the 1970s.
Agree with pp - ridiculous.

myfavouritecolourispurple Wed 07-Sep-16 10:44:56

I would write to the school and say that in the 21st century it is not acceptable for rules to be set about what girls and women can wear. I have no issues with a uniform as long as there are no silly rules about girls not wearing trousers etc, but this is more than that.

If of course they let the boys wear skirts and ask them to wear shorts underneath, that's fine ;)

LunaLoveg00d Wed 07-Sep-16 10:45:10

We had this too before summer when doing cartwheels was the craze. One teaching assistant patrolling the playground and telling 6 year olds to put their gym shorts on. hmm Boys completely oblivious, playing football happily or running around chasing each other.

Blue4ever Wed 07-Sep-16 10:45:44

Speak to the school about it. If it's a uniform rule, then they should communicate it to all parents. And you don't have to follow the uniform rule in state schools.

If it's not a rule but the opinion of a midday assistant or a teacher, speak to the head about it.

In any case, you should make your opinion heard. What I don't agree with is that a member of staff said this to a child in front of other children, made her feel self conscious about what she is wearing. That bit is unacceptable too. The staff member should have sent you a note in book bag, but you do not stop a child to play because of a uniform issue.

MyFirstMyLastMyEverythingBagel Wed 07-Sep-16 10:45:56

Thank you all - I'm glad it's not just me.
For those asking, no girls can't wear uniform shorts anyway.
judy it was 27 degrees here yesterday, hardly the sort of weather where you need to have on two layers of clothing whilst running around playing!
Honestly I'm so cross, especially as the reason was stated to DD (boys will see your knickers) how dare that teacher put that thought into my 8 year old child's head. She just wants to play.

trafalgargal Wed 07-Sep-16 10:47:24

LDS (Mormon) children don't wear the garments its from puberty onwards (by which time most kids have outgrown random handstands in public anyway)

Body shaming and modesty are two entirely different things.

BaronessEllaSaturday Wed 07-Sep-16 10:47:32

TooExtraImmatureCheddar I'm with you, making girls wear shorts or trousers as the uniform is an easy answer but it is still the same thing forcing girls to wear something to prevent the boys from seeing their knickers rather than tackling the boys about their behaviour.

VioletBam Wed 07-Sep-16 10:48:30

Kick off about this OP. They are sexualising children AND they are victim blaming.

Making the girls wear double layers incase THE BOYS look at them!??

If they are that fucking bothered about it they can tell the boys they must NOT look.

Not the girls to change THEIR behaviour/outfits!!!

TheSparrowhawk Wed 07-Sep-16 10:51:16

I'd be absolutely steaming. Either the school provides a suitable uniform or they STFU about the current uniform! With all the hand wringing about children not getting enough exercise it is absolutely bonkers that a school is banning young girls from playing because of some ridiculous fear that a boy might see a pair of knickers!!

IloveAiredales Wed 07-Sep-16 10:51:22

It's fairly standard practice in my area, my daughters just put cotton cycling shorts under skirts/ dresses as standard as their school had this as a rule from reception up. They attended a strict catholic primary but I'm certain the community school had the same rules.

MLGs Wed 07-Sep-16 10:55:24

I would hit the roof, so you probably shouldn't listen to me, but go in and spell it out to them in a calm and sensible way that this is not acceptable.

For all the reasons PPs have said.

They are basically saying that girls can't use the monkey bars in the school uniform? Are they just for the boys then? (OK, I know they are saying they can use them in shorts, but this isn't part of the uniform).

Also it's sending out a terrible message that little girls' knickers are something to be ashamed of.

Any boys commenting, teasing, bullying etc (or any girls doing this to other girls) ought to be dealt with firmly and would be a good lesson that THIS behaviour is unacceptable.

AndNowItsSeven Wed 07-Sep-16 10:55:26

The issue is childrens genitalia should be covered, that is exactly the purpose of knickers ( or underpants). The school are being ridiculous.

WhoseBadgerIsThis Wed 07-Sep-16 10:55:30

Must admit I know nothing about this, but isn't it discrimination to not allow girls to wear shorts (ie instead of skirts) if the boys are allowed to wear them? I would be sending her to school in shorts (ie not skirt) from now on and telling them why

Brankolium Wed 07-Sep-16 11:00:29

Surely that means the school uniform isn't fit for purpose?

