Talk

Advanced search

Why is it so hard to tax a vehicle ?

(34 Posts)
ShiroiKoibito Tue 06-Sep-16 21:01:57

I bought a new vehicle this week, and want to tax it so I can actually use it! but while i have the V5C/2 the numbers on it dont work on the website

I can do a check to see if it is taxed (no its not) and get all the details from their website, but no - i cant fucking tax it!

(the paperwork will come through at some point)

ShiroiKoibito Tue 06-Sep-16 21:03:06

Taxing a vehicle
Vehicle details could not be found
Sorry, we cannot find your vehicle details. This means you cannot proceed with your vehicle tax or SORN application.

Your vehicle registration mark or reference number has not been recognised.
This may be because:
You may have entered the details incorrectly - please try again.

The 16-digit reference number on your V11 reminder form is valid from the 5th of the month in which your current vehicle tax expires until the end of the following month.
If you are trying to use this service too early then please try again from the 5th of the month.
If you are trying to use this service too late then please use your V5C Registration Certificate (Log Book) or visit a Post Office® branch that deals with vehicle tax.

honeysucklejasmine Tue 06-Sep-16 21:04:27

Can you ring in?

Palomb Tue 06-Sep-16 21:04:34

How did you get it home if it isn't taxed?

ShiroiKoibito Tue 06-Sep-16 21:09:19

i brought it home in a van - its a bike

i dont have ANY 12 digit codes on the V5C/2 - i dont live near a post office, grrrrr

Cococrumble Tue 06-Sep-16 21:12:20

Ring the call centre and they can do it over the phone

ShiroiKoibito Tue 06-Sep-16 21:13:30

thanks - i'll do that (still grumpy but i want to do it online!!)

Yambabe Tue 06-Sep-16 21:19:00

The code is the document ref number, it should be just under the boxes that you write your details as new keeper in.

ShiroiKoibito Tue 06-Sep-16 21:34:34

my doc ref number is in the following format
XXXX XXX XXXX XX XX XX (11 digits and something that could be a date)

then i have a despatch code
XXXXXXXXXX/XXXX XX

Flossyfloof Tue 06-Sep-16 21:38:27

I went to tax my car last week because I couldn't do it online. Was told by man in P O in the next village ( as they don't do it in our P O) that it was already taxed. I knew jolly well it wasn't.
I did, in the end , do it online - had t hunt out the logbook which, of course, is not a book at all but a certificate. So helpful.
I tried to phone as well but I couldn't proceed as I couldn't find the info they wanted.

Yambabe Tue 06-Sep-16 21:40:52

That's really strange. We have a few vehicles here (cars and bikes) so I've just checked randomly and all our ref numbers are in the format XXXXX XXX XXXX (I think the date bit is a red herring).

Looks like you a re missing a number from the first bit - it your V5C/2 crumpled, torn or otherwise knackered?

rosesarered9 Tue 06-Sep-16 21:43:23

Is there a post office you could walk to tomorrow morning?

rosesarered9 Tue 06-Sep-16 21:44:00

Oops.... didn't read your other post!

ShiroiKoibito Wed 07-Sep-16 06:56:15

the paper isn't bent or anything, just weird

I'll call today (or tomorrow depending on time) and come back

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 07-Sep-16 06:58:26

Dodgy ref number then?

Is the bike very old?

ShiroiKoibito Wed 07-Sep-16 10:26:24

bike is 2001 - have phoned up, 2 goes on the automated line which asked for the 12 digit number, so no good

rang 0300 790 6802 (no options chosen as advised on another website) and spoke to a person, and they said the V5C/2 was an old one and i would need to go to the sodding post office

wasonthelist Wed 07-Sep-16 11:01:01

Try adding a zero to the end (or start) of the 11 digit doc ref on the online form. When I got current car the previous owner only gave me half of the v5c - not the green bit with the new owner stuff, but adding a zero (can't recall if it was start or end) made the online form accept and tax it

wasonthelist Wed 07-Sep-16 11:02:32

Btw the DVLA doesn't care if it's already taxed - if it is, they get two months, one from old owner and one from new, this has been the case since the paper discs were dropped

ShiroiKoibito Wed 07-Sep-16 15:10:00

nope 0s didnt work

what are they trying to stop? someone stealth taxing my bike? seriously why do we need the 12 digit code, the vehicle can be recognised by the registration number!

whiteblankpage Wed 07-Sep-16 15:21:13

Sorry, at the moment new keepers aren't able to tax their cars online - it has to be at a post office. Once your logbook comes back with your details on it, you'll get automated reminders that are fine to do online.

hellsbellsmelons Wed 07-Sep-16 16:18:52

at the moment new keepers aren't able to tax their cars online
I wonder why?
I've taxed 3 new cars recently and all the day I got them and all on-line.
Why would they stop that?
Must be something but can't imagine what?

19lottie82 Wed 07-Sep-16 16:23:01

I bought a new (second hand) car a couple of weeks ago and had this problem. My car is a 2009 model and has an "old style" V9, which was blue on the front page.

When I entered the new keeper number online, it was a digit short..... So I couldn't tax it. I tried adding a zero at the end / start, but it didn't work.

I took the new keepers slip to the post office and taxed it over he counter.

ShiroiKoibito Wed 07-Sep-16 17:23:26

why on earth do they make it so complicated, i dont live near a post office, i work 9-530 (like a lot of people) I dont want to break the law, so now have wait until i can use my own sodding property as its not legal

rosesarered9 Thu 08-Sep-16 17:11:19

computer says no
(Little Britain)

UmbongoUnchained Thu 08-Sep-16 17:14:58

I've taxed 2 cars in the past month online with a new keepers slip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now