Talk

Advanced search

to cancel hair appointment for DS?

(16 Posts)
ToxicLadybird Tue 06-Sep-16 16:40:01

3 year old DS's hair is in need of a cut as it's getting rather long. What with one thing and another it's taken ages to get an appointment. So today I had to put a bobble in to keep it out of his eyes. It's on the top of his head and looks like a palm tree. I've never seen him look so happy, he absolutely loves it and keeps running to the mirror to inspect it and is telling everyone that he looks like 'a beautiful, like a princess'.

WIBU to cast aside gender expectations and let him keep it or am I setting him up for ridicule?

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 06-Sep-16 16:42:59

These days a lot of footballers and hipster type blokes have man buns and whatnot tied up with a bobble.

HallowedMimic Tue 06-Sep-16 16:43:45

Loads of boys have long hair and ponytails.

Some schools stipulate above the collar hair cuts for boys, but it's becoming less common, and you can choose not to apply to them anyway.

rosesarered9 Tue 06-Sep-16 16:45:02

YANBU A lot of men have ponytails these days. It's not that unusual.

ToxicLadybird Tue 06-Sep-16 16:46:49

I'm not in the UK so school rules won't apply thankfully.

WhooooAmI24601 Tue 06-Sep-16 16:49:07

DS2's best friend has long hair. No big deal, but he does look all hot and bothered on warm days.

The only reason I'd push for short hair is because both DCs here do sports every day and sweat like pigmonkeys. If they didn't I'd be ok with it.

rosesarered9 Tue 06-Sep-16 16:50:23

Depending on where you live cultural norms may not be the same. Do you live in a very progressive country (Germany, Norway, Sweden etc)?

rosesarered9 Tue 06-Sep-16 16:56:50

bump But don't let anyone tell you what to do - his hair, his decision.

ToxicLadybird Tue 06-Sep-16 17:40:00

I live in Sweden. I'm beginning to realise that struggle isn't with the outside world but within myself. I grew up in a bullying mysoginistic household. My family, who I'm now nc with, are the ones who'd be ruthlessly taking the piss (bitter experience). I guess I'm looking here for an infusion of confidence to help me overcome a lifetime of conditioning which I hate.

phillipp Tue 06-Sep-16 17:51:24

Yes its definitely your own perception. Loads of boys/men have long hair now. It's not unusual at all.

I have a couple a male acquaintances who are Swedish. They have long hair.

Applejack29 Tue 06-Sep-16 17:56:46

I (female) have a 'long bob' and my DP has hair much longer than mine which he wears in a low ponytail or all down. He likes it. I like it. If your DS is happy then leave it! smile

wornoutboots Tue 06-Sep-16 18:12:54

I'm very biased - my boys (aged 6 and 3) have never had their hair cut.

they have it tied up for school and nursery - for practical reasons (never know when they're going to be doing something messy and not want it to land in it!).

let it grow!

RoystonVaseySmegHead Tue 06-Sep-16 19:29:07

Ask what he wants? If he says he wants it long then leave it long but I'd be paranoid about headlice when he goes to school... Horrible little things

phillipp Tue 06-Sep-16 20:11:31

Both my kids had nuts. Dd had long hair. Ds had fairly short hair.

The both only had them and once. With dds hair I made sure it was tied up and sprayed with tea tree oil in water. With ds' I just sprayed it on and left it.

The OP might just have to tie it back for school.

SpookyPotato Tue 06-Sep-16 21:13:03

Sounds so cute OP! We are a family of long haireds grin When it's hot I tie 2 yr old DSs hair up but not ventured outside like that yet.. as even with it down he is constantly referred to as a girl. I wish more boys had long hair where we live so he didn't stand out as much..

ToxicLadybird Wed 07-Sep-16 07:35:58

Well I've just done it. Appointment cancelled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now