Talk

Advanced search

Am I being an unreasonable mum?

(12 Posts)
Laurensr Wed 07-Sep-16 08:59:55

Probs not the right place for this one but didn't know where else to put it.

My little one has always been a good sleeper, slept through the night at 6 weeks old, now, at 19 months she would normally sleep through 7-8 but not this week, this morning she was up at 4!! She's changed, she use to be such a happy baby, but now she's throwing tantrums all the time, screaming if she doesn't get her own way, slaps me kicks me, I tell her off but she literally laughs in my face, how do you guys tell your little ones off that's effective? Feel like I'm failing her as her mum. Advice please

imwithspud Wed 07-Sep-16 09:21:47

It's hard but don't rise to it. Tell her off/remove her from the situation but don't react to any laughing. Same with Tantrums, ensure she's safe and let her get on with it. Any attempt to stop it will probably prolong the tantrum.

You're not failing, your little one is changing and it can be a shock sometimes when they suddenly switch over night.

Creativemode Wed 07-Sep-16 09:28:23

I found at that age ignoring was the best thing.

So if she hits you a firm 'no' and tell her it hurts mummy then putting her down not engaging with it. Being really positive when she's behaving.

Ultimately though toddlers are hard work and a nightmare ime. They're learning to express themselves and find their way.

Creativemode Wed 07-Sep-16 09:28:47

I found at that age ignoring was the best thing.

So if she hits you a firm 'no' and tell her it hurts mummy then putting her down not engaging with it. Being really positive when she's behaving.

Ultimately though toddlers are hard work and a nightmare ime. They're learning to express themselves and find their way.

Creativemode Wed 07-Sep-16 09:31:39

With regards to the early waking that's a tough one.

Perhaps you could try lying her back down and saying it's not morning yet. Would she play quietly in the cot? People say gro clocks are good, never used one myself.

The darker mornings that will be coming soon might help.

dowhatnow Wed 07-Sep-16 09:38:00

Yep say no, we don't do that, then ignore them until the behaviour stops. Then carry on as if nothing had happened. If they are not safe then remove them to a safe place first but don't engage.

AdjustableWench Wed 07-Sep-16 10:10:49

I found that ignoring worked. You have to be consistent, and it takes a little while for the child to get the hang of it (days rather than weeks), but it's usually very effective. And yes, lots of praise for everything they do that's good.

OrsonWellsHat Wed 07-Sep-16 10:16:44

Welcome to the insane toddler phase, and it is exactly that, a phase. You're not a shit mum, her behaviour isn't that unusual.
Ignore the bad and big praise for the good behaviour. It will pass flowers

Laurensr Wed 07-Sep-16 11:22:44

Thank you for your replies, so reassuring to know that it's a phase and I'm not raising Saturn 😂

SaucyJack Wed 07-Sep-16 11:25:45

You're not failing her; she's a 1 year old. It's what they do.

It's not a developmental stage known for reason and empathy.

This too will pass.

Oysterbabe Wed 07-Sep-16 11:27:11

Pretty sure there's a sleep regression at 18 months.

Dinah85 Wed 07-Sep-16 18:46:53

It's completely normal. They start to explore their boundaries, make it clear where those boundaries are and they feel more secure in their worlds and the tantrum phase passes quicker (but still expect a few months). Little people feel very big emotions so they need lots of comfort because it's a scary feeling for them to be dealing with even if we just see it as naughty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now