To think tommee tippee products are a bit shit?

(115 Posts)
Summerholsdoingmyheadin Wed 07-Sep-16 09:52:38

After months of people raising concerns about the tommee tippee steamer blender being unsafe and asking for it to be recalled tommee tippee have finally issued a safety recall. People were finding the blades were chopping bits of plastic off the jug presenting a choking risk due to the plastic ending up in the baby's food. Tommee tippee spent months denying that this could happen and said it was only possible if it was assembled incorrectly. Tommee tippee have now admitted that bits of plastic can break off even when used correctly and have offered replacement jugs and blades with a new design to those affected (notice they didn't offer full refunds as an Automatic right).

Independent Research has also raised concerns about the safety of the perfect prep machine (due to water temperatures and the filtered water) but tommee tippee have failed to respond to those concerns.

Aibu to think tommee tippee products are a bit shit and until they properly address all the concerns they should not be allowed to make any more electrical products?

Amelie10 Wed 07-Sep-16 10:04:09

I have the electric sterilizer and I find it brilliant so I think Yabu.

j0j080 Wed 07-Sep-16 10:07:30

Not an electric product, but the hand breast pump is also utter shit, I chucked it after two attempts. I get plenty with other pumps but it just had no suction at all. It seems to be a common complaint for that pump.

imnotapotato Wed 07-Sep-16 10:11:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

imnotapotato Wed 07-Sep-16 10:11:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cococrumble Wed 07-Sep-16 10:13:29

Do you have a link for the prep machine findings? I've got one waiting for when DC1 arrives but didn't know there have been concerns about them.

Ackeeandsaltfish Wed 07-Sep-16 10:14:55

There was a feature on BBC radio 4 "You and Yours" a few weeks ago.

milkyface Wed 07-Sep-16 10:17:44

I love my Prep machine, it is without doubt the best thing I have bought.

Do find the bottles shit though.

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 07-Sep-16 10:19:11

Electric steriliser and perfect prep machine are brilliant imo. We only paid £25 for the steriliser though on offer. Please can you link the PP findings?

MrsMook Wed 07-Sep-16 10:21:27

I favoured hand expressing over my tommee tippee manual pump. I should have bought the medela for DS1 not waited for DS2.

The microwave steriliser kit was fine, but between struggling to express any milk and both DSs being bottle refusers, it had rather light use. Expressing worked for my comfort not theirs!

Summerholsdoingmyheadin Wed 07-Sep-16 10:24:52

I read the research about the perfect prep on a thread on here where somebody linked to the research. I don't know what the research was but this article discusses it a little
www.firststepsnutrition.org/pdfs/Statement_on_making_up_formula%20safely_Mar_2015_final.pdf

I know tommee tippee issue a statement in that article but given that they issued many statements about the blender being safe and many months later admitting it is unsafe I just don't trust them.

DisneyMillie Wed 07-Sep-16 10:40:03

There were notices up in the maternity ward of my local hospital warning they didn't consider the perfect prep a safe way of making bottles.

Stevefromstevenage Wed 07-Sep-16 10:44:50

The perfect prep is definitely starting to have a cloud over its use but without a doubt if the design could be tweaked it is a fantastic idea. I had a Tommy Tippee manual pump which came with a small bottle and a sterilising tub. It was a knock down bargain basement price and the best baby thing I ever bought. I used to throw in my hand bag in work or on a boozy night out in a ziplock bag and express for comfort and mostly dump--so I did not explode-- loved that pump.

Oysterbabe Wed 07-Sep-16 10:46:48

I had a rubber tommee tippee bib and it stained on the first use and looks like shit. Threw it in the bin.

Summerholsdoingmyheadin Wed 07-Sep-16 10:50:15

See I can handle a stained bib because baby food stains all sorts of stuff and a stain doesn't equal unsafe, but the blender problems and possibly the perfect prep could lead to health emergencies for babies and I am really disappointed that tommee tippee have been so lacsidasical about properly addressing the concerns.

HateSummer Wed 07-Sep-16 10:52:11

Yabu. You shouldn't even be sterilising in the first place.

Tommee tippee close to nature bottles are the best.

Bubblebloodypop Wed 07-Sep-16 10:54:25

Hate why shouldn't we sterilise?

Summerholsdoingmyheadin Wed 07-Sep-16 10:56:14

whats sterilising got to do with it hate? Neither the blender nor perfect prep are sterilising machines?

TeaBelle Wed 07-Sep-16 11:00:23

Yanbu - there is no way that the pp is safe. I cringe when I see people raving about them. Germ factories

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 07-Sep-16 11:04:27

Why should we sterilise?

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 07-Sep-16 11:04:34

Shouldn't *

buckyou Wed 07-Sep-16 11:07:16

TT products Ive had have been a bit shit. Breast pump was a total piece of poo and why are the bottles insanely expensive!? Not a fan.

Caffeinator Wed 07-Sep-16 11:11:56

Another here agreeing that the manual breast pump is rubbish.

1LittleOne1 Wed 07-Sep-16 11:13:38

I find all kitchen appliances like that to be a little shit to be fair. It's rare to find something like that well made anymore, or dodgy plastic things that break/malfunction easily.

Perfect prep I always wanted, DH told me I was being lazy, in truth I was so I never got one haha.

I use all their bottles, dummies and sippy cups and find them to be fantastic, daughter rejected most of the others, but that's just taste.

I had the tommee tippee steriliser and a munchkin one, both performed about the same.

Hate Why shouldn't we sterilise (although I am past that age now) I have a feeling you may not be UK based where it is pretty much common knowledge that you do up until a year old.. but who knows.

1LittleOne1 Wed 07-Sep-16 11:14:49

Oh yes i had the breast pump too, it was amazing for a week and then leaked and dribbled and I gave up, couldn't afford another so that was really the beginning of the end of breast milk for my DD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now