Talk

Advanced search

To not want to return to work after this?

(23 Posts)
Blackfellpony Tue 06-Sep-16 17:46:32

I have name changed to post as I don't want anyone from work realising its me blush

I had a baby and have been on maternity leave, due to return next month but on reduced hours (30 instead of 39)

Previous to leaving I was well respected and managed a team of 10 or so unqualified members of staff, I was the most qualified prior to leaving.
I have been in the job for the past 11 years, and am the most senior member of staff bar management and previously trained or assisted in training all 10 staff members below me.

While I was on leave a new HR type manager was appointed as mine left.

A new job was created, a supervisor position which previously didn't exist but I had been doing. I was doing it as previous boss asked and expected me too.
Naturally I applied, however didn't get the position over 2 of the staff members I trained only last year. Both have been with the company less time, have less qualification and have 0 managerial experience.

Apparently it was a mixture of reasons, not that I had given a bad interview. A mixture of timing, amount of work needed to be put in and a number of excuses...none of which related to my work or experience etc hmm
The new manager wants the new staff to take on lots of extra responsibility and they will be paid higher than myself.

I really don't want to go back now as I feel really embarrassed that I have been demoted (even though I wasn't titled in the first place) and its really annoying me that less senior members of staff have been given my job while I was away angry

I'm not sure what to do now, I don't want to come across as a sore looser (which I am!) but I also don't want to return to work as it's annoying me so much!

user1473106504 Tue 06-Sep-16 17:50:49

Carrying on working there but look for something else where you will feel more comfortable and happy

backtowork2015 Tue 06-Sep-16 17:53:39

Do you suspect that it's because you're on maternity leave and you're a parent? If so you could have tribunal grounds for discrimination as they are 'protected characteristics'. Have a Google about equality legislation. It's not too difficult to bring a claim if you feel you apply

Blackfellpony Tue 06-Sep-16 18:02:18

Thanks to both of you.

I asked if it was to do with having baby but new manager was very careful to make sure not to see anything relating to baby in her reasoning.
The reasons did feel like excuses and made no sense. She does not know me and we had never met prior to interview.

I am wary of trying to bring a case though as I will have to work with them for the time being and it will be very uncomfortable!
She has not agreed my part time hours in writing yet and I'm scared she will refuse them if I cause trouble for her.

I would love to find another job easily, however I work in a limited field and jobs are hard to come by- part time ones even more so!

Wellywife Tue 06-Sep-16 18:06:19

Were you officially managing the team, or were you all technically the same grade, but you had a lot more experience? When you trained the other members of the team did you run a training course or was it basically showing them what to do?

Where I last worked one of our team had been doing the job for 20 years. She was the one we went to for help with specific day to day problems but we all had the same job title. However, more than one person has been promoted over the years as they have the right attributes for the next role up, and she doesn't.

It sounds harsh but you might be very good at your current job but not have what it takes to get onto the management path.

Lilaclily Tue 06-Sep-16 18:09:28

The interviews are probably on a points based system , it doesn't matter what has gone before its how you perform in the interview, it's awful but loads of places do it
If she's never met you and doesn't know you then she'll have gone with the person who performed the best at the interview
Was a HR person present?

idontlikealdi Tue 06-Sep-16 18:11:21

Could you do the job in 30 hours? I'm guessing that's their business case.

Personally I'd suck it up and look for something else but from experience 30 hour a week roles are hard to come by.

MumUndone Tue 06-Sep-16 18:15:48

As Welly says, were you the official line manager of these 10 unqualified staff whom you trained? Were you responsible for allocating work, approving annual leave, conducting performance reviews etc? Did you have a different job description to them?

If so, it seems odd that you haven't been given the new role. Perhaps if you've already submitted your request for part time hours, it's because they don't feel the new role can be done on a part time basis...

Blackfellpony Tue 06-Sep-16 18:35:14

I had submitted the part time request previous to interview.

Previously I was an unofficial supervisor. Ie allocated who would do what that day, ensured work was done to correct standard, made decisions when manager was off etc.
My contract however has not been renewed in 10 years!

The changes to structure have happened while I was on maternity.

I was the only staff member with additional qualification to train staff. Without being too outing it's an academic role and staff needed help with studying as well as practical work. I have a qualification to 'teach' this.

It very possible I wasn't the best interview however I feel going back that people will be looking at me with a hmm face wondering why they chose someone hardly qualified over myself. It's sort of undermined me in every sense?

ImperialBlether Tue 06-Sep-16 18:37:57

Is it a job that could be done part-time?

Oly5 Tue 06-Sep-16 18:39:54

OP, go back and hold
Your head up high but then look for something else. It's easier to find a job if you have one already. But go back

Blackfellpony Tue 06-Sep-16 18:41:29

It would require more work, however im not sure if it could be done part time as its never previously been a position?
I'm not sure 100% what sort of 'extra work' would be required. They have not been specific as to what it is yet!

Regardless I think I could do whatever it is they are asking given the chance!

Nightstalker Tue 06-Sep-16 18:49:40

It is definitely a problem with your hours. It would be very hard to do a supervisor role whilst on only 30 hours

Go back but prioritise your baby. Come in on time, go home on the dot. Do not do more than your contract says. Get all the training you can out of them and then look for another job.

backtowork2015 Tue 06-Sep-16 21:01:41

You are also allowed to request your interview notes, your interview score and where you placed. I believe you can get some unofficial equality advice via the government before deciding to make a claim so you find out your chances of succeeding. I'm not doubting it's a daunting prospect though

RunningLulu Tue 06-Sep-16 21:10:59

Definite grounds for tribunal. This is exactly the type of scenario that would get people a payout, as they have given people with less experience the job & not given you a clear reason why you didn't get it. Raise a grievance, make it clear you'll escalate, and cause a stink.

Headofthehive55 Tue 06-Sep-16 21:14:49

It's difficult isn't it without making trouble for yourself. I was recently turned down for a promotion and in the feedback she said she didn't think it was my time yet as I still had young kids.

its rubbish.

Evergreen17 Tue 06-Sep-16 21:15:58

Pretty sure that is illegal in the UK headofthehive

Headofthehive55 Tue 06-Sep-16 21:16:41

Oh and I have more relevant experience and relevant qualifications. Sometimes you are better going elsewhere, where you are valued.

Headofthehive55 Tue 06-Sep-16 21:17:48

Yes I am sure it is.

BruceBogtrotter101 Tue 06-Sep-16 21:19:28

I 100 percent agree with BigTrouble. Do only your contracted hours. Do not get involved in anything supervisory or at a higher level than you are being paid for, and enjoy your reduced hours. If you still feel the same way in a few months then start looking around for something else.

suchafuss Tue 06-Sep-16 21:45:02

I was made redundant shortly after returning to work following a major operation. I asked for a copy of notes and it turned out i had more points than the others yet I was the one been let go.
However because I had a disability i got them for discrimination, nice pay out and walked straight into another job. Ask for the notes as others suggest!

edwinbear Tue 06-Sep-16 22:21:11

I made a complaint about my bonus being withheld earlier this year because I work PT. HR upheld this, paid my bonus and apologised. Last week I was called into an office and made redundant despite being one of the top performers. Whilst it's all undoubtedly illegal, employers rely on the expense, stress and time that tribunals take to get away with this sort of behaviour. I'd think long and hard about whether you want to make an issue of it or sit tight, find something else and then leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now