To only buy a present for one of the birthday girls

(41 Posts)
WeirdButTrue Tue 06-Sep-16 14:50:40

Some MN wisdom required please as this must be quite a common situation. Dd has been invited to her close friend's bday party. The friend is having a joint do with another girl, who my DD knows but isn't really friends with. Different class at school, don't play together at break and have never had out of school play dates etc. I'm fairly sure if this girl were having a solo party my DD wouldn't be invited for these reasons.

So, my thinking is that I only buy a gift for DDs friend, and maybe a card for the other Bday girl. DH things that's unreasonable and I should get gifts for both girls. So is there any etiquette on this? AIBU?

Mummyshortlegz Tue 06-Sep-16 14:52:25

Yes I only buy for the child who's birthday we have been invited.

LugsTheDog Tue 06-Sep-16 14:52:35

Fine to buy for just one. But I'd check what others in the same situation are doing tbh.

Soubriquet Tue 06-Sep-16 14:53:14

Hmmmm

I would buy a present for the friend and a card for the other girl too.

But you'll probably get people with your dh's PoV arrive shortly

CaptainCrunch Tue 06-Sep-16 14:53:43

Perfectly reasonable, that's what I always did.

imwornout Tue 06-Sep-16 14:53:56

Could you maybe buy a small something for the other girl? Even a bag of sweets and a card?

RebootYourEngine Tue 06-Sep-16 14:54:16

If both girls names are on the invitation i think i would buy both.

So if the invitd says x and y invite you to our party then id buy both.

If the invite says x would like to invite you to a party id buy just that girl.

MrsSparkles Tue 06-Sep-16 14:54:36

Yup. DD had a joint party with her friend, lots of the same friends - but some different. We didn't get presents or cards from people we didn't really know.

HallowedMimic Tue 06-Sep-16 14:54:43

We've always only bought gifts for the child who invited ours.

Joint parties are usually a matter of convenience for the parents. There are generally still separate guest lists and friendship groups.

There is no need to buy a gift for the other half of the party unless you know them well and would be on their list too (that normally only happens in the case of cousins/twins etc.).

SoftSheen Tue 06-Sep-16 14:57:25

I would buy a card and a token present for the second girl.

CaptainCrunch Tue 06-Sep-16 14:58:55

Put it this way, your DD won't get 2 party bags. It's a convenient arrangement for the hosts, no one expects presents from the other guest list.

drspouse Tue 06-Sep-16 14:59:25

If X's name is on the invitation but not Y, they will probably have two tables for gifts and nobody will notice if you don't put a gift on Y's table.
However if you put on a card and no gift they may get confused when making notes as to which card/gift are from who given that gift tags come off gifts so easily. And then may ask you what you gave... So maybe best not to give a card either!

wigglesrock Tue 06-Sep-16 15:02:12

We've only ever bought for the child that our child is in the class with/ the one they know. My kids have been to a few joint parties, it's been for handiness sake for the parents - there's never been an issue with just bringing one gift, friends do the same and if anyone has talked about us - I haven't heard grin

WeirdButTrue Tue 06-Sep-16 15:03:33

Ah thanks all, glad to know your views. This party thing is a minefield and because I work, which makes me a v rare breed of mum at DDs school, I don't get chance to sort of put out the feelers of what's the done thing

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 06-Sep-16 15:06:17

If the party invite is from both girls then I would buy for both girls.

Goingtobeawesome Tue 06-Sep-16 15:20:12

Only been to one joint party for three children. Requested we only send one gift if we wanted to send any then at the end the presents were shared out. Perfect.

Careforadrink Tue 06-Sep-16 15:42:27

If it's a joint party I always buy for both unless the invitation specifies.

Joolsy Tue 06-Sep-16 15:54:41

I always buy for all the names on the invite but then I've never really had an invite from anyone who my daughter doesn't really know

PhotosGinAndALongLieIn Tue 06-Sep-16 16:52:11

I buy for whoever the invitation is from so if Molly invites my dc to her party that happens to be joint with Susan then I buy for Molly. If the invitation is "Please come to our party, love Molly and Susan" then I buy for both.

Gatehouse77 Tue 06-Sep-16 16:57:42

I would definitely send a card and probably a token gift of the generic kind.

lemony7 Tue 06-Sep-16 17:05:37

I had a joint party for my 4yo DD and another girl from nursery. We had loads of people that the other child didn't know, and didn't get gifts from them. We really didn't care tbh. Just glad that they all had a nice time.

Hockeydude Tue 06-Sep-16 17:07:53

I would get a sticker book kind of gift for the girl you don't know that well and get what you would usually have got for the other.

HereIAm20 Tue 06-Sep-16 17:25:10

I always buy the present I would normally buy for the friend and a token present for the other child/children (there are sometimes triple parties).

Its quite easy to pick up a cheapish but nice fluffy pen or notebook or girls very cheaply in places like Wilko or the Poundshop.

NellysKnickers Tue 06-Sep-16 17:26:05

I would get both a gift and have done but we can usually know both party givers. Ds1 was invited to a joint birthday party once, the little darlings actually came up to me in the playground to let me know that ds1 HAD to take them BOTH a gift, parents looking on adoringly...........that was a fun moment grin

Frusso Tue 06-Sep-16 17:26:14

dd was invited to a classmates party a couple of years back, the invite mentioned two names, had no idea who other child was.
it wasn't until we got there that I discovered known child was a twin, and the other twin went to a different school. and had invited their own set of friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now