If the rule is that children can't expose their underwear then ALL children must have a suitable uniform that allows them to play without that happening, not for the poor girls to be policed at playtime and made to put gym shorts on.

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Wed 07-Sep-16 11:01:07

My dd chose themselves to wear shorts under their skirts. They are 9+10.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 07-Sep-16 11:02:02

Does the school require shorts over swimsuits for school swimming lessons too?

Hockeydude Wed 07-Sep-16 11:02:42

I wouldn't get into battle with the school over it personally.

WuTangFlan Wed 07-Sep-16 11:03:53

As someone else upthread said, at our school the kids all get changed in the same room for PE! How do the boys cope seeing the girls knickers then!! (And what exactly is supposed to happen if a boy sees the girls knickers? What about when they do swimming, last time I checked girls swimming costumes didn't come with shorts?!)

Thornyrose7 Wed 07-Sep-16 11:04:59

YANBU.
Makes me bloody furious. What a terrible message to send out to children.
Can you get together with other parents and send a formal complaint?

Caffeinator Wed 07-Sep-16 11:09:42

YANBU. VioletBam put it better than I could.

lawn Wed 07-Sep-16 11:11:53

YANBU. Others have articulated the reasons brilliantly, just wanted to add my support. I'd be LIVID.

trafalgargal Wed 07-Sep-16 11:12:49

I don't quite understand the argument "I did PE in my vest and knickers" My memory is of hating have to strip down to v&k for PE and it was discontinued because it was no longer deemed appropriate for children. Do the no shorts and flash your knickers with gusto brigade also think we should also go back to v&k for PE just because the Kardashians flash their underwear on TV?

LozzaChops Wed 07-Sep-16 11:13:37

This is outrageous.

Are any other parents there cross about this? Mobilise! I'm absolutely certain that I would have been a lot fitter and more active, probably less chronically shy as a kid (and probably consequently as an adult) if this sort of bullshit didn't happen, I can't believe they can still get away with it now. Personally I'd have been happier in trousers at school, but I know some girls prefer skirts. Why are they not given the choice?

Are their facilities accessible to all of their pupils regardless of gender? No. They have a problem.

confuugled1 Wed 07-Sep-16 11:14:40

Wrong in so many ways as people have already said - but can't believe that they have a rule that girls can't use the monkey bars or do handstands etc without wearing shorts under their skirts - but that they also won't allow them to wear uniform shorts as a thing. Talk about contradictory!

Would be going straight to the head along the lines of 'please can you explain to dd, I'm sure she just misunderstood, that obviously in this day and age no school is going to be so ridiculously out of touch and discriminatory etc etc as to demand that girls can't play on the monkey bars etc in their uniforms when the boys can, please can you make sure that the lunch ladies make sure that they don't stop them...' and then when/if the head says that they need to wear shorts under their skirts, as you've already said how crazy that is, you can just stand there saying 'really? Really really? But that's ridiculous - [insert all the arguments from this thread as to why]' and see what happens...

I'd also be very tempted to make sure that the argument got phrased so that if the head didn't agree with you then you restate it saying that by not agreeing with [your argument], that means you are discriminating against girls and not enabling them to play fully in the playground when they are wearing their correct uniform. Of course this might then lead to them readjusting the uniform to make girls always wear shorts under their skirts but at least then it's out in the open and easier to protest about!

sirfredfredgeorge Wed 07-Sep-16 11:15:47

The Equality act does suggest that difference in male/female clothing rules are possibly reasonable, so long as they don't unfairly burden one sex more than the other. The example given is a more expensive female uniform, but not being able to use the playground equipment seems equally as unfair.

I would say it quite clearly falls as discriminatory under the act.

