Talk

Advanced search

Rats

(14 Posts)
booox Mon 05-Sep-16 21:00:46

Hi,

Might be jumping the gun but...

Rat spotted in neighbour's back yard and "pawed at back door".

She's been very shaken by it and envirocall are coming tomorrow. Which is fine and understandable. I haven't fed the birds since Feb/ March but am looking at a plum tree laden with semi ripe plums (I've picked off some for ripening. Waited about 10 years to get to that point.

Could she / they reasonably get concerned about my desire to grow fruit etc? I had a few strawbs and a good crop of figs coming.

Most likely to be the empty house next door and broken drain cover but still. Aibu to want to grow some fruit and veg?

Bloody cities.

Birdsgottafly Mon 05-Sep-16 21:48:02

You growing fruit hasn't added to you having Rats.

Is she sure that the rat at the back door, wasn't a pet rat that had escaped? It's unusual for them to do that.

ABloodyDifficultWoman Mon 05-Sep-16 21:51:40

Wild rats are extremely timid creatures - we get them occasionally and they run like fuck if they even hear the back door open. The thought that one might 'paw at the back' door is so ludicrous that I'd have to wonder about her state of mind.

idontlikealdi Mon 05-Sep-16 21:53:20

I had a rat at on our deck once stare me out - it definitely want scared...

user1473106504 Mon 05-Sep-16 21:53:25

The pawing at the door means its either a pet or a very cheeky rat

booox Tue 06-Sep-16 08:07:40

They're wild.

I had pet rats so I'm slightlynotbothered (unreasonable?) BUT I do know they can get out of hand and cause issues.

I think she's been struck by the bravery and cheekiness but worrying about germs on toys.

I've seen a couple over the last couple of months and kept quiet hoping they would go away as DH gets antsy too. If I saw evidence outside or more I was going to report it.

DH is now also getting antsy about leaving the back door open (the back is a small extension with kitchen at the back and living area with folding sliding doors across so all goes out into small back garden.

The gardens are not big so houses are all c close together. It's a town on the edge of the city, two school within 1min walk distance - plenty of dropped food around.

booox Tue 06-Sep-16 08:09:50

She saw it when it was raining (came to tell us as it disappeared our way) so I wonder if it was just thinking it could get in. She's surprised that the fact they have a cat isn't deterring it - cat is super timid though.

My rat would happily play all over our dogs but would freeze at the whiff of our cats.

justilou Tue 06-Sep-16 08:45:10

Absolutely petrified of rodents... Embarrassingly phobic, in fact. I certainly wouldn't want that to get in the way of a good crop of fruit. If you had chickens I might be resentful, but as long as the feed was stored correctly, I'd still fully respect your right to have them on your own property. People attract rats. End of.

booox Tue 06-Sep-16 09:06:36

Thanks Justilo.

What I resent the most is I won't be able to feed the birds this year. I managed to barter with DH how best to hang a coconut (he doesn't realise how well they climb) but neighbour says neighbours on the other side were told not to feed the birds. I did see a mouse dropping on it once. As far as I'm concerned you're going to get rodents, as long as they're outside and not a plague it's ok.

But I live surrounded by people who want fake grass and paved over giant drives.

I have developed a garden rule; either we can eat it or the bees etc like it.

Will just have to plant a million sun flowers next year!

booox Tue 06-Sep-16 09:08:35

I sometimes think it's a bit naive and a bit hypocritical to keep cats and freak out about a rat due to germs....

If only they knew what a cat can get up to!

heron98 Tue 06-Sep-16 09:17:42

What? It's just a rat. They are everywhere, I am not sure why she's upset.

The worst is at work (University campus). There are so many. I usually find a few dead ones on the way to work that have been poisoned overnight.

Incywincyspinster Tue 06-Sep-16 09:21:07

I think to was being rather polite by knocking. Most wild rats would afford that courtesy!

Soubriquet Tue 06-Sep-16 09:26:39

Some people get a bit OTT when it's wildlife invading their precious home.

I shouldn't think you will have to get rid of your fruit

What's with the bird feeding. Who told you no?

Cashewnutts Tue 06-Sep-16 09:27:10

Rats and mice are everywhere. Not feeding birds will not make them go away, and if they want to get inside, they'll find away. Closing doors won't deter that.
Unless your garden is a complete junk heap (I'll assume it's not and is lovely and well kept!) environmental health/pest controllers can't force anything. They will look for evidence of where the rodents are (if anywhere nearby) and target that area.

Tbh I think it's ridiculous how people get about rats and mice. Unless there is a huge infestation, then it's a bit inconvenient.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now