Talk

Advanced search

To not re-wash my clothes...

(25 Posts)
Tumtitum Mon 05-Sep-16 17:12:43

Which have now been rained on whilst out on the line, twice confused part of me thinks it's just an extra rinse, but another part of me thinks it's a bit like throwing my clothes in a puddle and not washing them!! I'm not very domesticated and would like to see others opinions so I can gauge how minging I really am! grin

icouldabeenacontender Mon 05-Sep-16 17:13:48

I'd have to re-wash.

DXBMermaid Mon 05-Sep-16 17:14:58

Do a smell test.
If they smell fine, just put them away. Otherwise wash again and dry inside this time?

littlemissneela Mon 05-Sep-16 17:16:47

I would rewash if they'd been out there for more than three days of rain, but a couple of times it should be fine.
Yes, I am speaking from experience ;)

NetballHoop Mon 05-Sep-16 17:17:12

Surely any muck in the rain would also be in the air that you were quite happy to dry your washing in?

I might put them through a spin cycle if they're very wet, but no way would I wash them again.

JellyMouldJnr Mon 05-Sep-16 17:18:18

I think of it like an extra rinse (clothes are softer after rainwater!) . Would only rewash if they seem dirty in some way.

bibbitybobbityyhat Mon 05-Sep-16 17:18:33

I would re-wash but I am quite fussy. Definitely after two soakings!

RachelLL92 Mon 05-Sep-16 17:18:37

I would rewash smile

DelicatePreciousThing1 Mon 05-Sep-16 17:19:02

Rain water is clean. Relatively clean... Puddles are on the ground.
What's the problem?

MyNewBearTotoro Mon 05-Sep-16 17:21:54

I wouldn't rewash.

Puddles are dirty because they collect mud/ grit/ animal urine etc off the ground. The rain that falls from the sky is clean and won't be picking up anything dirty.

I would only rewash if the clothes had been wet long enough to start to smell damp/ Mildewy but I'd say that's unlikely if they're outside in the open air and it's only been a few days.

user1471552005 Mon 05-Sep-16 17:27:23

Depends where you live.

In the middle of a big city rain is likely to be dirty with soot, exhaust fumes etc.

I live in a rural area, rainwater here is very clean, I would not rewash.

hairypaws Mon 05-Sep-16 17:29:04

I've happily left my washing out in the rain today. I'm hoping it will dry now the sun is out. Would never leave overnight but happy to leave out in the rain (couldn't be arsed going out in rain to collect washing).

AlwaysNeverOnTime Mon 05-Sep-16 17:35:01

No way would I re wash. My clothes don't come in until they are dry no matter how many times they've been rained on.

OliviaStabler Mon 05-Sep-16 17:38:49

I'd have to re-wash. The rain here is filthy grin

MylaMimi Mon 05-Sep-16 17:40:47

It's not that rainwater is dirty (although sometimes it can contain dirt) but more if the clothes have been dampened and then not dried properly again. i.e. are they fresh or musty.

badaboom Mon 05-Sep-16 17:43:02

Only if it's a dribble else I re-wash using the rinse and spin function.

Fluffyears Mon 05-Sep-16 17:43:06

It's fine it's just water.

Haudyerwheesht Mon 05-Sep-16 17:44:55

It'd depend if they smelt damp

GerdaLovesLili Mon 05-Sep-16 17:47:05

They smell nicer and feel nicer if they've been in a downpour and re-dried. I wouldn't wash them again.

LeonardInTheArgosBag Mon 05-Sep-16 17:47:56

I would not rewash.

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Mon 05-Sep-16 17:48:22

God no I wouldn't rewash unless they were smelly. But then I don't understand people who wash their clothes after one wear whether they're dirty or not. Some people have way too much time on their hands and no concern for the environment!

NellysKnickers Mon 05-Sep-16 17:48:30

No way would I re-wash. I love the smell of rained on clothes.

WeirdAndPissedOff Mon 05-Sep-16 17:48:53

I'd do a smell test too - they won't be dirty (unless you live in a sooty industrial area) but may be a little musty.

IrishMumLife Mon 05-Sep-16 17:51:37

Would re-wash as would want them to smell fresh.! But that's just mesmile

Tumtitum Mon 05-Sep-16 19:01:59

I'm very pleased with everyone's responses, my standards obviously aren't as low as I thought!! grinthey don't smell, a couple of things still have slightly damp patches so will hang them to dry indoors now and that'll be the end of that! I hate wasting electricity, water etc so very pleased to not rewash them smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now