TinyTear Wed 07-Sep-16 11:17:52

im afraid my daughter likes to wear shorts under her dresses and it might be my fault... she went through a stage of lifting her dress up everywhere, buses, trains, the high street and i just kept telling her to put the dress down and said "no one wants to see your knickers"

now she always wants shorts under the dresses, or (even better) just loves her two skorts...

but i would never have complained about visible knickers in a cartwheel... it was just while standing in a bus queue!

eyebrowsonfleek Wed 07-Sep-16 11:17:54

It's silly. Little girl knickers cover everything.
You can often see the top of boy's pants when they stretch or bend. I bet no school ever rules against that.

VestalVirgin Wed 07-Sep-16 11:19:06

This is obvious sexism.
If you have the energy, try to sue them for discrimination.

If you don't ... change schools?

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 07-Sep-16 11:19:18

Load of nonsense. What happens when someone decides there needs to be another pair of shorts to cover the shorts that cover the knickers?

Neo Victorian bullshit.

FrancisCrawford Wed 07-Sep-16 11:21:17

So what if they see her knickers?

A child is playing and there's a flash of her knickers - so what? It's perfectly normal.

The boys are not going to go blind.

If shorts are not part of the female school uniform then they cannot tell you she has to wear them. And if they persist, that is sexual discrimination because they are treating her differently because she is a girl.

As the school have said your daughter is to wear non school uniform, you could take them at their word.

Slarti Wed 07-Sep-16 11:23:12

she is 8 years old and has a life time ahead of her to be worrying about modesty/body image without the school instilling it in her at 8

Just to play devil's advocate, since she wears knickers you're already instilling modesty in her.

BeMorePanda Wed 07-Sep-16 11:26:45

My DD's usually wear stretchy shorts under their uniforms. I never thought of it as a modesty thing, but they spend so much time upside down, it just makes them feel more comfortable to do what they want to do without spending all this time effectively in just their underwear at school.

Boys can run, jump, play, sit cross legged on mat but as they wear shorts no one will see their pants or genitals or tease them for it. Why shouldn't girls feel as free and unrestricted?

And underwear does often gape around the crotch, leaving girls sitting crossed legged on the mat exposed. This doesn't happen to boys as they wear shorts of trousers.

I don't see it as a body shaming issue at all, but as a freedom to just "be" and play freely issue.

I wear dresses with just underwear underneath but I'm not spending half my lunch hour in a handstand or cartwheel - if I was I'd sure as fuck feel a lot more comfortable wearing shorts.

It would be lovely if the girls uniform included shorts. Once DD1 hit 7 she started to wear culottes or trousers most days anyway - they suit her activities.

But of course schools should not be making rules like this restricting girls movements and activities.

gillybeanz Wed 07-Sep-16 11:27:31

It's wrong that the girls can't wear shorts as uniform, this should be addressed.
My dd liked doing handstands, upside down on climbing frame, and many other things that maybe would show her knickers.

Luckily she was H.ed when she started her periods at 9, it would have been awful if she had been upside down on a climbing frame. I can see both sides tbh.

Hillfarmer Wed 07-Sep-16 11:34:22

Outrageous. YANBU.

We need to reclaim the word 'modest'. It is being hijacked and twisted to mean something else. There is nothing immodest about little girls doing cartwheels. The dirt is in the eye of those who would police it.

Agree with PPs. Pants serve the purpose of covering the genitals. Now they want something to cover up the cover-up. What next?

If someone at school stopped my 8 year old doing cartwheels in this way I would be incandescent.

Biglaugh Wed 07-Sep-16 11:34:58

BossWitch you are SO RIGHT.
How can we give girls the message that it is not their bodies that are 'to blame' if anything inappropriate happens to them but it is the person inflicting the abuse.
Girls who are raped whilst wearing short skirts are treated as if they are the criminals - rape is on the increase - study out this week. We have to STOP this culture.

Wadingthroughsoup Wed 07-Sep-16 11:39:36

YANBU. It's awful to impose adult ideas onto children in this way. If the girls don't mind and the boys are not behaving inappropriately about it, then it's fine. If the girls themselves want more coverage, they should be allowed to wear shorts.

