Talk

Advanced search

AIBU and silly?

(17 Posts)
MeAndMy3LovelyBoys Tue 06-Sep-16 00:37:28

DS1 goes in to year 1 tomorrow (well, today actually! I can't sleep) and I'm worrying about how different it will be after Reception and Nursery. Also I'm worried that none of his friends will want to play with him and/or him getting bullied sad. I just want him to have a wonderful time at school and to be happy.
I think after so long with him being off school I'm feeling sad as I've really enjoyed the time with him.

I'll be welling up when he goes in tomorrow!

EttaJ Tue 06-Sep-16 00:46:50

I could have written that, many years ago. I always felt the same. I hated when my DC went back and went up a year, changed schools. He will be fine, honestly. Then you'll blink and he'll be leaving school and at college and then Uni/working . Try not to worry though that's easier said than done I know. 💐

MeAndMy3LovelyBoys Tue 06-Sep-16 01:06:29

I can't believe he's 5, nearly 6 already. That's gone quick enough 🙁
I worry also because he has trouble concentrating and paying attention, and how this will affect him not just with his learning, but with how his friends will see him and decide they don't like him. He's also tall (looks more like 7) and has just started wearing glasses (not a problem to me but his friends might pick on him)

The attention and concentration problems didn't really affect his learning in reception and he met all targets, but I wonder how he will cope in year 1. The glasses will come in useful if it has been his sight causing problems.

I'm rambling now. 1am and I'm lay awake thinking about stuff.

ClockMakerSue Tue 06-Sep-16 01:20:03

You sound like me-worrying about every possible thing that could happen even if someone more rational tells me why I shouldn't. See how you feel after tomorrow. YANBU, you're just anxious because it feels a bit out of your control after time together.

attheendoftheday Tue 06-Sep-16 01:24:42

My dd is going into y1 tomorrow/later today and I'm with you. I feel really phased by the idea she isn't in a play based curriculum any more.

I also worry a lot about her having friends and being happy at school. She has always appeared fine on these accounts, so my worry is not legitimate.

madeupusernames Tue 06-Sep-16 16:03:53

Have faith! It's amazing how resilient and adaptable our little loves can be xx

Gottagetmoving Tue 06-Sep-16 16:08:38

He will survive.
He will have good days and bad days but he will learn to cope. Try not to anticipate problems because you will drive yourself mad. It is just step one of letting go of your baby.

HeavenlyHeathen Tue 06-Sep-16 16:18:20

How did your DS get on op?

My DS went into year 1 today too. I said yesterday that today he was back at school and he did a fist pump, said " yes! I LOVE school"- which was lovely........he cried getting out the car this morning because he didn't want to go!

Needless to say he was fine wink

Beeziekn33ze Tue 06-Sep-16 16:19:18

I hope he enjoyed his day!

Chopstick17 Tue 06-Sep-16 17:19:33

You just have to do your best(get everything he needs like rest, good food, uniform etc) then let it happen. Too much fussing is detrimental. I see it all the time as a yr 1 TA . Helicopter parenting does nobody any good whatsoever. Bet he had a great day!

Skittlesss Tue 06-Sep-16 17:32:15

My DD just started yr one (at a new school also) and said it doesn't seem any harder than reception... I think kids adapt. They'll all be fine smile

Skittlesss Tue 06-Sep-16 17:32:31

*adapt easily

Chopstick17 Tue 06-Sep-16 17:35:17

Of course, Year 1 picks up where Reception left off so most are ready for it and they will be grouped casually for English and Maths to work with others who are at a similar level and ability.

MeAndMy3LovelyBoys Tue 06-Sep-16 17:42:33

Hi everyone.
DS had a good first day in year 1 smile
Apparently he did "nothing" grin
But his teacher said he has been fine and has had a good day.

ClockMakerSue Tue 06-Sep-16 17:43:30

That is great news :-)

Chopstick17 Tue 06-Sep-16 18:07:12

Brilliant. Of course that 'nothing' will have been very valuable time settling into routine, fine tuning social skills, listening to instructions and having a great fun with friends. I bet he slept well. Long may it continue. Breathe!

MeAndMy3LovelyBoys Tue 06-Sep-16 18:55:23

He's just told me that he "learned things" today grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now