MyFirstMyLastMyEverythingBagel Wed 07-Sep-16 11:40:18

Oh don't get me wrong - if others DD feel more comfortable with shorts on then that's fine.
The issue is my DD feels comfortable without them, and she should not have to be made to wear them. She's a child, they're knickers, so what.
And to the poster who said 'flashing knickers with gusto brigade' grow up. She's a child playing, her knickers may be visible for seconds, if that offends you I suggest you don't look. 🙄

MyDressIsInferiorBlue Wed 07-Sep-16 11:49:01

They need to either accept knickers are sufficient coverage for prepubescent children or they need to alter the uniform to trouser and shorts for all pupils and no skirts. They should not be making young children feel like they should be ashamed of someone seeing their pants.

Actually, what happens about changing for PE??? Don't they do what most primaries do and have boys and girls changing in the same room? Surely that's worse than a nicker flash whilst playing?

zzzzz Wed 07-Sep-16 11:51:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheLastRoseOfSummer Wed 07-Sep-16 11:52:14

I agree. If the boys have an issue with staring at the girls knickers, remove the boys. Don't limit the girls.

We need to stop blaming girls/women for boys'/men's behaviour.

whywonthedgehogssharethehedge Wed 07-Sep-16 11:53:38

Every time I see stuff like this I feel glad my kids are in a lovely school without stupid rules. Uniform is very simple, white polo tops, black or gray shorts, pants or skirts then navy cardigan or jumper. They sell logo jumpers/cardigans for £10 or you can wear a plain one. No wierd rules about shorts and trousers. DD has gone in today wearing trousers and a jumper and no one will bat an eyelid.

We were told that girls can wear cycling type shorts under skirts IF THEY WANTED (as some had asked to do so) but that they weren't compulsary.

I think some girls do get a bit embarrassed and prefer it which is fine but it shouldn't be compulsary. My DD would be embarrassed if she flashed her knickers playing but she prefers pants so it's a non issue, she just wears the pants instead.

Why should little girls spend the day with sweaty bits just because someone thinks a 2 second flash of pink knickers is terribly offensive?

Slarti Wed 07-Sep-16 11:53:54

The issue is my DD feels comfortable without them

Again playing devil's advocate but couldn't the same be said about knickers?

It's easy to say that our own degree of modesty is the correct one and anyone else is some sort of pervert (I'm not saying you specifically) but modesty is a highly subjective notion.

whywonthedgehogssharethehedge Wed 07-Sep-16 11:55:19

Actually, what happens about changing for PE??? Don't they do what most primaries do and have boys and girls changing in the same room? Surely that's worse than a nicker flash whilst playing?

Also this ^ ours don't separate them when changing for PE until they hit juniors as it's not feasible or practical for the infants who still need help and closer supervision.

Mummyoflittledragon Wed 07-Sep-16 11:55:23

There was a thread about this some time ago. Some teaches explained they didn't want to see flashes of genitala because of poorly fitting or too small knickers or poo/wee stained pants as the girls cartwheeled etc.

DD has to wear shorts underneath her skirts/dresses if she wants to be upside down. School policy. I was pretty incandescent when the policy was introduced. I've settled down now. However, she is allowed to wear knee length tailored shorts and I also think this is fairer than your dds school policy. She prefers to wear culottes. I found them in sainsburys and m&s... Could be a compromise.

User100 Wed 07-Sep-16 12:07:49

I just came on here to agree with previous posters. The only thing I was going to add was touch on on OPs last post and that is to the people saying "should we go back to making kids do PE in their pants" and "my daughter chooses to wear shorts under her skirt" - obviously if a child (or adult) woman (or man) wants to dress more modestly or feels uncomfortable showing their knickers they should be able to and the school should absolutely allow girls to wear shorts under or instead of their skirt if it means they can play more comfortably and without feeling self conscious but if they are happy playing in a skirt let them (for all the reasons already explained). Is personal choice such a confusing concept?

Yorkieheaven Wed 07-Sep-16 12:09:25

Wondering where this new 'modesty' bollocks is coming from.

My fear is its from religious crap creeping into our society and by definition all religions are mysogynistic and controlling of women. I think we need to take this very very seriously.

Meadows76 Wed 07-Sep-16 12:10:20

I actually think it's reasonable to teach our children that you don't flash your underwear. It's not so much body shaming as it is instilling a bit of decency in a world where all over the media people have everything out. My dd wears shorts under her dresses and she is 6. Not because I think she has to be ashamed of her knickers but because I think its ok to teach them to cover up, sit properly etc from an early age. Suddenly telling your daughters they have to not flash there pants just because they are spin the early staged of puberty is more likely to cause them to feel ashamed of their bodies. Teach it as the norm then it isn't an issue.

TheSparrowhawk Wed 07-Sep-16 12:12:37

Should we also teach boys to cover up Meadows?

Meadows76 Wed 07-Sep-16 12:15:09

Should we also teach boys to cover up Meadows?

I have yet to see a primary school boy with their underwear on show?? Surely the mere fact that they wear trousers or shorts over their underwear means that they ARE covered

FoxesSitOnBoxes Wed 07-Sep-16 12:15:29

What the fuck?!
So they've designed a uniform that restricts the activities that they will allow girls to do.
Boys can do handstands but girls can't in the uniform provided.
Wrong.
Also what is going to happen of someone sees their knickers?! If the sight of a class mate's knickers is causing sexualised behaviour in an 8 year old boy then the answer is to sort out what has gone wrong with that boy. Not make all the girls hide themselves
It's this sort of shit that means people think it's acceptable to blame rape victims because they had a short skirt on. It's exactly the same fucked up thought process angry

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 07-Sep-16 12:16:17

Madness. I can't imagine telling my daughter she has to wear shorts under her dresses.

MoonfaceAndSilky Wed 07-Sep-16 12:16:45

especially as the reason was stated to DD (boys will see your knickers) how dare that teacher put that thought into my 8 year old child's head. She just wants to play

As indeed do the boys - are they really that interested in seeing a girl's knickers or is it all in the minds of the adults? As pp said they get changed for P.E all together anyway so are likely to see a lot more than just knickers.

GobblersKnob Wed 07-Sep-16 12:17:40

This is unbelievable twattery of the highest order.

Underwear unacceptable to see, but swimming costume/bikini absolutely fine.

We are so fucked up as a society.

BaronessEllaSaturday Wed 07-Sep-16 12:18:54

Meadows the problem with that is that the knickers are the cover so now we are asking girls to cover the cover with modesty shorts, how long do you think it will take before girls are being asked to cover the modesty shorts because boys can see them?

MoonfaceAndSilky Wed 07-Sep-16 12:21:26

Wondering where this new 'modesty' bollocks is coming from.

My fear is its from religious crap creeping into our society and by definition all religions are mysogynistic and controlling of women

I believe you are right.

Knickers are there to protect the girls' modesty so no need to cover up the cover up hmm

monkeygone Wed 07-Sep-16 12:22:55

Absolutely ridiculous. This was never a rule at my school in the 90s, and nobody ever looked at girls knickers when they were on the monkey bars or doing handstands!

You know why? Because us boys all had much more interesting things to do, like playing British bulldog, or digging a hole with sticks.

monkeygone Wed 07-Sep-16 12:23:37

Knickers are there to protect the girls' modesty so no need to cover up the cover up

Exactly! How bizarre!!

TheSparrowhawk Wed 07-Sep-16 12:23:58

So Meadows surely the problem is that boys are given a uniform they can play in and girls aren't?

MyFirstMyLastMyEverythingBagel Wed 07-Sep-16 12:30:34

moonface absolutely. I should clarify that I'm also cross on behalf of the boys. They are all just children wanting to play and shouldn't be subjected to this nonsense. I have two boys myself and I am equally cross about 'boys will see your knickers' as a reason why girls had to have shorts under their skirts, from the perspective of a mother of boys. My two wouldn't bat an eyelid and that's the way it should be. If they did tease they would recieve very short thrift from me, my solution would not be to tell the girl to cover up!

Lottapianos Wed 07-Sep-16 12:32:44

'My fear is its from religious crap creeping into our society and by definition all religions are mysogynistic and controlling of women. I think we need to take this very very seriously'

Completely agree with all of this

Nigglenaggle Wed 07-Sep-16 12:36:00

www.womenshealthmag.com/life/teen-poet-rape-culture This girl sums up the wrong in this better than most adults. I'll warn you it's a tough watch, but reinforces how seriously wrong the school are.

KERALA1 Wed 07-Sep-16 12:36:18

Totally weird that they have to wear skirts but the consequences of their own rule means girls cannot play freely. My girls cartwheel mad so got job lot of culottes.

Also what's the difference between knickers and a gym leotard?

Yorkieheaven Wed 07-Sep-16 12:43:24

Well I would cause the biggest fucking stink possible with my the HT Governors, my MP and local press.

HateSummer Wed 07-Sep-16 12:46:39

At aged 7 my dd was telling me herself she wanted to wear shorts underneath her dress so she could play on the bars without worrying her knickers might get pulled about. So I can't get het up about this. All her friends wear shorts too and many girls wear leggings.

Lweji Wed 07-Sep-16 12:47:17

And there lies madness.

At this point, girls' uniform should be shorts or trousers, quite frankly.
Or boys should be allowed skirts too.

It's not something we see in the workplace anyway, and even teachers can dress in trousers or shorts if they like.

sashh Wed 07-Sep-16 12:47:51

If Serena Williams can flash her knickers whilst winning grand slam tournaments why can't an 8 year old girl?

What exactly will happen if a boy sees her knickers? That is what I'd be asking the school.

SirVixofVixHall Wed 07-Sep-16 12:48:11

Mad. It is a "thing" in America and seems to have crept in over here. How hot must it be to wear shorts under a Summer dress? My dd did say that a couple of the girls in her class wear shorts underneath their dresses/skirts, it had made her worried that she would somehow be doing something inappropriate if she was doing handstands etc without shorts, which made me most annoyed and sad. It isn't school policy though, as far as I am aware. They are all perfectly well covered and comfortable in pants. I talked to dd and explained that she had pants on, and was perfectly fine to play and climb , do cartwheels. It was horrible to see her suddenly worrying when she cartwheels around the beach in her pants all year.

RiverTam Wed 07-Sep-16 12:48:18

This is one thing that would make me go into school all guns blazing. I would be beyond furious.

Go OP!

MoonfaceAndSilky Wed 07-Sep-16 12:54:40

All her friends wear shorts too and many girls wear leggings.

Leggings? As well as a skirt? In this weather? Blimey they must be so hot and sticky confused

MyFirstMyLastMyEverythingBagel Wed 07-Sep-16 12:55:59

We ensure that children leave us understanding the importance of respect and are fully prepared for life in modern Britain

This is a quote from the schools website, I'm not quite sure how it applies in this case! Flipping hypocrites.

Thanks for the support, I'm pleased to know I'm not alone!

VioletBam Wed 07-Sep-16 13:04:38

Are you going to kick up a stinking fuss about this OP? I couldn't not. Our children need to know the difference between sensible and downright ridiculous and sexist.

My own DDs school has no uniform but at a parent and teacher meeting with all the parents, one person brought up the subject of girls in "tight leggings" which was thought to be "too distracting to the boys"

I wasn't slow to stand up and stamp THAT concern down.

MoonfaceAndSilky Wed 07-Sep-16 13:12:46

one person brought up the subject of girls in "tight leggings" which was thought to be "too distracting to the boys"

Omg! Do they think all boys are animals and can't help themselves?

MyFirstMyLastMyEverythingBagel Wed 07-Sep-16 13:15:03

It's really bloody offensive and rather sad sad

HateSummer Wed 07-Sep-16 13:21:40

I don't know Moonface. Ask them or their mums.

My dd is nearly 9 now and only wears shorts or trousers to school as she's "too big" for dresses and skirts.

MoonfaceAndSilky Wed 07-Sep-16 13:26:42

My dd is nearly 9 now and only wears shorts or trousers to school as she's "too big" for dresses and skirts

Ha, I remember my dd being the same. She is now 14 and back in very short skirts grin

Lweji Wed 07-Sep-16 13:31:40

Ofsted is nuts:

www.gov.uk/school-uniform

"Each school decides its uniform and must not discriminate based on gender, race, disability, sexual orientation or belief."
"Schools can decide if girls can wear trousers, or if religious dress is allowed. If you think your child is being discriminated against, talk to the head teacher."

How is a school deciding if girls can or can't wear trousers NOT discrimination?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »